Soaking Models in water?

Darren S

Darren S

Reaction score
Quick hopefully simple question. We use a pour techniques for our dentures. Sometimes I see my tech soaking the models with the wax up on them for hours even over night at times with the wax up on them. They say it makes them easier to take off the models for the wax try ins. I have never used or seen this technique before. My question is this, Will it effect the final fit of the denture (loose) or not. I don't believe the stone would expand to create a loos fit. But we are getting some dentures with a loose fit after processing. The try ins do have a good fit. We are using light cure base plates for the try in. As long as they aren't on back order.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The model will demineralize and become softer after about 30 minutes. Bad idea.

Presoak for 5 minutes before something or after is one thing.

The presoak is to get the air bubbles out of the stone so they don't rise into the acrylic and so that the stone is fully saturated and less likely to have the acryilic soak into the stone.

Get them some separator. DVA by APS is my choice, but others with respected opinions like others better for their own reasons.

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score
You can soak in distilled water or the clearer part of slurry water to help prevent demineralization. According to the handbook at least.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
How about a liquid soak that permanently fills the pores, yet when dried, doesn't bond to acrylic?

Liquid wax, glass, floor shine, soap......Any experimenters????

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
How about a liquid soak that permanently fills the pores, yet when dried, doesn't bond to acrylic?

Liquid wax, glass, floor shine, soap......Any experimenters????
I use diluted dish soap applied with a tooth brush. blow off the excess solution.

1629466759940.png

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
You can soak in distilled water or the clearer part of slurry water to help prevent demineralization. According to the handbook at least.
Distilled water will dissolve the most minerals the quickest as there are no minerals in the water and more room in solution to pick up ions. SDS which is the clear part of slurry when it sits overnight has the maximum amount of ions it can hold in solution, making it the most likely not to etch the model. What handbook says you can used distilled water. I could be wrong, but this is what I remember from chemistry 2 lab.