Astron self adjusting splint material

C

CShof

Reaction score
Doesn't Astron also make ULTRAflex? Both say they can made into splints and should be soaked in warm water before insertion for a better fit. What's the difference between the two?

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything dental about Ultraflex; could they have changed the name?
The Astron stuff sounds like the Versacryl material but you can't make an entire appliance out of Versacryl, or your not suppose to.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Ultra Flex and Clear Splint are both from Astron.

Ultra Flex is a little cheaper than the Clear Splint and I'm going out on a limb; but I say they are the same material in different packaging. I have used both.

I prefer the Ultra Flex.. I have made acrylic partials with the stuff and it's okay.... Works really well for NGs' and i use it on a regular basis.. Very temperamental material..

One word; they use the term flexible, however it is not of the flexibility like that of FRS or Valsplast.

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
-Brian, I was looking at it for nightguards; do you invest and pour it? How self adjusting is it; will it correct for minor cast distortion? What do you charge for Ultraflex vs regular hard acrylic nightguard. I get $115 for hard acrylic - includes mounting and all stages of work; I s&P, cold cure.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
-Brian, I was looking at it for nightguards; do you invest and pour it? How self adjusting is it; will it correct for minor cast distortion? What do you charge for Ultraflex vs regular hard acrylic nightguard. I get $115 for hard acrylic - includes mounting and all stages of work; I s&P, cold cure.

Invest and pack. Trial pack once and final close; do it rather quickly. Cure @ 127 for 2 hours. They say you can pour, however the possibility of cloudiness exists. ( I don't recommend) I find the material very forgiving. Run under hot tap water for 45sec to a minute, pat dry and insert.

Feed back is that the patients find them very comfortable and little to no adjustment on the clinical side. I charge $160.00 a pop. My regular hard NG $145.00

C

CShof

Reaction score
At my old lab we poured them. He's right, had a bit of cloudiness to them, I always blamed it on the polishing but it could have been the pouring.

Feed back is that the patients find them very comfortable and little to no adjustment on the clinical side.
Same here.

Since we are on the subject, anybody have experience with dual laminate nightguards? Price?

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
-Dual laminiate on the Biostar? Used it in the A.F. loved it. Mount it first then bury it in the well, form it, rough up the surface add clear acrylic. I don't have a Biostar or vacu former so I can't give you a price; but patients really liked them also.

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
Invest and pack. Trial pack once and final close; do it rather quickly. Cure @ 127 for 2 hours. They say you can pour, however the possibility of cloudiness exists. ( I don't recommend) I find the material very forgiving. Run under hot tap water for 45sec to a minute, pat dry and insert.

Feed back is that the patients find them very comfortable and little to no adjustment on the clinical side. I charge $160.00 a pop. My regular hard NG $145.00

Thanks for the info; will approach a couple docs and see if they want to try it.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
At my old lab we poured them. He's right, had a bit of cloudiness to them, I always blamed it on the polishing but it could have been the pouring.

Same here.

Since we are on the subject, anybody have experience with dual laminate nightguards? Price?

The process kind? I have used Talon and I didn't care for it @ all...... Moister can build up between the layers..
Now, if i had the need or call for these things i would not hesitate in investing in the ErkoForm by Glidewell..

C

CShof

Reaction score
How about the vacuum formed dual laminate splints by Proform? http://www.henryschein.com/us-en/Search.aspx?searchkeyWord=dual+laminate
They have a soft side and a hard side. You place a sheet in your vac former machine soft side up for 1.5 minutes followed 10-15 sec with the hard side up then proceed as usual. At least that's what the instructions say. Also says acrylic can be added to the occlusal surface, they recommend something semi-flexible.

I have some but I haven't made any yet. I figured it was something different I could offer that most local labs don't. Anybody tried these out? What price do you charge?

Kreyer

Kreyer

Reaction score
Astron makes great materials! I used their Clearsplint material years ago until I found Variflex from Great Lakes Prosthodontics. Variflex is a self-curing thermoplastic and has mutliple uses such as occlusal splints, surgical guides, stayplate retention, stabilized baseplates etc...

Robert Kreyer CDT

C

CPLZ

Reaction score

I have tried both Astron Clearsplint and Great Lakes Ultraflex. I have poured and packed, but can't rid the cloudiness. The packing actually seems to have more cloudiness than the pour.

Any suggestions for how I might get clearer results?

Thanks,
Chip

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
I have tried both Astron Clearsplint and Great Lakes Ultraflex. I have poured and packed, but can't rid the cloudiness. The packing actually seems to have more cloudiness than the pour.

Thanks,
Chip

Is the negative clean? Flushed with clean water? Following the prescribed processing temp and time? Dude, I don't know what to say? When you pack do trial pack once?

finnster68

finnster68

Yep im an Aussie
Reaction score

Thanks,
Chip

I was told to use cold water out of a fridge when polishing with pumice.

It seems any heat poduced while polishing can cause some of the cloudyness

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
I was told to use cold water out of a fridge when polishing with pumice.

It seems any heat poduced while polishing can cause some of the cloudyness

That is one possibility, good suggestion! Goooo All Blacks!

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I haven't used it in a while but I think we used to put in a drying oven at @120 (leave on the model) for about 30 min and that would clear it up. Then chill it for trimming. Also it will get clearer over time. Leave one in a dry place for a weekend and on monday it will be clearer. That it does this sort of bothers me but most my accounts like our hard, heat-cured, Lucitone clear nightguards.

C

CPLZ

Reaction score
Brian,
The negative has tin foil substitute on it when I press pack. When I pour in hydrocolloid, I just use the wet model, no tin foil substitute. Should I scrap the TFS?

No, no trial pack, I don't trial pack anything press packed, never have. I am processing 1 hour at 120 per directions and then chilling under running water before divesting for 25 minutes. It does appear to get clearer as it gets colder.

Tim,
Would you be putting it in the drying oven after divesting from the flask but still on the model? Just trying to be sure here.

I have one office of 6 dentists that love these. When I first started working for them, the other lab was making them, if I wanted the biz, I needed to also. They expect the cloudiness, so there's no objection. I just read about the clearer results being achieved and wanted to try to improve...it's a constant struggle...:D

My clients love my heat cured clear NG's...(Fricke...good product, like glass). I wish I could convert them.

Thanks,
Chip

Last edited:
CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Brian,

Tim,
Would you be putting it in the drying oven after divesting from the flask but still on the model? Just trying to be sure here.

Chip

Yes. Unless you process on a dup then you can do it after you've finished it all the way and put it on the master.