A "reassuring" letter from Straumann

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I got a letter from Straumann today addressed to "Valued Customer." Basically it was to reassure me that they were not attempting to bypass their lab partners by selling directly to dentists. I was so reassured until I read the next sentence where they state that they may be working more directly with dentists on "simple" cases. That is a relief, I hate working on "simple" cases. The letter goes on to state that this is all part of their philosophy of Original on Original. Consider me "reassured." Good luck to you Straumann.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
LOL

Yeah, good luck on that and still being "partners" with any labs.

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
I think I got that too but didn't read through it yet. Seems to be the theme lately and that the FDA will come kick in the door. Oh and the abutments are just way too hard to make for labs. I just saw a FDA clearance for implant custom abutments clear in 31 days with no test results. FDA fee $2480 if you're a small business (under $100 million.) I hate them acting like bullies. If they focussed more on helping customers from labs and dentists they'd do better. They don't even do research, I had the newer straumann guy ask if we do any zirconia coping and crown milling my boss just laughed and said do you do any milling? Bet we do more.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
FDA=unelected governing body with NO credibility, illegally authorized, to authorize production of materials a goods it had no expertise in.

After you pay the large application fee of course. :banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I just re-read the letter, received last evening after Brett's post. NOT re-assuring. My read is that Straumann does or will:
1) Control more of DW (why is this in our favor as labs?)
2) According to paragraph #2 they have no strategy to bypass labs, but "it is possible" they will do it for simple cases.
3) Labs have to "adjust to ensure competitiveness". Meanwhile Straumann has the some of the highest prices in the industry- unless I missed something.
4) Note the change in language in paragraph #4 regarding implants: "ORIGINAL on ORIGINAL". Not just "Straumann on Straumann".
5) Subpoint #2 paragraph 6 "Scan & Shape service for creating customized abutments with less upfront investment". What? One selling point they push very hard for the lab scanner purchase was design and control of their implants.

Now, anyone want to buy a scanner???

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
Hi Brett !

Can you show us the letter, I would like to present it in France ....

We have a lot of trouble with these people ....

they are thugs, but we can live and work without them ...

:p

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
This is the front of the letter, I'm not sure if it's readable.
ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_53.jpg
ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_53.jpg

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
Perfect !

Tomorrow, all France will be informed !

Here , Straumann terrorizes the dentists because they realize Straumann implants parts whithout Straumann company !!!

Like me, french dental technicians realize Straumann implants parts themselves whith their cadcam but Straumann company don't like that !!!

This is war and we are getting organized ....

Thank you my friend for this pic !

:cool:

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the other major implant companies respond.Will they follow suit?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
To me this crosses the line. The partnership ends here. Strauman is now after our simple cases and will be moving into more complex implant cases and probably conventional C&B. I wounder if they are going to call it Strauman Dental Lab.
I am in the process of building up inventories of FDA approved Strauman compatable parts. These parts are super reasonably priced, accurate for anyone interested.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I threw my copy in the garbage.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
See above post for better pdf scan. NOT my crappy bmp. sorry

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
My area, Central Indiana, is dominated by Straumann implants. They account for about 80% of all the implant cases we work on. I have spent the last 3 years talking to all of our accounts and educating them on the difference between Straumann's custom abutments and Atlantis and why I would choose Atlantis over Straumann. What cant I do to counter the tactics Straumann employs(i.e. scaring doctors by saying 3rd party abutments will cause the implant to fail) other than what I am doing already? I never bad mouth that company. I only give my honest opinion of their product and that in almost every case, Atlantis abutments maximize the esthetic options I have in restoring their patients missing dentition. We don't make any more money on Atlantis abutments over Straumann's, in fact we probably make 10-20 dollars less per abutment.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
They are selling their machined parts and what goes on top of them because it just doesn't take a lab to do the SIMPLE cases anymore. That comes as a surprise?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Obviously its very disappointing that another "partner" has decided to sidestep our involvement and try and spin their plans, then try and milk us for a little while longer.

Anyone that continues to buy their products in my opinion is a fool. My opinion matters to my account base, as well as many of you to yours. I suggest you take the time to educate your clients on their vast choices of implant fixtures out in the market. Remember its their choice which surgeon they send their referrals to and which surgeons preference on the type of fixture can be dictated.

I will now go out of my way to say nothing positive about Straumann. I do not need them, 3rd party parts and cad cam via nobel is way more cost effective and advantageous to me and "MY PARTNERS"

The realization that we are really not part of this glorious TEAM APPROACH to dentistry that many of these tier one implant companies have been touting for years just leaves a very nasty bitter taste in my mouth!

doug

doug

Reaction score
Using my CS2 scanner I can create abutments for most of the popular systems in my area. I use the external work flow and then export to my preferred milling center. I will do that for ALL abutments if needed.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Using my CS2 scanner I can create abutments for most of the popular systems in my area. I use the external work flow and then export to my preferred milling center. I will do that for ALL abutments if needed.
Doug, you are dead-on right. My read from the letter is that is exactly what they plan- and direct to the doctor for design. Can't say I'm surprised with that high cost production facility in Andover. Should we be watching for them to acquire a IO scanner company?

Top Bottom