3Shape vs. Exocad

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Remember, scan speed is not everything. Accuracy is key. My units fabricated with my D900 drop on. Perfect fits all around. Interproxomals and occlusions are EXACTLY what is on the screen;)

So, how are we gauging these tests? Who puts the model on the plate the fastest and hits start in between steps? We need to time the actual scan speed of an arch for example.

You're right, that would be my next question, however...I thought JUST asking the scanning time would be easy enough with the top heavy heads in here right now and would get some straight factual opinions instead of skewed opinions. As I suspected, right now 3 Shape is faster, enough of a difference that if you're thinking production 3Shape would be the way to go. Now as Jason eluded too, that's only half the issue...hows the accuracy and quality? Almost every crown I currently do through cad, I have to make some slight adjustments. I do more adjusting on my PFM build-ups (but that could because I suck at that too...lol) so I don't see it as a big hindrance and it only takes less than a minute or two to adjust the digital crowns currently. I look forward to getting more information, seeing Lauren's Demo (Scott called and offered a demo...thank you),and seeing all of your independent test results. Right now, we are just discussing, keeping an open mind, just looking what each of them can or can't do is all. Jason, your experience, since you currently work with both systems in your lab is valuable, thank you.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
doesnt seem all that structured or intuitive to me. the workflow seems too non-linear. but i couldnt read the words on the screen, so i can't tell from this video.

and yes this does seem like a pissing contest; not a very worthy pissing contest at that. i'd be more interested in a comparison of Lab software vs Dentist software. in this category there are 2 on one side, and at least 1 on the other.

the winner of that would certainly hold a trophy until the next software release.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I made mistake of having employee jump onto a PC with 2560x1600 resolution monitor, which probably none of you even have. LOL

Don't know what you mean by intuitive or structured or linear...? Sorry.

If you watched the video on actual youtube, and clicked on highest resolution, then you could see the words, unless you have poor vision. ?

One day, remind me to teach you how youtube works. LOL :p I think you need some help there buddy~

We and our customers find it very user-friendly and I dunno what I would change if I was a software developer...?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Well, we called Rob early....he declined to join us and watch.

??

So, this thread is totally stupid!

Nice Job Rob!! LOL

Ask a question, and don't have literally Two friggin minutes to find out the answer. (Dumba55!):D

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
your sculpting process is all over the map. moving cusptips, morphing, etc. it has no structure. there doesnt seem to be any steps to your workflow. mark margin, morph 1 cusp at a time, watch the gate, cut the contacts... not for your proficient designer i guess. just go wild.

and i watched the video on highest resolution. i can handle very high res. i have good eyesight. personal attacks like that will only engorge my boner though, so please, continue attempting to berate me.

your "proficient" designer was so proficient that i had to watch the video several times to understand what each of the tabs, boxes and checkboxes even said. that makes it a terrible demonstration of the tool, nevermind the tool behind the tool.

at least with a 3shape demo you have that German lady who notates each step with what it is capable of doing, and purposefully creates a bad design so the correction can be shown. to highlight the utility of the software, and the importance of a good designer.

apparently not so with you or exocad. either you think monkeys can do this work, or you place no value in the education of your clientele who might buy the software and machinery from you and might hope you'd show them how to use it.

2minutes of design, hell i can beat that with 14 seconds of design. its got shyte for a margin and its placed 9mm too far buccally but hey 14 seconds counts right???

who or what do you think you have to prove here, ***? your 2minute video showed me no reason to think Exocad has any comparable quality to any person or thing that is capable of waxing either digitally or by hand. you showed no demonstrable Logic in your design nevermind how that logic translates into clicks on the screen, and the models were so small that if any virtual articulation was made, it is most certainly incorrect. dollars to doughnuts that design even though it was perfectly morphed to your antagonist, was still too high in the bite to work properly and will be trimmed either by your lab or by the doctor hand piece, and since i bet your doctors have just as big a hardon as you for their own work, i bet none of them EVER call you to tell you what a shyte job you are doing, nor how much of an ass you consistently make yourself out to be.

f you were trying to sell exocad to you customer would you show them this video? would you tell them just as you have told us, that any wad off the street can do this in 5 clicks or less

no, you wouldnt. i know you, you are more professional than that.

so make a more professional video. this is greasy, amateurish, and doesnt prove anything to us that your software is worth the pixels.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Well, we called Rob early....he declined to join us and watch.

??

So, this thread is totally stupid!

Nice Job Rob!! LOL

Ask a question, and don't have literally Two friggin minutes to find out the answer. (Dumba55!):D

My folks are only here for a couple hours on Friday, we try to work hard Monday through Thursday that we can get out of here on Friday (especially since almost none of our Docs work Friday either). Plus, it gives the techs time to handle their personal stuff i.e. banking, medical appts., etc... I want my guys to see it and they were slammed this morning while they were here with some other stuff in the works. However, next week, we are on it. As for this test, I wonder how much the computer/pc has to do with it as well. I imagine a real nice powerful pc would influence scan times as well so in that regard maybe you're right...it is stupid. Too many variables to constitute a true answer or it might not to be significant enough to mention.

K

Krzysztof Lewandowski

Reaction score
Hi
I worked on 3Shape scanner D810 and now I just started work on Exocad. Both systems are very user friendly. What I think, 3shape is faster than Exocad. But other true is that always you'll need time to adapt to new system. Anyway I worked on Lava Design 5,7 Procera Nobel and in my opinion 3shape and Exocad are much more better than other which I used

Regards
Kris

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
The computer has no control over scan times as this should be a fixed set time (unless you have a reduced scan mode setting) a fancy graphics card and processor will speed up design time in relation to how much data you have on screen and the sheer size and complexities of your design.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
then she is far overpaid

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
She'd whoop you a55! LOL

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
heres where i'd tell you how much i care, if i did.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Believe it or not, my scanning time improved with a more powerful PC? Quite a bit actually? Not sure if it is the processing of the scans in between scan steps, increased speed in mesh registration etc.?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Another thing when comparing scan speed, scan complexity etc.. People can monkey around with those settings and increase speeds as well.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Is there anybody out there who's current using both systems ?

Top Bottom