Has anyone experienced something like this?

hdlc

hdlc

Reaction score
Came to my Furnace this morning to find this o_O
Same material, same furnace, same program used for years.
Has anyone experienced something like this?
Capture.JPG

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
dumb ? - calibration test

almost looks like they went on a purge cycle

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
You're oven got super hot, or those aren't zirconia. Never seen it melt it into a puddle like that ever before...that tray looks hosed now too.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
that's a new one. didn't even know zirconia could melt like that, goddamn.

e: apparently zirconia dioxide does melt, but at like 2700 celcius, which... your oven isn't hitting. that's, like, electric arc furnace temperatures, and the only way I know of you can practically hit that 'at home' is using an arc welder and carbon gouging rod, like when you make calcium carbide from lime and carbon black- everybody's made their own calcium carbide, right?

Any possibility it isn't zirconia at all?

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
or a resin / printed ceramic was not quite cured before being mixed in with the regular zir

but i don't think a lab tech would do something so silly as to mix them up.

either way, its definitely a contaminant that got in with the zir, what contaminant is anyones guess.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
What material was it?

All that was said was "same material"...

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Did you put a honeycomb tray or something in there by accident? . I've seen those melt at sintering temperatures...

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
years ago ran a full days alumina work on Zr glaze

12 white balls stuck to 12 firing pegs

great times lol

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Joe Biden Falling GIF by Saturday Night Live

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
years ago ran a full days alumina work on Zr glaze

12 white balls stuck to 12 firing pegs

great times lol
Been there, done that. Fortunately, it wasn't a day's worth of work, but running a emax crown glaze at a Vintage Halo glaze temp, gives you the same results.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
Been there, done that. Fortunately, it wasn't a day's worth of work, but running a emax crown glaze at a Vintage Halo glaze temp, gives you the same results.
Did that to 5-12 Emax singles with patient in the chair. Prettiest opalescent balls that you would ever want not to see.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Did that to 5-12 Emax singles with patient in the chair. Prettiest opalescent balls that you would ever want not to see.
I laugh with you, but at the same time that is heartbreaking as well, especially with the patient in the chair. With Emax, that is a lot of time and labor. Like the time an employee of a friend of mine was admiring his boss's nice glazed 6 uint pfm bridge and dropped it on the linoleum floor, bending the margin and destroying the bridge.

Last edited:
Z

ztech

Reaction score
I laugh with you, but at the same time that is heartbreaking as well, especially with the patient in the chair.
What made it worse was that I only put them in the oven to add the halo on the incisal edge, they had already been tried in and the patient, a local socialite, loved them. This was also in the days before I had digital.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
What made it worse was that I only put them in the oven to add the halo on the incisal edge, they had already been tried in and the patient, a local socialite, loved them. This was also in the days before I had digital.
As one of the member's signature here says, no good deed goes unpunished :banghead:

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Back in my pfm days I remember… you know.. thing…anyway…
Cmon man that was a long time ago. I’m an old man and corn pop was a bad dude… great technician though….anyway.. like ice cream.