3D model printing

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Make a silicone duplicate of your master abs printed model and pour a stone/plaster copy for fabrication.Now you have the best of both worlds.
-a working model ( plaster)
-a presentation model (abs)

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see someone print an impression instead of printing a model.

Then we could pour up a stone model instead of having to deal with the limitations of milled or printed models.

G

gotosleep33

Reaction score
Thanks rkm,

seems a good way to start with your protocol. More affordable for a small lab.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Cool Hand Luke is the one to thank.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
At $ 2000 you can afford to just print models with it.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Specialty Appliances in Atlanta will print models with small bases for $32.00 per set. This is a fantastic deal as if you price a prototyping center they will charge $200.00 plus. The printer that has become the standard for models is the Objet Eden 260V and costs 100K plus, they have a smaller, slower printer but very good for 30K. The downside with the smaller printer is the material cost is 2X that of the Eden. I am sure in the near future there will be more options for printing and with the new competition costs will come down. I can live with Specialties $32.00 per set for now...and they are great people to work with, ask for Arlen.

Don

Actually no, 3Shape officially only recommends one printer for their models, the ProJet MP from 3D Systems.

http://www.cadbludental.com/media/NewsRelease/PressRelease-3Shape-3Dsystems-13-07-2012-ENG.PDF

Also, those ABS filament FDM printers have horrible resolution, wouldn't even consider them for models. You can get printed models from CadBlu for around 20 bucks a set.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
At $ 2000 you can afford to just print models with it.

Not if the models suck. I have models printed by all of those fdm machines, as well as some more expensive machines (sub 10k) and hey aren't good for anything.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
while i have no doubt that your experience with the machine tells the truth, i know firsthand how very very little the lab owners and lab managers tend to fiddle with their gear to get proper products from it. there may indeed be "not up to par" models printed from an FDM plastic printer, however the level of support for these machines far far exceeds the support from typical "dental" suppliers, who basically are simple resellers of machinery.

for example if someone wanted to open and fiddle with their Cerec unit, the suppliers of the equipment would snub you and tell you you'll void all warranties blah blah blah. with Open Source Hardware you have NO SUCH thing. when you have an issue or question there will be a dozen people to call and get support from, all at NO CHARGE because it is OPEN SOURCE. if you have a suggestion, a drawing, a contribution to make the machine BETTER they are all ears.

it is companies like that who will thrive, seeing their product's versatility useability and flexibility cater to many many many markets. if iTero were capable of launching into hearing aid and earcanal work, they'd gain in sales and brand name in this simple extension of their product line.

the thinking that "this is not a dental printer it cannot print good dental models" is the spirit of terrible users who no more know the direction their business is headed than the effect new equipment has on an industry as a whole.

all i am trying to say is that each machine can be modified. it doesnt take too much to modify a makerbot to make adequate dental models. this is but one example of many where the machine straight out of the box (if you buy it in a box) is like a dull knife. just needs to be honed into the right setup, and you can be golden.

on the other hand, spending no time at all and just having your machine ready for use on delivery means paying someone about the same money.

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
What about New objet 30 PRO ?
dealer tell that it is ok for produce models for splints... is it true? is there enough resolution on z-axis?
price is good 25-30K

Last edited:
AleTheDoc

AleTheDoc

Reaction score
Hi, you can see and download a comparison chart here.. Objet Desktop Printers | MCAD
I think resolution is ok, object 30pro, but as you can see it says it does not use Verodent material (for dental industry) and also it is not biocompatible but patient is not going to put the dental model in mouth no?? probably it works for dental models but not for surgical guides etc...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Makerbot is nowhere near the resolution we need for dental.

Terrible resolution.

Plastic can only be extruded but from but a certian size hole. (BIG)

Never going to be accurate, there is no planerizer mechnism to make sure each layer is flat.

No amount of tinkering will fix this. Extra material oozes out in all directions leaving very course surface finish.

No way to "mop-up" the extra material.

I don't think it is open sorce anymore anyways....didn't 3DSystems buy the entire project this year?

(My Robot Nation is now under the 3DSystem umbrella, no?)

3D printing pioneer 3D Systems buys My Robot Nation | Geek Gestalt - CNET News

Objet is no good for models IMO.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
not out of the box, no. but the community of makerbot has demonstrated time and again how that in modifying your bot with certain specific software and tools, you can make the quality and consistency of your prints much better than straight out of the box, or even better than any model printed with the built-in adjusting tools for the printer.

you may know makerbot specifically has opened its doors to thingverse, where several improved parts for the bot now reside.

i'd disagree with the conclusion that the printer can only print very coarse surface finish. never the less, i acknowledge that for the time being the makerbot scores a comparative Low grade, however most here would find its prints (all tinkered up) to be good showpiece items if printed with dual extrusion (two coloured print - gums one colour, teeth another)

on a more positive side, even if the model print isnt as smooth as some other fancier more expensive printers it is still capable of printing items necessary for a self-sustaining laboratory. with this printer or another like it you will be able to manufacture your own ... well thats just it. you can print everything. from tools to shipping supplies to models to you name it. you dream up a new hemostat, boom instantly you can make it and not pay dentsply the hundred bucks.

design your own shipping containers, rebrand yourself as often as you like.

make pens for your doctors...

this is a tool that far exceeds the simple task of making models, which i argue it can do properly. i argue it is just as accurate as a plaster cast.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
...from an inaccurate impression.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I'm all about modifying my friend.

But, the Maker Bot is a toy....piece of crap.

Great fun for students and all, but it is not a quality machine or accurate at all.

The mechanical resolution and moving parts are junk, design is flimsy, longevity is poor, etc etc...

Go buy one yourself and have fun! Send me a model you are proud of when you are finished tinkering.

If that dog will hunt, then I'll eat my words and give ya $1,000 and kudos to the moon.

I hope nobody on this forum wastes their time and energy on this thing. (except you, LOL)

Enjoy!

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
its only words.. but somebody try to print on objet 30 pro? they say that with veroclear possible to reach 16 micron z layer.. anyway how much is the fish? is there big difference between materials cost? maybe somebody print from peanuts butter or something...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
3DSystems Projet 3000/3500 also can print at 16um. (Since 2011)

It was my idea for the Dental Industry.

I did it first late 2009 and sent samples to 3DSystems years ago in Plastic and cast metal to show the difference....2011 they released the "Scott" build mode of 16um.

Called XHD (Extreme High-Definition)

I can make it any Z-thickness I want now after learning the software inside the printer.

I got Zero dollars for my time and effort. LOL Not even a "Thank you".

Last edited:
Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
Zero is more then nothing :)
So how much is materials and support?
Is there big difference?
Is it possible to use something that cheaper for models?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
3DSystems has cheaper material that would be better for Models, in the same printers. (1/2 cost)

I "Hollow out" my models and sell them cheaper than anywhere I have seen in the States.

I reduce the Z-height and chop-off any unnecessary areas. This reduces cost to me and customer.

I do not spend much time with this, because Doc's Oral scanners are not very popular at the moment.

Maybe in Five more years?