Blah hiossen

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, thanks Tayeb...it's just that now seeing the photo Riley posted (#17),changed my perspective a bit.

Edit: Tayeb, I hope I didn't sound like I had my hands on my hips calling you out in my previous post# 13. Sometimes I don't word things to well.
Do not worry, I was taken back a pit, we are all friends. I needed to explain because I thought you misunderstood my post. I fabricate these kind of implants everyday. Some of them you look at and scratch your head and do and fix the best way possible.

Last edited:
K

Kristopher Devers

Reaction score
i don't like hiossen. Anyways
A doctor sends me case and he orders the abutment. It's gold anodized at margin. Problem is margin is above the gum line and it's just a ledge of a margin so I can't cut it down right? What do I do with this thing?
View attachment 19430

I would personally leave that margin right where it is. It's on lingual so esthetics doesn't matter. And Im not so sure you can make it more hygienic....even if you do I don't think it will make a clinical difference. Just my two cents....I'd be mostly interested in hearing what the treating doctor thinks.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Its one of the biggest problems on these fixtures when the dr does not do his job and sink the implant appropriately for the fixture he is using.

Hiossen makes a 1mm and a 3mm cuff on the majority of their abutments and I could tell that this was the 1mm, just be glad this a is a post. unit :)

The work around as many has stated is to prep that high lip flat over extend the margin and your gold.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I would personally leave that margin right where it is. It's on lingual so esthetics doesn't matter. And Im not so sure you can make it more hygienic....even if you do I don't think it will make a clinical difference. Just my two cents....I'd be mostly interested in hearing what the treating doctor thinks.

Dr said to leave it. I can't stop thinking of all the food that will be packed under that thing.

Its one of the biggest problems on these fixtures when the dr does not do his job and sink the implant appropriately for the fixture he is using.

Hiossen makes a 1mm and a 3mm cuff on the majority of their abutments and I could tell that this was the 1mm, just be glad this a is a post. unit :)

The work around as many has stated is to prep that high lip flat over extend the margin and your gold.

I'm going to leave it as doctor said to do, but are you saying grind the margin flush with the axial wall of the abutment?

Do you like working with hiossen cases? I've always hated them.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We have our own CAD solution using stock parts that I have implemented and it works great for us

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
The tissue will fill/fall in there almost right after insert. Give it 2 weeks of the patient keeping it clean and it will be fine. Just a supra gingival lingual margin. I see your point though. custom would have been better but old DR gotta stack that paper!

K

Kristopher Devers

Reaction score
The tissue will fill/fall in there almost right after insert. Give it 2 weeks of the patient keeping it clean and it will be fine. Just a supra gingival lingual margin. I see your point though. custom would have been better but old DR gotta stack that paper!
Tissue may not change but chances are pretty good it will. When the surgeon placed it....it could have been deeper then it appears now....any infections or healing complications can cause bone and gingival recession that could have finally stabilized at this level.

Bentchase

Bentchase

Reaction score
Potential learning experience for me. I wouldn't even think twice about prepping the lingual margin down the abutment. As long as I'm not creating an undercut or prepping directly to the implant platform, I'd consider myself/patient good especially where he is at the tissue level and Dr would be able to excessively clean off cement. The color of the Ti will be there but......lingual.
My thoughts.....
What am I missing? Why doesn't anyone want to prep abutment???

Thank you, my name is Chase and I'm running for president......cough cough, FROM president!

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I've been working with these Hiossen situations for some time. I believe they offer two Cuff sizes of plastic/ gold cylinders. Also it is tough to do ( do to somewhat thin abutment walls) but with a series of burs.I've been able to mill them down. Takes me about 20 minutes plus/ minus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

CB93

CB93

Reaction score
I would just leave that abutment alone. No need to prep the margin area.

That abutment has the 1.0 mm cuff height. It is very short but the abutment emergence from the implant platform is optimized. No food trap, and yes the tissue will fill in under the margin area.

John is right, the implant should have been placed deeper. At least 2.0 mm deeper, or even 3. There are many advantages to this. Primarily maintenance of the bone and tissue level.

I don't use Hiossen but its a good system if used correctly.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Any implant system can work or be miserable given the myriad situations we see clinically.

Some pt just have very thin mucosa/gums, and to place it deep, means removing crestal bone which is already
precious little to begin with. The longer after the extraction, the more infection/abscess around tooth, the
less bone. Gums can be thick or thin, not every pt willing to go for bone and/or soft tissue grafting
for ideal outcomes. Food trap around implants common problem, as long as pt understand going forwards.
LCM

Jaemin Lee

Jaemin Lee

Reaction score
Hmm..

Actually the mother company of Hiossen is Osstem, Korean company. And I ve been using their fixtures more than 2000 in 3years. Maybe they can not be one of the best company in this industry, I can tell you that Osstem is also a reliable company from my experience. Well, but I think I have to admit that if I were in the US I wouldn't use Osstem.

Anyway in my opinion, the supra margin of the abutment is not that important. If you can set cr margin just on the abutment margin I think there won't be any food packing cause still there is wide area beneath the margin. And yes, the doctor should have placed implant deeper than this. But it wont be a big trouble.

One thing I am worried about more than that is this fixture might be placed too lingually. In that case, the cr can be overcontoured lingually. Or you should make lingual side of cr very thin.

In case the abutment is centered properly then you don need to do anything but if it's too lingually positioned, I think you should prep the lingual side of the abutment body. And leave the margin as it is.

Well.. But I think you'll do better than I do. Good luck on this case!

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Another question. That gold colored section of the abutment...when I anodize the entire abutment that section gets a kind of corroded film on it. What's the story there?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Another question. That gold colored section of the abutment...when I anodize the entire abutment that section gets a kind of corroded film on it. What's the story there?
That area may be nitrite coated rather than anodized??

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Can you polish away the nitrite coating, then anodize the abutment?
Probably, haven't tried it though. Nitrite coating is really thin, but a bit more durable than anodizing.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Probably, haven't tried it though. Nitrite coating is really thin, but a bit more durable than anodizing.
I can polish it off. Sounds like it's nitrite. I called a Hio distributor last week and all they'd said is that they are Ti abutments and I could anodize. Didn't mention what the gold section was.

Thanjs

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Try using a brass bristle brush,you'll get a nice warm colour.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We do not anodize the Hiossen transfer abutments, for this reason. I was wondering if you were to dip the gold part in a wax pot would it shield it? I know the current runs through the entire abutment, just wonder if the oxide would still form there ?

Hmm something to play with next week