Castable resin from 3d printer

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hello all !! I will need some help . I had a file printed with a 3d systems Object 6000 , resin used was visijet e-stone . My question is if the resin is ash free and can be burned out at 800 degrees celcius . Any input is welcome since I have zero experience with printed materials , this was my first . Thanks

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Hello all !! I will need some help . I had a file printed with a 3d systems Object 6000 , resin used was visijet e-stone . My question is if the resin is ash free and can be burned out at 800 degrees celcius . Any input is welcome since I have zero experience with printed materials , this was my first . Thanks

Good Morning Drizzt!

My experience with working with printed patterns and talking to others that use printed patterns is that most are suitable for pressing or casting. The main issue with them is that they should be burned out slowly from a cold oven. If put into a hot oven the resin will expand quickly before melting and will cause the ring to crack. Here is the program I suggest that I know works well for me:

5C per minute to 250C and hold for 30 minutes
5C per minute to 850C then hold as you would for the ring you are using (45 minutes for a 100gr, 1 hour for 200gr) adding 15minutes for each ring after the first two.

Hope this helps!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I know there are some semantics about the temp of a cold oven under 200c or something is considered a cold oven. I am not sure where I have heard this you mean room temp?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I know there are some semantics about the temp of a cold oven under 200c or something is considered a cold oven. I am not sure where I have heard this you mean room temp?

Sorry! Yes I mean a room temperature oven, which would make sense (to me) with the parameters I gave since it would not make sense (to me) to only go from 200C to 250C for the first stage. In my opinion if the temperature is hotter than I would want it to be for a good day at the beach, than that is a hot oven.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Good Morning Drizzt!

My experience with working with printed patterns and talking to others that use printed patterns is that most are suitable for pressing or casting. The main issue with them is that they should be burned out slowly from a cold oven. If put into a hot oven the resin will expand quickly before melting and will cause the ring to crack. Here is the program I suggest that I know works well for me:

5C per minute to 250C and hold for 30 minutes
5C per minute to 850C then hold as you would for the ring you are using (45 minutes for a 100gr, 1 hour for 200gr) adding 15minutes for each ring after the first two.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply Patrick !!

I talked with a friend who was using the same printer , I sent him a pic of my printed prototype , and unfortunately it is the material that models are made of , so it is not castable .

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Patrick !!

I talked with a friend who was using the same printer , I sent him a pic of my printed prototype , and unfortunately it is the material that models are made of , so it is not castable .

:(

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
3d printers can use different materials right? Could you use a different printable material?

3D BioCAD

3D BioCAD

Reaction score
Objet Printer from Stratasys sold castable materiel it called MED 610 not sure your printer fit this material or not
contact your reseller or Strasys customer service North America +1 800-801-6491 (toll free) +1 952-906-2225
We use Stratasys Eden 500 and Ortho Desk for RPD and surgical guide that used MED610

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
The guy that printed this , doesn't use anything else because he is printing only models , and to use something else he told me he needs to change some parts of the printer , or something like that .

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Sorry! Yes I mean a room temperature oven, which would make sense (to me) with the parameters I gave since it would not make sense (to me) to only go from 200C to 250C for the first stage. In my opinion if the temperature is hotter than I would want it to be for a good day at the beach, than that is a hot oven.

I have learned not to assume anymore I have been wrong too many times. I had a boss that was a huge pain about following his half assed directions. I am also not super familiar with Celsius.

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
3d printers can use different materials right? Could you use a different printable material?
it would be simple to do. its a digital file, send to somewhere else with a printer that uses visijet resin; theres a few kinds that work nicely, namely the visijet m3 dentcast (which i use) seems to burn out fine just sticking it straight into a 1500 deg oven.

the printer in question is a 3dsystems ProJet 6000 not Object 6000 (just for clarity sake)

Drizzt, feel like sending it all the way to Canada ? lets work something out!

Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
Hey Dimitris, why not mill it out of Peek?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

I'm sure you could find a printed material that is closer to the properties of wax and then a speed burnout may work fine. Just the whens I have used and am familiar with require the long burnout.

Of course this can work very well in the lab. You just print, sprue, and invest all day. Then at the end of the day you load your cold (room temperature oven) and set it to come on in the middle of the night to burn out. When you arrive in the morning everything is hot and ready to go and you press and cast everything, turn your ovens off to cool, and start again for the next day. This has the added benefit of running your energy sucking burnout furnaces at the lowest energy cost times of the day.

Top Bottom