Computer setup for Exocad software and Medit T510 scanner

B

B@IDL

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
New on this site and just wanted to ask what PC you guys using to run Exocad CAD design . I'm thinking of a desktop for designing....
Exocad recommending this :
"Full workstation" example configuration for using any exocad product

• CPU: Intel Core-i9 11900k / AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 non ECC
  • Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6) or RTX 3070 / AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT or 6700XT (6 GB GDDR6)
  • Screen resolution: WQHD (2560x1440),recommended: UHD (3840x2160)
  • Power: 750+ Watt
Can I use this gaming setup?

Alienware Aurora R16 Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9-13900F, 32GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 12GB GDDR6X Graphics, Windows 11 Home, 1 Year Premium Support​

Thanks for any info !

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Add a portable backup drive to your arsenal (relatively inexpensive). This allows you to keep everything backed up and keep it offsite but more importantly, allows you to keep that 1TB of SSD/HDD free'd up. Digital has large files, don't take long to fill it and bog down your pc.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
looks good and should run it well, decent if you want to play some ski-free too lol. i second what labguy said. keeping the pc clean will help!

we build all of our PCs to keep costs down some. that and because im a big nerd and love it. in fact, im sitting here on my office computer typing this message and it was my first ever PC build about 15 years ago. believe it or not, it still screams!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I tried designing on an alienware laptop.. it just runs differently than a desktop. The display is beautiful and touchscreen but it sits in a drawer. I like dell though, Ive been running two xps towers, one for 11 years, even better if you simply upgrade ram and video card over time. Ive never used an i9 though, all mine are i7, you should be good with 12g video card. The only thing Ive had issues running is a medit i500, it needs a powerful video card.

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
32GB of RAM is good for now, but 64GB would leave more headroom for larger cases and future-proofing if the price difference is not too prohibitive.
CPU is good, GPU is good, I would say you'll enjoy it. I would replace the spinning HDD with a large SSD (2TB+) for case database storage. HDDs are sloooooooooooow and unreliable.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Add a portable backup drive to your arsenal (relatively inexpensive). This allows you to keep everything backed up and keep it offsite but more importantly, allows you to keep that 1TB of SSD/HDD free'd up. Digital has large files, don't take long to fill it and bog down your pc.
What type of portable backup are you using?

doug

doug

Reaction score
We had the Computer guy put in cloud service for our entire lab. Everything is uploaded 3 times a day. In Florida with the lightning issues it's almost a must-have. We even have a surge system on the building here.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
We had the Computer guy put in cloud service for our entire lab. Everything is uploaded 3 times a day. In Florida with the lightning issues it's almost a must-have. We even have a surge system on the building here.
That's really nice, i would prefer that better than what I do currently with the portable externals. However, my internet still runs hamster wheels here so not sure the bandwidth would allow it.

B

B@IDL

Reaction score
What type of portable backup are you using?
Planning to use couple of 8TB My BOOK or similar external drive to prevent HDD problems .
Also looking for expending my Cloud so that's also in the picture.

B

B@IDL

Reaction score
Thanks Doug, definitely getting a surge protector on all my electronics.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
thats not a bad idea.
if you dont mind me asking, how much did that setup cost to get started? and ongoing?

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
New on this site and just wanted to ask what PC you guys using to run Exocad CAD design . I'm thinking of a desktop for designing....
Exocad recommending this :
"Full workstation" example configuration for using any exocad product

• CPU: Intel Core-i9 11900k / AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 non ECC
  • Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6) or RTX 3070 / AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT or 6700XT (6 GB GDDR6)
  • Screen resolution: WQHD (2560x1440),recommended: UHD (3840x2160)
  • Power: 750+ Watt
Can I use this gaming setup?

Alienware Aurora R16 Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9-13900F, 32GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 12GB GDDR6X Graphics, Windows 11 Home, 1 Year Premium Support​

Thanks for any info !
Very similar to what I'm using except i use 2x2Tb ssd's, plus externals hd's and winodws 11 pro. Runs butter smooth. Keep in mind hard drive space always fills up faster than expected.

doug

doug

Reaction score
thats not a bad idea.
if you dont mind me asking, how much did that setup cost to get started? and ongoing
I pay a monthly fee that includes a lot of extras. It's a couple of hundred dollars a month. Worth every penny with so much data flying through the air now. Actually I don't pay it anymore, Kevin, who worked with me for the last ten years, bought the lab on 2/5. He's paying for it now. I'm a retired part-time technician now, who's fighting the cancer fight.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I pay a monthly fee that includes a lot of extras. It's a couple of hundred dollars a month. Worth every penny with so much data flying through the air now. Actually I don't pay it anymore, Kevin, who worked with me for the last ten years, bought the lab on 2/5. He's paying for it now. I'm a retired part-time technician now, who's fighting the cancer fight.
And you're gonna kick the cancer to the curb, just like I did!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
cancer effing sucks. lost too many good people to that fight. i pray you kick its ass for all those before and after you fighting!

doug

doug

Reaction score
So my IT guy uses Dato fro the cloud service. It uploads every hour, more often than I thought. He also setup the VOIP on AWS. All -n it's like 290.00 a month That's cheap insurance for all the data.