Delcam Cad for "closed" systems

R

restorativeinc

Reaction score
I just spoke with Mike at Diadem, he was telling me about a software project that the guys a Delcam have been working on called DelCAD Exchange. It is suppose to convert the files of closed systems to STL. Has anyone else heard about this? I have been told it will be around $5000.00 and should be up and running by the end of the year???

I know that AXP dental was offering something similar, but has since gone out of business.

Any thoughts?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
CIMSystems sells DentalShaper.

I have it and love it. I bought from AXP, but still get updates and support direct from software manuf.

Way ahead of DelCam Exchange! I make digital models with mine! DelCam does not even have this started I dont think.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I just spoke with Mike at Diadem, he was telling me about a software project that the guys a Delcam have been working on called DelCAD Exchange. It is suppose to convert the files of closed systems to STL. Has anyone else heard about this? I have been told it will be around $5000.00 and should be up and running by the end of the year???

I know that AXP dental was offering something similar, but has since gone out of business.

Any thoughts?

Yes, I have a Delcam scanner, and the software comes with the Exchange.

Will post more later today once I hear back from Delcam

Edit: Delcam has several translators for closed systems . Delcam can take scan files from Lava and Procera and either scan or design files from Sirona )CDT). These translators are options on DentCad and DentMill . There are some other formats they support as well.

Last edited:
R

restorativeinc

Reaction score
Thanks. I plan on contacting them (Delcam) myself also. I was just wondering what the general thoughts were/are on this.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
What do you mean general thoughts??
It's a new software that is hardly running.

DentalShaper is 10x better when run as add-on to Rhino.

Exchange has zero CAD features. Also, no fast way to narrow down the mesh you really want.

Charles has probably not used either. I have used both. DentalShaper is available on 30day trial and is my hands down favorite for now.

www.CIMsystem.com

Last edited:
R

restorativeinc

Reaction score
What do you mean general thoughts??
It's a new software that is hardly running.

DentalShaper is 10x better when run as add-on to Rhino.

Exchange has zero CAD features. Also, no fast way to narrow down the mesh you really want.

Charles has probably not used either. I have used both. DentalShaper is available on 30day trial and is my hands down favorite for now.

www.CIMsystem.com

Thanks. I am aware and familiar with Rhino and DentalShaper. I was asking about the Delcad software and if anyone had any experience or thoughts on it with respect to it's abitlity to convert closed system files to stl. I know its new and not even released yet, but thought that someone had an opinion...thanks for yours!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
well, you are not going to get too many others that have actually used both to answer you.

Go ahead and download a demo of both and answer your own questions.

Delcam Contact Map

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
(never mind...waste of breath)

Last edited:
R

restorativeinc

Reaction score
Again, thanks for your thoughts.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
adl.dropbox.com_u_2586482_SreenShots_bump_that.png

That seems steep. Also, the dang program left a text popup permanently on my screen. I have closed the program, and I have this on my screen. Look at this meta screenshot of my writing this post.

adl.dropbox.com_u_2586482_SreenShots_what_the_heck.png

That "examples..." bubble will not go away, and they want $70 per file! I couldn't find the full license cost, is it only a pay per use?
adl.dropbox.com_u_2586482_SreenShots_bump_that.png adl.dropbox.com_u_2586482_SreenShots_what_the_heck.png

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Also, no fast way to narrow down the mesh you really want.

It looks like you just place a checkbox next to the ones you want and it highlights them. Seems easy enough :) I just opened up 5 or so different sirona files with it does open them. It's faster at loading them then the CEREC software.

Also, I got the bubble to go away, i guess my computer just needed a minute to part with it :)

I understand now that the pay per use is if you get the program as a standalone but if it comes with your dentcad, then it's included and there is no fee per file? Am I understanding that correctly? Because that makes sense.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You have to call DelCam and tell them how much money you have.

They will then get back to you with a "custom" pricing. LOL

Diadem Precision

Diadem Precision

Reaction score
Guys,

the Delcam Exchange may not be the best on the market right now - but once the new release comes out it will do exactly what is suppose to: convert "closed system files" to STL's.
But that is only step one. Step two will be to dial in all these systems so that a restoration designed with Sirona let's say can be milled successfully (with our Roeders mils) and also fit properly. You know - setting the right tool compensation, margin thickness, cement spacer and so on.
If you think about it this will enable almost every closed system user out there to get any type of restoration from any open milling center.
I cannot wait to see that day!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Your are behind the ball my friend.

Jump ship from DelCam and step-into CIMSystems.

Your dream has been a reality for quite a while Mitch.

CimSystem - Dental Solutions - Products

Easy. Drag in file, one click! Export stl ready to go.

DentalShaper w/Rhino = 10x better than DelCam exchange.

Period. Why wait for DelCam. The project is finished!

Tool compensation is directly related to your mill and your tools. That should be already set in your CAM and should be the same for every tooth you mill. No? We do not use Sirona's mesh with the stupid radius compensation for the Sirona type burs. Looks rediculous.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
DentalShaper will also import a raw Dr.'s scan and prepare the raw data for model creation. We make Itero looking models using it. Very much way better then the DelCam solution. (because they don't have it)

What are you going to do with a raw, encryptd Sirona Dr.'s scan Mitch?

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It looks like you just place a checkbox next to the ones you want and it highlights them. Seems easy enough :) I just opened up 5 or so different sirona files with it does open them. It's faster at loading them then the CEREC software.

Also, I got the bubble to go away, i guess my computer just needed a minute to part with it :)

I understand now that the pay per use is if you get the program as a standalone but if it comes with your dentcad, then it's included and there is no fee per file? Am I understanding that correctly? Because that makes sense.

LOL. Wait untill you get 3M Lava bridge files with over Thirty meshs! You will get so fokn sick of clicking meshs on/off that you will go insane in 20minutes.

No way to set a Marco to make one click. In DentalShaper, We have all types of Dental files broken into groups with specific icons/functions. We have a left and right click on different icons we made in Rhino to make life so easy.

It is a MUST HAVE.

Last edited:
Diadem Precision

Diadem Precision

Reaction score
Your are behind the ball my friend.

Jump ship from DelCam and step-into CIMSystems.

Your dream has been a reality for quite a while Mitch.

CimSystem - Dental Solutions - Products

Easy. Drag in file, one click! Export stl ready to go.

DentalShaper w/Rhino = 10x better than DelCam exchange.

Period. Why wait for DelCam. The project is finished!

Tool compensation is directly related to your mill and your tools. That should be already set in your CAM and should be the same for every tooth you mill. No? We do not use Sirona's mesh with the stupid radius compensation for the Sirona type burs. Looks rediculous.

Scott,

I agree that there are other companies with good software out there.
We have a long lasting relationship with Delcam and trust their products. Also, I'm looking at this from a different perspective - our business model asks for complete automation - we are not a lab - we only work with labs.
This means that we don't have time to play with each case/file (no matter how much I would like it) :)
We need something that can be used on a larger scale.
I do like and enjoy our "conversations" - you really know a lot about this!

Mitch