base plates

T

twaite

Reaction score
my base plates for full upper dentures are loose and dropping out of the mouth and the patients feel like their
lips are too bulky. How can I make them tighter without scratching the models. Currently I use Henry Schein light cure
base plate material and I block out the anterior with putty.

T

J

jobu

Reaction score
Your best bet is to only block out severe undercuts. Most of the accounts that I work for that make their own base-plates over block out. block out is only to prevent damaging the model during the process of try-ins and finishing. For the most part I don't block out the models unless there is severe undercuts. I also place the post dam in the model before I make the base plate. This helps to ensure that the posterior border is comfortable for the patient. It also helps with suction during try in. If there are any problems with the depth or placement of the post dam these conditions can be altered before finish. This will be one less aspect of the finished denture that can be ascertained before finish.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I agree with jobu I put a luckman in many baseplates. But then I still do processed baseplates, tracings & use old school stuff like papillameter toget maxillary baseplate ready for vdc with speach, tens, & other measurements alameter vertimeter, sometimes I get facebow or just a t for leveling.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
i block out my baseplates like a dual path of insertion partial ie minimal anterior blockout but i blockout the rugae and posterior undercuts around the tuberositys. generally get a very good fit with suction.

J

jobu

Reaction score
Also, if the patients feels your base plate occlusal rims are too bulky, you may want to use an Alma gauge. I place the labial wax rim at 10mm on the horizontal of the Alma gauge. It is rare that the doctor has to adjust the wax.
this should help you with the bulkiness and should even help you with tooth placement of totally edentious patients.