3Shape 2015 (15.5.0) Issues

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
I beg to differ, I find 2015.5.0 pretty stable other then the pontic spline cut, I found a way around every issue it has thrown at me, if you made the mistake of updating your production line then that your own fault, I always run a test PC on the side or at home before updating my production line. I got word from well know people not to jump to 6.0 or even install 6.1 due to breaches in certain parts of the software. I'm happy on 5.0 so until i find a more stable version i don't mind the bugs, they DO NOT stop production and if they do you obviously can't work around them.

I disagree and I believe you completely missed the point of paid license. It is up to 3Shape to test and verify updates. Sure I can find a way around issues, but I am not 3Shape employee, it is simply not my job, it is theirs. Why should I have to depend on word from well know people to choose to I install updates if I pay 3Shape for this? License is not only for using software. Call any 3Shape reseller and they will tell you it includes updates and customer care.

I am curious would you apply the same logic to the car you own? I mean that you do not mind some glitches and you happy to work around them? Would you give them some slack with brakes, or possibly with ABS?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the geniuses at Straumann have closed the local milling option for their Variobase system on 2015?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I disagree and I believe you completely missed the point of paid license. It is up to 3Shape to test and verify updates. Sure I can find a way around issues, but I am not 3Shape employee, it is simply not my job, it is theirs.

I feel what Sevan is referring to is really the abutment workflow, not the system as a whole. Some manufacturers don't have their library yet established for 2015, so that's why he uses 2014, that's why he has two different setups.

Sure, you're going to have minor software issues that will be fixed along the way, but the system should function as a whole. They do testing yes, but not in a large production environment and with all the separate implant libraries out there. All they do is verify implant components and keep a record of it. It's up to the manufacturer of the library to make sure the system works properly.

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the geniuses at Straumann have closed the local milling option for their Variobase system on 2015?
I am using Variobase local milling on 15.4.1 without any problems.

J

Jae

Reaction score
We've been on 2015 for couple months now and our design and scan people are sort of used to the changes in workflow by now. They still dislike it, but they're used to it. In retrospect upgrading was a mistake, but going back at this point isn't simple either. So we'll hunker down and hope the updates along the way will fix the bugs.

The most annoying thing about 2015 right now is cutback bridges, re-opening a case to change the design messes up everything. The cutback line changes and the tool history seems to work on a weird offset so any applied old tool movements go to wrong places leaving horribly mutilated units. The only way to change the design safely is to reset the whole case.

I scan with 2015 because the scan quality is better but I switch the design module to 2014 to avoid the Smilecomposer mess. 15.6.0 has resolved the problem that you describe which drove me crazy too.
Combining the Smilecomposer with Sculpt tool was not a good idea. Now the design history is not kept separate for individual tooth. So you end up undoing all the other teeth when you only undo one specific tooth.
Does anyone know how to get around this?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I disagree and I believe you completely missed the point of paid license. It is up to 3Shape to test and verify updates. Sure I can find a way around issues, but I am not 3Shape employee, it is simply not my job, it is theirs. Why should I have to depend on word from well know people to choose to I install updates if I pay 3Shape for this? License is not only for using software. Call any 3Shape reseller and they will tell you it includes updates and customer care.

I am curious would you apply the same logic to the car you own? I mean that you do not mind some glitches and you happy to work around them? Would you give them some slack with brakes, or possibly with ABS?

I will do what ever it takes to get the job done, I do not depend on others, so if I have to figure it out then I damn will. I have figured out a lot of things that they should of and ways around a lot of major blocks that I am not willing to share with people like you. I only share what is needed. They create the software and run basic tests before releasing it. But it is up to the retailers to do their testing before letting the end user update. Major retailers will do the job right. CAP, Argen will get the update and run all points of testing on then determine if their end users should be able to update. Then we have those that get the update, and bitch and moan about it because they took the jump before seeing how deep the water is.

I know the risks of updating on a fresh release, and am willing to deal with it.

LOL your comparing Apple to Oranges man, cars transport lives and you can't bring back a life, but we can always remake teeth.

If 3Shape annoys you so much, then go to Exocad and stop complaining please.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Heck @Sevan P , he drives on the wrong side of the road and has a funny accent,

he has no idea what's going on over here "across the pond". ;):D

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
It's up to the manufacturer of the library to make sure the system works properly.
In our recent issues with Nobel, it was 3Shape problem, was reported to 3Shape months ago, and didn't get fixed until couple weeks ago. There's very little the library manufacturer can do if their library is done properly and 3Shape drags their feet with fixes.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Has anyone done any digital wax ups with 15.5? I have endless issues. I have never been so frustrated with 3shape in the 5 years I have used it. I cant section the models. when I can the design does not replace the original teeth. There is no pattern in the issues now. At least there used to be ways to work around things. Now its just erratic.

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
We've now been with 15.6 for over a month, no ongoing issues so far and most of what was wrong with 15.5 is now working ok.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We've now been with 15.6 for over a month, no ongoing issues so far and most of what was wrong with 15.5 is now working ok.

15.6 or 15.6.1? What are the issues in 15.6?

R

rookiee

Reaction score
I still think 2.9.9.5 is the ultimate version. By coincidence I went on with 15.5. and 15.6.. Biggest mistake. And every day I wonder what am I paying them for. If this will continue for a year or so will rethink switching to something else.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I still think 2.9.9.5 is the ultimate version. By coincidence I went on with 15.5. and 15.6.. Biggest mistake. And every day I wonder what am I paying them for. If this will continue for a year or so will rethink switching to something else.

I agree and my main "full arch design station" is 2.9.9.5.

2015 has some really nice improvements when they work, I did some Nobel ASC abutments on 15.6 and for the first time yesterday and they did not make me want to pull my hair out which is great.

I was super shocked that 3shape didn't have something revolutionary at Midwinter to debut, I really thought that the slow bug fixes this last year with 2015 was because they were planning on scrapping the merge between the smile designer and sculpt in this latest version and introduce something new.

I agree that we pay a tremendous amount of money for a great piece of software but for the first time I am actually considering EXO just because this year i really did not see value in the offering for 3shape.

I think loyalty to ANY piece of software has more to do with comfort than the software itself, I learned 3shape, feel comfortable that I know how to manipulate it fast and efficiently but I also feel confident that EXO should be just as good after the learning curve.

Its just the Trios stuff we are getting today that really is getting me more locked in with 3shape and while I do not regret the new workflow I do feel a bit like the CEREC guys at times.

Open really means nothing today cause there are LEVELS of openness :)

Top Bottom