3shape or Exocad

Which design software do you prefer?

• Total voters
C

charles007

Reaction score
How complicated can it be to fill in spaces with crowns and bridges. Digital dentures should be a slam dunk in
my opinion...Sure implants aren't simple inlays but its not rocket science either with the use of technical knowhow and cad
programs........
Exocad should select a group of the best techs on DLN to help make suggestions for improvements. Another idea for Exocad is to start
a Post on DLN for Suggestions, and Improvements Wanted on Exocad. Bob asked last week if Show Distances could be added rather than having to
click to use that designing tool. You can't design without using the Show distances tool.. That tool should be on the screen when we're in the FreeForming alone with the Measuring tool.

Back to topic,
Exocad user, and I still believe 3shape is better and easier to design (manipulating tools) faster.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Solaris

Solaris

Reaction score
I hear from my scanner dealer that most CAM softwares are 3shape user friendly and for exocad you need to get an Exocad friendly CAM software.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I hear from my scanner dealer that most CAM softwares are 3shape user friendly and for exocad you need to get an Exocad friendly CAM software.

What does this dealer sell ? 3shape ?

Solaris

Solaris

Reaction score
No, I got my Medit hybrid and exocad from him and we had some issues with the dimension of our milled zirconia , wax even printed models.
I know it has nothing to do with the scanner and the Exocad software needs to be adjusted to find the right parameters.
I will contact the exocad directly since the dealer is not interested to solve our problem but very much after selling yet another CAM software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if everything was the wrong size it sounds like your cam decided to oversize everything.

because believe it or not the CAD needs to always output 1:1 size. if not, theres no way for the CAM to recognize this and adjust the puck size accordingly.

Solaris

Solaris

Reaction score
Do you know how to adjust it on the Exocad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
3shape for life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would like to learn both as well as cerec.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
How complicated can it be to fill in spaces with crowns and bridges. Digital dentures should be a slam dunk in-------
----------------
----------------
Back to topic,
Exocad user, and I still believe 3shape is better and easier to design (manipulating tools) faster.

Like, and from what I've seen, Agree, with that side of 3Shape.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as your CAD software will output an STL file, most any CAM software should accept it.

Now if your CAD software is outputting a proprietary file (such as the Wieland .cam file, which really only combines about 4-5 .stl files for more information) (although the Wieland software will accept STLs, Exocad, and a host of others),then you may need a CAM software that is "friendly with your CAD software.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Boo, hiss, down with proprietary file types in digital dental world.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Here, here...Sirona, the main offender. But supposedly their more open now, within the Sirona "family" itself?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Here, here...Sirona, the main offender. But supposedly their more open now, within the Sirona "family" itself?
Don't be fooled by marketing, it is still an incestuous relationship.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

I understand your feelings, and if we are talking about a closed system that only uses it's own file types unless you pay an additional fee to use others, I totally agree.

With that being said though, if you are buying an integrated system that accepts open file formats (STL),but has the option if you are in the same family of equipment and software to use a file that incorporates information that the standard STL can not, then I would disagree. The Wieland .cam file incorporates several STL files and includes information such as insertion direction, type of restoration and material to be used. This allows the CAM software to automate selection of all those options and propose the correct milling strategies for milling.

If using just a standard STL, then the operator has to set those parameters after importing the file.

All this just lets you work a little faster, but does not limit you in what you accept, whether it is from 3Shape, Sirona, Exocad, etc.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I understand your feelings, and if we are talking about a closed system that only uses it's own file types unless you pay an additional fee to use others, I totally agree.

With that being said though, if you are buying an integrated system that accepts open file formats (STL),but has the option if you are in the same family of equipment and software to use a file that incorporates information that the standard STL can not, then I would disagree. The Wieland .cam file incorporates several STL files and includes information such as insertion direction, type of restoration and material to be used. This allows the CAM software to automate selection of all those options and propose the correct milling strategies for milling.

If using just a standard STL, then the operator has to set those parameters after importing the file.

All this just lets you work a little faster, but does not limit you in what you accept, whether it is from 3Shape, Sirona, Exocad, etc.
Fair enough, I have just had my fill of closed systems and proprietary file types, so I have to whine every now and then to make myself feel better.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I definitely understand.

That's why we chose to do an integrated system instead of a closed system.

the difference being:

Closed system: My hardware, My Software, My materials. If you want to "play" with others, pay me and I "might" let you.

Integrated system: Part mine, part somebody else and I'll make a few tweaks to let each work together better. But I won't stop you from working and playing well with others.

Fully open system: Buy from me, buy from Joe, buy from Sally. Put everything together and hope they play together and don't fight.

Top Bottom