3D model printing

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
not out of the box, no. but the community of makerbot has demonstrated time and again how that in modifying your bot with certain specific software and tools, you can make the quality and consistency of your prints much better than straight out of the box, or even better than any model printed with the built-in adjusting tools for the printer.

So why don't you buy one and show us?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in due time, man. in due time.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Actually no, 3Shape officially only recommends one printer for their models, the ProJet MP from 3D Systems.

http://www.cadbludental.com/media/NewsRelease/PressRelease-3Shape-3Dsystems-13-07-2012-ENG.PDF

Also, those ABS filament FDM printers have horrible resolution, wouldn't even consider them for models. You can get printed models from CadBlu for around 20 bucks a set.

Well come see for yourself, we have been printing models on our Objet and making ortho appliances without one remake for a year now.
Specialty Appliances is now offering to print models for around $8.00 per, we are still charging $20.00 as we have the smaller machine and pay more for material. The new Objet is for ortho only and will be featured at this meeting.

Come join us at the 2012 WKE meeting at the Embassy Suites Centennial Olympic Park, Atlanta, GA. 8hrs of CE credit for attending!
Nov. 2nd 12:00pm – 5:00pm presentations & training by Objet, 3Shape & EasyRX.
Nov. 2nd 5:00pm – 7:00pm ****tail reception
Nov. 3rd 8:30am breakfast followed by presentations & training by Objet, 3Shape & EasyRX – meeting ends at approximately 2:00pm
Contact Don Inman or Lisa Hannon for more details

BTW from the tone of your post I am guessing you work for CadBlue or 3D Systems?
Do you know that Great Lakes, Dynaflex, Specialty Appliances, Protec (huge Canadian lab),NorthStar and Inman Labs all use Objet printers for ortho models and we are all extremely happy with them?

Regards,
Don

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, he is a Blue-baller! LOL

I work for neither, and I say....Objet still has much worse surface finish and accuracy than the 3DSystems Projet series.

Nothing you say can change that at the moment.

Anyone with a set of eyes can see the difference.

No point in arguing about it. It's a fact.:p

Scott

Last edited:
Y

YMS96

Reaction score
I don't work for either but I am a customer and I do have a 3D systems wax printer. That's cool that those companies use Objet, I'm not saying Objet isn't any good because I have no experience with them, I'm just forwarding information that I read off the internet that says 3Shape did the testing and 3D Systems had the quality to meet their high standards. I also know that 3Shape's US office had an Objet printer in house and it's not there anymore.

Last edited:
Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
How much do one of those run????
Yeah, he is a Blue-baller! LOL

I work for neither, and I say....Objet still has much worse surface finish and accuracy than the 3DSystems Projet series.

Nothing you say can change that at the moment.

Anyone with a set of eyes can see the difference.

No point in arguing about it. It's a fact.:p

Scott

I

intriguity

Reaction score
Hello, If you are interested we do have an Objet eden 260 for sale in India. Pls email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
We just purchased a 3D Systems MP3500. Working through a few kinks. If you PM me, when I'm up and running, I will give you a quote...

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
I think the new envisiontec printer and current objet have made grade strides, but when it comes to marginal integrity, the projet trumps all.

I know argen uses an envisontec for their CADCAST and they have been very happy.

But as *** said in another post - he loves his projet when it works but he hates it too, lol.

As better/different materials come out I believe all these printers will just get better. to match the flow at my work place we mill most of the time - because the wax puck we use can still be treated like wax.

It's a bit harder with the projet resin, and to add when we need to, we used light cure (regular wax doesn't stick as well)

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
We are in a very similar situation. Got the scanner. Sik study models on screen. Wanting to give my ortho clients some options. Emailing some. USB for others. Wanting to print because my lazy apprentices dont like plaster anymore! (kidding). Sent an stl file to my local objet saleman. Kindly he printed it up for me with full anatomic bases. Looked really good and he told me it took 8 hours and approximately $90 for the materials alone! this is a product that we sell in plaster for $ 50. Arghhhh!!!!!
In my ideal world I wanted the printer to punch out study models while I slept so I could dream about sacking my lazy apprentice. The soultion was simple or so I thought. Make the models hollow. Spoke to my 3shape man and he agreed. The solution he gave me was to use an extra cost module which relates to implant bars that you place virtually in your study model scan and stretch it through the guts of your study model to take out the inner thickness. Starting to get way to complicated now! I suggested to treat it like a crown coping except instead of ading to the prep a minimum thickness to the outside, you add a minimum thickness to the inside of the scan.Save and then print. Does anyone know if this is possible??

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
What software are you using. you should be able to hollow your models.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Side question - Is anyone using 3Shape's ModelBuilder with Itero data? I've been working on importing the data for about a week without success. Would love a tip or a clue....

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
I've been looking to print my anatomical study models cheaply. I can fully tell you that Objet models in yellow and white are still just as plastic.. Straight from the printer with my stl. File and really expensive

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
Using 3shapes and the reps solution is to use an implant bar that's dragged and widened from the inside to the fat part of the model. Looks really clumsy and is still thick in spots. I want it just like a coping except the thickness is added to the inside of the scan

Last edited:
Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
Made a wrong post. Sorry I'm a newbie

Last edited:
Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
What software are you using. you should be able to hollow your models.

Using 3shapes and the reps solution is to use an implant bar that's dragged and widened from the inside to the fat part of the model. Looks really clumsy and is still thick in spots. I want it just like a coping except the thickness is added to the inside of the scan

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
So any ideas about envisintec Ultra? Near 40.000 but somebody use it? What about quality and model price?