Why the screeching noise?

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Why do ceramists insist on grinding too damn hard?

EEeeeEEErrrrRRR SCCrrrRRreEEEeEEEEcCCchHHhhH!!!!

Me-"WHaT ArE YoU GrInDiNg On!!??''

-Ceramist, "Emax. I know it sounds like I'm grinding hard but I'm barely pressing."

-Me-"It doesn't sound like that when I do it. You know you don't have to have the peddle to the metal, lower the RPM's and let the diamonds do the work, not your muscles. And if you turn your water on, that will help to."

No Reply, just more SCReEeEIIiIICcHHIInnGGG!!!!!!

An hour later the ceramist doesn't know why it came out of the oven with a fracture.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Why you wax with back hoe?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
a back ho :D
...cause yousa always on dey backs!

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
This noise is usually when a needle tip bur is being ground...

G

grantoz

Reaction score
sounds like y,have a bad listener in ya lab

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
sounds like y,have a bad listener in ya lab
Yea I get the, "I didn't hear you," an awful lot. They've tuned me out I guess...

So last week someone tore the impression coping out of an open tray impression. Don't ask why.
But I explained to them the difference between an open tray and a closed tray and how the impression
copings are designed different for each. And the open tray coping is not to be removed, EVER.

They interpreted it as me being a smart ass know it all fancy pants and choose to tune me out.

Someone also likes to leave models in their open drawer. So when you walk by and push their chair in, SMASH goes the model.
And when I say, lets never keep models there.
That's me being, "Bossy."

Maybe next time I see an implant screw getting tossed around a messy bench, I shouldn't say anything like, "Were gonna lose this screw, keep it in a crown box when your not using it." Cause that's just me being an asshole.

And who the hell am I to show someone their waxups and point out a dozen internal voids and tell them why they need to use the dipping pot. I'm such a jerk.

I really need to change my attitude.

I've worked with some real scary creeps before. I'm not one of them, I'm just trying to share all those little tid bits of knowledge you gain after doing something 1000000000 times. Maybe I should just keep it to myself, they don't listen anyway.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Bitch Bitch Bitch :)

Buy some headphones, put your head down, and produce.

Next time while you're working on a case try and show your technique to the offender in a manner less confrontational, its amazing how much faster and receptive people can be to a visual.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Bitch Bitch Bitch :)

Buy some headphones, put your head down, and produce.

Next time while you're working on a case try and show your technique to the offender in a manner less confrontational, its amazing how much faster and receptive people can be to a visual.

I LOVE when I can put my headphones on. But not 20 minutes can go by before someone needs something so I just take em off. I get most of my work done in the wee hours of the morning when no ones here and I throw Pandora on the bench speakers.

John I don't think anyone will actually listen to me till I have grey hairs showing.

The new guy sat down with me today, I redid his waxups and built some temps, he enjoyed it and I know he can do it too. He's seen my work and knows he can gain from me.
And I make sure and tell him, "My work isn't that great, I got a long way to go to perfect these temp materials, what I would like is for you to be better at it than me. Then we'd be golden."
That's the truth too. I know its possible to build temps out of our materials that look like ceramic crowns. Mine just look like nice temps. That's not good enough.

C

charles007

Reaction score
It the sound of money being made..
And the sound of an over buildup being ground back to where it should have been waxed, stacked, and designed. :banghead:
Some sounds are priceless and very quiet to the hear............ and don't waste materials...:)

fyi Kavo's are a little easier on the ears...

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Why do ceramists insist on grinding too damn hard?

EEeeeEEErrrrRRR SCCrrrRRreEEEeEEEEcCCchHHhhH!!!!

Me-"WHaT ArE YoU GrInDiNg On!!??''

-Ceramist, "Emax. I know it sounds like I'm grinding hard but I'm barely pressing."

-Me-"It doesn't sound like that when I do it. You know you don't have to have the peddle to the metal, lower the RPM's and let the diamonds do the work, not your muscles. And if you turn your water on, that will help to."

No Reply, just more SCReEeEIIiIICcHHIInnGGG!!!!!!

An hour later the ceramist doesn't know why it came out of the oven with a fracture.

Why do CAD designers and waxers always over build the occlusion??? (So the ceramist doesn't fracture it when it's thin?)

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
bosses and people with strong convictions for doing things right are often recieved poorly. .dont stop doing whats right. try showing or telling them why instead of simply barking at them..you'll have those respectable grey hairs in no time...and pride in knowing you tried your best.after they see your intentions are in their best interests i bet the attitude changes.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Why do CAD designers and waxers always over build the occlusion??? (So the ceramist doesn't fracture it when it's thin?)

Why? Because they were not shown what you want regarding occlusion or contour. And if they were and still don't get it they should be shown the door. It is better to suffer being shorthanded than it is to suffer being with inept technicians. We have learned for us that is the best course to follow. Why put up with people that want to buck the trend and possibly drag the moral of the rest of the lab down? We are better off without them.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
I was pretty hard on you in a previous thread. now if everything you tell me is true about the ceramist your dealing with you are not going to get anywhere with them as they are the my $hit doesn't smell style of techo and if they are in charge then its low quality lab . So my friend you sound like you have some skills and motivation a high quality lab will kill for that kind of technician . So it might be time to look for a new job otherwise you will go postal worker on them .A word of advice when you find a new job just remember the new place will have new skills and ways of doing things don't be the new guy that always has a better way of doing things, go with them in the beginning I have a new technician like this at the moment very good techo but they forget we have already some very good techos that are far more skilled than themselves . It can cause a lot of friction don't be the patsy but don't be god either.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
It's ok if I, "Bitch." And people get down on me. I always go for the underdog too. In this case the underdog is someone who cant speak for themselves. When I sit down and explain why something works the way it does or why its in our best interest to do something a certain way. It all goes in one ear and out the other. For example...
Were pretty slow right now. So the ceramist helped me out by grabbing 6 cases to waxup for press. I said use wax A because its clean. (I keep the lid on it and try hard to keep it clean as a whistle, I even wrote, "KEEP CLEAN" on the lid.) But they chose to use an old beige wax that's been sitting out in the open for over a year and has god knows what floating around in it and little bits and pieces of stone and I dunno dead knats and just dirty. So they waxed one up and I saw and reminded them why I said use wax A. And they continued to complete all 6 waxups in dirty wax...
And even though I turned the dipping pot on and explained to use it and to even then readapt the shoulders before beginning the waxup, they chose not too. So when I showed them the voids that need to be fixed, they said it was cause it kept breaking. To which I explained that's another reason to dip the dies. If you dip the dies you have a nice flexible backbone or wax frame to apply the brittle carving wax too.
It all went in one ear and out the other....
So the next morning, I come in at 5:30, crank some Pandora, and sit down and begin to seal the margins under the microscope and spru/invest/etc... but have to readapt everything and almost start over...
So I'm not barking, I'm just saying, Use this wax, this is why. But they just don't wanna play along. And its like that, with almost everything.
Do this, This way, And this is why... then they do almost the opposite...
And I wont be going anywhere, I love this lab and my employer is bad ass too. My employer has a unique situation over here that I love being a part of, even if its a small role, I want to be a part of it.
Any advice on the best way to get your coworkers or employees to listen to you is greatly appreciated. A dental lab is a different atmosphere than most workplaces. So when I try to find good resources online about communication in the workplace, its mostly information that doesn't fit a dental labs atmosphere. I know the best way to be a good manager is first, your people need to like you. So I do what I've seen bosses that I loved do which is simple,
when someone needs help, help them. When someone wants to talk, listen. When someone has an idea, consider it, etc... I've had some great managers and employers before that did a great job because people liked them. I remember one at a large lab, if she needed something done, no matter how much of a pain in the ass it was, all of her techs would volunteer to go the extra mile for her. Because they knew that when they needed something, she would be there. So that's one thing I make sure of, when someone needs something, I'm there.
Anyway, my coffee was delicious and so was my bagel, its 6 am, time to get started, Pandora commence.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Your solution may be a simple as a grey wig.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Why? Because they were not shown what you want regarding occlusion or contour. And if they were and still don't get it they should be shown the door. It is better to suffer being shorthanded than it is to suffer being with inept technicians. We have learned for us that is the best course to follow. Why put up with people that want to buck the trend and possibly drag the moral of the rest of the lab down? We are better off without them.
Mostly joking... I am a waxer first and a ceramist second! I've always been lucky to have exceptional co-workers that want to work as a team.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
It's ok if I, "Bitch." And people get down on me. I always go for the underdog too. In this case the underdog is someone who cant speak for themselves. When I sit down and explain why something works the way it does or why its in our best interest to do something a certain way. It all goes in one ear and out the other. For example...
Were pretty slow right now. So the ceramist helped me out by grabbing 6 cases to waxup for press. I said use wax A because its clean. (I keep the lid on it and try hard to keep it clean as a whistle, I even wrote, "KEEP CLEAN" on the lid.) But they chose to use an old beige wax that's been sitting out in the open for over a year and has god knows what floating around in it and little bits and pieces of stone and I dunno dead knats and just dirty. So they waxed one up and I saw and reminded them why I said use wax A. And they continued to complete all 6 waxups in dirty wax...
And even though I turned the dipping pot on and explained to use it and to even then readapt the shoulders before beginning the waxup, they chose not too. So when I showed them the voids that need to be fixed, they said it was cause it kept breaking. To which I explained that's another reason to dip the dies. If you dip the dies you have a nice flexible backbone or wax frame to apply the brittle carving wax too.
It all went in one ear and out the other....
So the next morning, I come in at 5:30, crank some Pandora, and sit down and begin to seal the margins under the microscope and spru/invest/etc... but have to readapt everything and almost start over...
So I'm not barking, I'm just saying, Use this wax, this is why. But they just don't wanna play along. And its like that, with almost everything.
Do this, This way, And this is why... then they do almost the opposite...
And I wont be going anywhere, I love this lab and my employer is bad ass too. My employer has a unique situation over here that I love being a part of, even if its a small role, I want to be a part of it.
Any advice on the best way to get your coworkers or employees to listen to you is greatly appreciated. A dental lab is a different atmosphere than most workplaces. So when I try to find good resources online about communication in the workplace, its mostly information that doesn't fit a dental labs atmosphere. I know the best way to be a good manager is first, your people need to like you. So I do what I've seen bosses that I loved do which is simple,
when someone needs help, help them. When someone wants to talk, listen. When someone has an idea, consider it, etc... I've had some great managers and employers before that did a great job because people liked them. I remember one at a large lab, if she needed something done, no matter how much of a pain in the ass it was, all of her techs would volunteer to go the extra mile for her. Because they knew that when they needed something, she would be there. So that's one thing I make sure of, when someone needs something, I'm there.
Anyway, my coffee was delicious and so was my bagel, its 6 am, time to get started, Pandora commence.

Has your boss made anyone the manager/team leader/section head/"whatever title you prefer" yet or is it still a collective with no management structure?