Asking for community assistance in creating a digital denture

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, If this guy survived the Nazis, I'd like him to be my test trial in a compare and contrast in dentures. What Mill System do you recommend for the end product?
printed prob. CaraPrint, Formlabs, NextDent, etc

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Thanks, If this guy survived the Nazis, I'd like him to be my test trial in a compare and contrast in dentures. What Mill System do you recommend for the end product?
I have had them milled and printed on many different types of machines. It's not the machine so much as the collection of the data. We start with a printed duplicate of the patients denture. Using a light bodied impression material or hydrocast the printed denture is 'relined' then scanned. The fit has most everything to do with the elimination of processing errors/ shrinkage.

H

Holly93

Reaction score
I have had them milled and printed on many different types of machines. It's not the machine so much as the collection of the data. We start with a printed duplicate of the patients denture. Using a light bodied impression material or hydrocast the printed denture is 'relined' then scanned. The fit has most everything to do with the elimination of processing errors/ shrinkage.
So do I make a premium denture and then scan the end product into a STL File? The patient is having extractions so there no current denture. Thanks

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
So do I make a premium denture and then scan the end product into a STL File? The patient is having extractions so there no current denture. Thanks
scan models and bite, or get digital scans of the mouth and send those off to be manufactured. compare the two that way imho

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
You are going to start with an immediate denture just like any other situation that you are transitioning a patient like this.
Once their tissue stabilizes a reline and some scans get you started. I don't have time to type out a how to, but you are far from making this a reality right now.

Last edited:
H

Holly93

Reaction score
Post a pic when you're done please.
Flippercentral, I am going to make a side by side comparison as a post. Makes me shake in my boots a little, I've always been reluctant to share my work with more experienced denturists.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Flippercentral, I am going to make a side by side comparison as a post. Makes me shake in my boots a little, I've always been reluctant to share my work with more experienced denturists.
don't worry about it. everyone's a critic. as long as it passes your tests it doesnt matter what anyone else (besides the patient) thinks.

its still a great tool though; it can help boost your own confidence, and help others who are still on the fence who may be looking at the pros/cons like you are.

most of what people will tell you about the process is of little import anyway. no matter how you slice it you are glueing two things together. everytime.

digital dentures advances are coming down the pipe but they may be a bit extreme for some people. a bit too far fetched. thats more or less why the first step in this digital age for denturism had to be mimicking the waxing, elsewise the only people with inklings of the future would be the people literally pioneering it and nobody else. there had to be a way for people to translate their skills in the hand-made world.

and now we have at least 4 methods with varying esthetics and varying skill levels all with some amount of hand finishing required. none of them allow you to pull a finished denture out of a machine (yet).

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

I know the feeling, I've shared my work . There isn't a perfect denture, so as long as someone doesn't say it looks "shiny" then you're ok , lol.

H

Holly93

Reaction score
don't worry about it. everyone's a critic. as long as it passes your tests it doesnt matter what anyone else (besides the patient) thinks.

its still a great tool though; it can help boost your own confidence, and help others who are still on the fence who may be looking at the pros/cons like you are.

most of what people will tell you about the process is of little import anyway. no matter how you slice it you are glueing two things together. everytime.

digital dentures advances are coming down the pipe but they may be a bit extreme for some people. a bit too far fetched. thats more or less why the first step in this digital age for denturism had to be mimicking the waxing, elsewise the only people with inklings of the future would be the people literally pioneering it and nobody else. there had to be a way for people to translate their skills in the hand-made world.

and now we have at least 4 methods with varying esthetics and varying skill levels all with some amount of hand finishing required. none of them allow you to pull a finished denture out of a machine (yet).
Out of curiosity what are the 4 methods available?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
H

Holly93

Reaction score
denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Any process has its strengths and weaknesses...As technicians it is up to us to maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Thanks,
I am in the SF Bay area. There is a local company "carbon", https://www.carbon3d.com. They need an stl file to help me. I suppose I could ask a client to help me create one. Thanks HMN
Unless you can afford leasing Carbon printer, check another company. Digital dentures are not there yet, ask anyone how they can give you a digital VDO or VRD? It does not exist yet . All FDA approved pink material are not for permanent use. The max is 3years if any. Some even for 6 months but no one will tell you that. Do your homework before you waste your money. Just my opinion.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
so I just made a partial denture from a Trios scan.
...and the analog denture lab didn't .

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Dr. Valerie Cooper (recently married so now Dr. Valerie McMillan) presented at the IDT show last year and some other events. She had traditional dentures made for patients and then made digital versions. Both were scanned and put into comparison software. The digital versions were more accurate and fit better because there were less manufacturing steps and therefore less chances for lost tolerances. This short video touches on her thoughts on the topic. If you have a chance to see her present the results of her studies were impressive.

H

Holly93

Reaction score
Unless you can afford leasing Carbon printer, check another company. Digital dentures are not there yet, ask anyone how they can give you a digital VDO or VRD? It does not exist yet . All FDA approved pink material are not for permanent use. The max is 3years if any. Some even for 6 months but no one will tell you that. Do your homework before you waste your money. Just my opinion.
I can afford to lease a carbon printer, but last time I check the company setup is a 4 year commitment, 3-4 Thousand a month. I would be deficit spending to offer this service, especially when all of my clinics prefer the old method. Maybe in a year or two, right now I don't see a reason to be an early adopter.