3Shape design & E4D PlanMilling - HELP!

W

WhitMill

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some insight on milling settings.
I am designing digital cases in 3Shape, and sending to an E4D PlanMill.

My problem lies somewhere in Milling settings, I am thinking. My designs show plenty of material thickness, but the milled results have areas that become way too thin. Does anyone have specific settings for this workflow, or advice on mill tools, or anything I may be missing here???
Thank you for your help!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
check that you have the right tools in place. e4d cam is not open, but the mill has labels of which tool should be in which slot. if you have a 2.5mm tool where the 1.5mm tool goes, it'd overmill like that for sure.

W

WhitMill

Reaction score
check that you have the right tools in place. e4d cam is not open, but the mill has labels of which tool should be in which slot. if you have a 2.5mm tool where the 1.5mm tool goes, it'd overmill like that for sure.
Thanks for the reply. I am milling all cases on Detailed mode, and have confirmed the tools are placed on the correct side of the mill (conical on left, and tapered on the right). Should I need to make any specific changes within 3Shape design, as far as milling parameters? My discrepancies come between the 3Shape design of material thickness, and what actually comes out of the mill. It's "overmilling" by sometimes 0.50mm

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
3shape controls the design of the crown, not the milling of it. 3shape has compensation for areas of design where fit issues can occur, such as a thin incisal prep if its thinner than the tool, should be balooned out to the thicnkess of the tool, to compensate.

when it comes to milling, e4d controls how deep the tools go, and again this is proprietary information you'd have to call e4d to find out if something is wrong with the software or if this is normal behaviour.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
hi whittmill welcome where are you what kind of a practice do you have. Cosmetic same day crowns general its always good to know these things so we can help you more.