Dirty Denture Repairs

T

treehouse

Reaction score
Question for you denture folks. We are a fixed lab and have started doing a bit of removable work. I have looked around on the web and have not been able to get any good answers so... This is my question, how do you handle dirty dentures that come in for repair? We have had a couple come thru that were just plain disgusting. Do you just return them and refuse to work on them, try to clean them, just work around the yuck? If you are cleaning them, how?

I apologize if you were eating when you opened this. :eek:

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Question for you denture folks. We are a fixed lab and have started doing a bit of removable work. I have looked around on the web and have not been able to get any good answers so... This is my question, how do you handle dirty dentures that come in for repair? We have had a couple come thru that were just plain disgusting. Do you just return them and refuse to work on them, try to clean them, just work around the yuck? If you are cleaning them, how?

I apologize if you were eating when you opened this. :eek:
I've found a 12 gauge shell loaded with #4 buckshot will take care of any concerns remaining after the pickup driver accidentally runs over it.

M

mikemed66

Reaction score
Deal with it if you want the business there is a reason why they lost there teeth in the first place

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Generally just have unimpeachable and inviolable universal precautions, and deal with the stink.

I've left the nastier ones in two separte applications of efferdent and then still chipped off the stuff. If you don't you'll have a terrible time finishing it down. Not to mention polishing.

Mask, gloves, cavicide. And separate grinding tools for each case. Cavicide or anything else will only clean the outside. As soon as you grind into the material, it's just as nasty as it was before. Change pumice per pt by using case pans to hold just enough to complete the case.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
We first disinfect by putting in a baggie and spray with cavicide and seal it up for 5 minutes and then soak in Protech denture cleaner in the ultrasonic for about an hour and that normally gets rid of the funk. http://www.dentallabproducts.com/index.php?cat=24 and everything that JMN said above.

Oh, and the part about being sorry if we were eating when we read your post...we're used to seeing stuff like that...YUM!!!!!

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
The best part is you never know when you are going to pick up an extra snack.
Yeah, like the green bologna that was between the denture and the reline impression!

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
upload_2017-11-15_15-41-21.png

This is what I used for cleaning. Worked well. Disinfection is a separate procedure.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Can the patient brush with this? I am working on a brass bristled tooth brush.

Shouldn't be a problem, I gargle with it daily. Keeps the prophy appointments short and easy! ;)

Just so there's no mistake, this is a joke. You never know how serious someone will take you on here! :D

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem, I gargle with it daily. Keeps the prophy appointments short and easy! ;)

Just so there's no mistake, this is a joke. You never know how serious someone will take you on here! :D
Lol, no one takes you seriously my friend.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
not a fan of the oscar meyer reline
I guess the patient thought it was cheaper than seabond.....but they could have changed it out every once in awhile before it turned green, and then the office took the reline impression over the top of it...YUMMY!!!!!! Even Vicks vapor rub inside of a mask didn't help that smell.....