milled wax + e.max = open margins

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Alright, I'm back after doing a bunch of experimenting. This forum is awesome so the least I can do if add my thoughts to someone's search.

The wax was 75% of the problem. I read a bunch on here about machinable wax, but in my lab the resin did affect the fit. I went back to the Harvest stuff and 75% of the problem disappeared! Wax is cheap, don't cheap out on it!

the remaining problem was milling too thin with certain die shapes. Especially barrel shapes with undercuts that were very thin. I've increased my minimum thickness to .7mm in the mill.

And finally tweaked my mix ratios in investment to tighen it a smidge.

I didn't want to go back to slow burnout if I didn't have to.

Problem solved!

Thanks everyone.
only fixed 75% of the prob?
i have been playing around with a dozen or so milling waxes until i found some decent ones. TDs wax is nice, the zirlux wax is decent, whipmix vericore wax is okay, so far jensens milling wax gives me the best results continuously. im always looking for that right mixture of resin/wax to get the best results.

D

dandyfop

Reaction score
Well it was a combination of wax and milling too thin. I would actually think, if I had more time to experiment, that the too thin problem only exists with older burrs. But switching wax was huge. 'Machinable Wax' sucks for e.max, at least in my lab. Harvest for the win!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Well it was a combination of wax and milling too thin. I would actually think, if I had more time to experiment, that the too thin problem only exists with older burrs. But switching wax was huge. 'Machinable Wax' sucks for e.max, at least in my lab. Harvest for the win!
query

when you milled thicker, did you design thicker or design the same but result was thicker? also do you mean Thicker Margins, or thicker walls ?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
query

when you milled thicker, did you design thicker or design the same but result was thicker? also do you mean Thicker Margins, or thicker walls ?
i would guess both.
i had noticed awhile back when miling wax copings for casting that if i milled them at .35mm the fit was....unpredictable. but just bumping up wall and margin thickness to .4mm i get more consistent results on each mill.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
The trick with risen wax is to soak at entry with low temperature in the burnout oven, something like 200f for 20 minuets and not to press in the smallest ring but the one with ample room(investment) around wax patterns so ring won’t crack if any wax expansion.
I use TD wax and Bego investment with no issues.

Last edited:
D

dandyfop

Reaction score
The trick with risen wax is to soak at entry with low temperature in the burnout oven, something like 200f for 20 minuets and not to press in the smallest ring but the one with ample room(investment) around wax patterns so ring won’t crack if any wax expansion.
I use TD wax and Bego investment with no issues.

I have no doubt that this is the case. But good wax is cheeaapp...

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
The best wax that we've tried so far is Argen's carvable wax. We haven't seen the margins flare open when pressing e.max, or LiSi with this wax. We use Tallladium's Galaxy II investment with this wax.

https://www.argen.com/store/products/4266

Top Bottom