3Shape vs. Exocad

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
First off, let me state I've always been an Exocad fan but what has me on the fence as we go looking for another scanner is the time it takes to scan/design a crown. Usually it takes my guys twenty minutes to wax up a nice full contour crown, to scan and design on white light exocad is 20-25 minutes, with 3shape I believe it's 10-12 minutes (please tell me if I'm wrong when it comes to 3Shape). So, just looking at it from a time perspective, I lean more towards the 3shape...Your thoughts? Other scanners that might be just as accurate but faster, any others out there? I know, this is more of a production question, but when it comes to production with similar accuracy I'm really curious what your thoughts are.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
We use Exo and it takes us 1min to book the job in, 3 scans at 3min each for a full contour. Main model, prep, squash bite. Then 2 min tops to run through the design for a single unit. My scanner is old and slow so these times are based on that but I bet most of the new ones are a lot faster. Hope some of that helped.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
2min. Design time max!!

Anymore, and I'd fire that employee! LOL

My employee, Lauren, would be glad to do a teamviewer with you to show you.

As much as you want!

804-285-0777

ready anytime!

We show you RIGHT NOW!

Start to finish...Get your stop-watch out!

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I think ap pic of the final design should be included. you can bust out a tooth in a minute but may be not so good looking. I've seen them.
for me, 5.5 minutes to enter pt and crown info and scan. then 6-7 minutes design. crown comes back and I thin margins and usually have 1 adjustment for both contact and occlusion. light adjustment btw.
IMG_20140116_212608.jpg IMG_20140116_212608.jpg Screenshot_2014-01-16-16-49-30.png

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Also, be glad to show you the speed of the Medit.

ANYONE feel free to call for a demo!

Then, post up your stop-watch times for 3shape vs/ exocad.

This will be fun!!!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Design time is a concern, but the scan time is what does fluctuate between systems and what I'm trying to find out. I imagine the new blue light exocads may be faster??? We are trying to decide which scanner is more suitable for production...from start to finish when it comes to scanning part (case entry, scan, design, upload to cam software).

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Rob , I see you more of an exocist than a sexy 3Shaper.

You should move to Nerdville.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
K2 and Riley, are your times with 3Shape or Exocad?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Don't believe 5hit, unless you see it with your own Two eyes!

I encourage you to join us on teamviewer, then do the same for some 3shape owners.

The SE Series (White-Light) and the Medit Blue are same/same for speed....

Just as fast, or faster than a 3shape.

Please time us, and be honest with your findings!

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
talk talk talk means nothing. :D

Lets get some real data and actual times posted up here....

Rob, you need to be the judge.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Don't believe 5hit, unless you see it with your own Two eyes!

I encourage you to join us on teamviewer, then do the same for some 3shape owners.

The SE Series (White-Light) and the Medit Blue are same/same for speed....

Just as fast, or faster than a 3shape.

Please time us, and be honest with your findings!

I agree, and something that we are planning on doing in Chicago next month, but as usual, we all on here have had these systems for awhile and I was curious what your thoughts are is all.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Watch right now! Why wait?

You took the time to ask the question....

Now take the time to see the answer!

Otherwise, this thread is stupid Rob!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The fact that you are trying to "see" me is more of a concern to me now!!! :p

When I stare at the sky, I see you.
When I stare out into the ocean, I see you.
When I'm looking at the moon, I see you.

Geeze! Would you move aside? You're constantly getting in the way! :p

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Rob, don't let Scott bully you into his ways ;)

Here is a quick video I just took design time. Add another 5 minutes in scan time so under 10 minutes you should be good to go.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
@Parkway1
So i see your initial proposal is crap-a-riffic too! Back in the day I'd set my contact points and that sucker would come back with matching contours to the adjacent teeth and almost spot on occlusion! Now...that teeny tooth all twisted around. Boo! Good thing it still only takes 5 min to design.
So isee your initial proposal is crap-a-riffic too! Back in the day I'd set my contact points and that sucker would come back with matching contours to the adjacent teeth and almost spot on occlusion! Now...that teeny tooth all twisted around. Boo! Good thing it still only takes 5 min to design.
Scott is going to rip you a new one for not videoing the scan time, My guess on what he'll say..."Tyler you stupid idiot! This thread is about scan times between scanners..............not design.........show us your scan or your ugly! Green jello! Tiger shoe and sand in your germany!"
:p

Top Bottom