Screw coming loose repeatedly!! Whats wrong?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Nobody has asked this, but did you do any adjustments, polishing, or blasting (glass or sand) on the interface (hex) area of the crown? This area should never be changed in any way. Any adjustments in this area will allow that small movement of the crown, loosening the screw over time.

A

AKDental

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply but to answer your question: no I did not touch the area below the lip of abutment in any way except when I held it in my hands.

Update: so I had a custom abutment made(ordered by doc) and made a crown that fits nicely_imo. And I will let you guys know how that goes when I find out. Will probably be a while though. But thanks to everyone who offered their advice to me. Oh and BTW, to dess, I really like your guys ti bases which I do use frequently, and their tech support guy Keith is super helpful. Thanks! ...he spent a lot of time with me on this case.

M

MolarMania

Reaction score
Loctite- an absolute no-no for many obvious reasons
Bone interface issue causing impingement would have pretty much been solved after the first “retightening” to a specific torque. Especially if a new screw was used. The bone would have receded by then. Remember also once a thread on the screw is stretched the true characteristics of the screw/implant interface properties are changed. You do want some thread stretch, but that is defined by the manufacturer.
Was it torqued to manufacturers recommendations? Is the dentist’s wrench calibrated properly or is it 18 years old?
Notice the angulation of the implant and direction of the opposing arch forces. Make sure to leave out of occlusion in all excursion movements. Just hope that cheek biting won’t be an issue If you have to relieve the entire buccal cusp.
Definitely do not polish the connection.

Dess has some great quality products. Their products are machined to high tolerances with quality alloys. Don’t be fooled by by gaugers.

Just some thoughts. Glad the new case is in and hope all goes well!

A

AKDental

Reaction score
Thanks for the info molar mania. I believe the dentists tools are working as they are supposed to but haven't personally checked or questioned him about it. I think it is just the severe angle of the implant and placement....which is tooth#14 and it starts centered but comes out towards the buccal/mesial and ends up with screw channel exiting the cusp almost on the outer(buccal) side so any biting actions I feel would constantly be causing a loosening type force on the screw. But I am surely no expert. That's just my guess. Anyways thanks again. Still haven't heard from doc yet so maybe it is ok this time. Oh amd he said he wanted the custom abutment so that he could cement himself and hopefully the cement would act as a (forgot the term he used ) shock absorbing agent.

A

AKDental

Reaction score
Oh and I agree DESS HAS EXCELLENT PRODUCTS ESPECIALLY THEIR TIBASE. IF U NEED A WP NOBEL ACTIVE OR HIOSSEN THEY HAVE. Didn't find them elsewhere.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Not sure if it has been said yet your not. But if its a custom abutment you need to use the screw from them and not the manufacturers screw. Otherwise it will come loose eventually in my experience. Depending on who milled it there screws will be different. Like an Atlantis abutment Nobel Biocare you can't just use a Nobel screw from Nobel. It will fail.

A

AKDental

Reaction score
Hey thanks for that info. That is something that I feel like I would eventually encounter but would not know for sure and would probably incorrectly assume that manufacturer screw is ok...I will let the doc know. Thanks!!
(Also just wanted to throw in my own little "2 cents", but this goes out to all the implant manufacturers/aftermarket/3rd party/etc... companies involved.......WHY??!!! Implant can be so unnecessarily complicated. I wish I could take one of those implant screws and fire It into my brain!
....but then I would have to double check to make sure the bullet "access hole" is the right size depending upon. Whether the screw is oem or aftermarket and gun is a actual or replica a otherwise misfire/failure would occur.) OK sorry guys for the lame joke.