Dirty Denture Repairs

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Question for you denture folks. We are a fixed lab and have started doing a bit of removable work. I have looked around on the web and have not been able to get any good answers so... This is my question, how do you handle dirty dentures that come in for repair? We have had a couple come thru that were just plain disgusting. Do you just return them and refuse to work on them, try to clean them, just work around the yuck? If you are cleaning them, how?

I apologize if you were eating when you opened this. :eek:

Probably the worst denture repairs i see are the maxillary denture of heavy smokers. they are usually black and smell terrible... I disinfect in a diluted bleach solution and even then with gloves and mask the smell is almost unbearable, theses are almost always a mid-line fracture and lots of time is spent polishing off the tar and nicotine on the rest of the palate after the repair ;-p As for eating, this is nothing compared to what I saw years ago assisting for surgery chair-side, I've seen inside patients sinuses, vacuumed out big green abscesses and vacuumed out the blood on full mouth extractions, never once has any of this stopped me from eating lunch lol

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Really not much different than those taco Tuesday posts.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That's exactly where I was going with this.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Question for you denture folks. We are a fixed lab and have started doing a bit of removable work. I have looked around on the web and have not been able to get any good answers so... This is my question, how do you handle dirty dentures that come in for repair? We have had a couple come thru that were just plain disgusting. Do you just return them and refuse to work on them, try to clean them, just work around the yuck? If you are cleaning them, how?

You realize denture techs have strong stomachs?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/gag-reflex-still-got-one.25636/

Lighthouse

Lighthouse

Reaction score
We have an employee who said at one lab she worked at, they would try to clean the denture with glass beads. To me, that would infect that whole station.

We use lots of cavicide, gloves, glasses and we keep our mouths closed.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We have an employee who said at one lab she worked at, they would try to clean the denture with glass beads. To me, that would infect that whole station.

You need masks too. Keeping your mouth closed just means you're getting it in your nose, respiratory tract, and on your face to intake with the next coffee sip.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

https://shop.benco.com/Product/3084...lergenic-pleated-headband-face-mask-box-of-35

These work well, I can still get a negative air pressure response even with facial hair.
A05EB9D32189655628465E08AB739C94

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The blue brings out your eyes.