3shape Digital Denture Confusion

N

Nem12

Reaction score
Hi! Me again!

Back at it with 3shape and digital dentures, but now with more confusion!

I'm working on a denture try in and the casts have some pretty gruesome undercuts at the anterior on upper and lower (and that info may be superfluous),because what I'm really curious/confused about is...what is the significance of INSERTION DIRECTION in 3shape at the Survey/Block Out stage? Does 3shape just have a default insertion direction and should you go with it? If not, how would you determine a better insertion direction?

Thanks for any advice! I'm sorry if this is a complete novice question...I'm still learning!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
On the survey/block out stage you position the 'arrow' to where you get more or less undercuts, especially on the labial area. You want some undercut (3shape makes it a yellow color),but not too much (orange or red color). Too much undercut will make it so the mill won't be able to mill it out.

N

Nem12

Reaction score
On the survey/block out stage you position the 'arrow' to where you get more or less undercuts, especially on the labial area. You want some undercut (3shape makes it a yellow color),but not too much (orange or red color). Too much undercut will make it so the mill won't be able to mill it out.
Thanks, LabGuy! You're my hero!

And for a follow up to that...with possibly an even dumber question...is the insertion direction information I have to pass on to the dentist or is it really just something that they'd be able to figure out while trying it on the patient? I would think it'd be obvious in a "this way fits" vs. "this way causes a lot of pain and does not fit," but stranger things have happened.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
My 5 yr old should be able to figure out insertion direction, but I will always leave room for people to be people.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
My 5 yr old should be able to figure out insertion direction, but I will always leave room for people to be people.
You've worked with Dentists too long...lol

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you should be able to "balance" the amount of undercut in the front vs the sides of the ridge for most evenly distributed undercut, so that you not only have ease of insertion for the patient but retention is even all the way around if possible.

N

Nem12

Reaction score
I figured they should be able to figure it out....but sometimes they still surprise the heck out of me. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice!