This is how we make a cad denture.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Denture milling... brought to you by the same people who brought you Invisalign
AvaDent digital denture has started marketin DFW area.
Tom, which day do you plan to go (Friday and Sat AM, PM if I remember
it was November the first weekend)?
I am trying to free up time to be there also.
Rep came by wife's office the other day also.
They might be making a big push.
Questions abound - what material, water sorption, FDA approved?
TSBDE registered? Fatigue strength and how to reline, etc.
LCM

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
LCM

I watched the little video they made, kind of speaks for itself. It might be good for same day clinics who will have a big surprise (wish i could film the looks on their faces) when they have to grind every one of those denture teeth down to nubs to fit into the cad camed bases without messing up that perfect occlusion:cool:

H

HDL Owner

Reaction score
For Sale: Bunsun burner,#7 spatula, 5lbs wax, and 30 years of experience in denture construction. The wave of the furture~~~~~~~~~~ I do not like the color or shape of teeth! Does not give me a face lift at the same time! MY GOD I show too much teeth! I show too much pink! Opps soft ware will adjust and simply stamp out a new one No Charge! Broke in half in your pocket? No Problem we can ummm produce a new one we have the soft ware! at the cost of a repair LOL~~~~~~~~~~~ I want in on this where do I send my check for 300,000$ for up start?

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
LCM

The Dallas show is this Friday and Saturday morning. I want to go to the Friday afternoon as I have a meeting in Dallas that morning. If my meeting is long I will drive back up Saturday morning.

I'm interested on what the base material is, how they deal with closed verticals where the ditoric must be ground and what they are using as a luting agent for placing the teeth.

This is the first rattle out of the box for this and this is probably going to look like a first wavering step. I wonder do these people that nay say this look at their kids first steps and say that rascal will never be able to run.

I thought most of those that said that can't work were buried under the first railroad tracks.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Anyone that gets to go to the show and can pass info. along it would be much appreciated. Very interesting to say the least....

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
no try-in? i think that would be a problem for some..

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I'm going Saturday morning. Seems like you get a denture to take home and play with.

Hope it not another , step right up folks and for $99 you can watch the monkey climb the high pole. The higher he climbs the more you can see of his as...k me no questions and I'll tell you no lies. Been there, done that,and already have plenty of cheap Tshirts.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
have fun brother, wish i could be there, looks pretty cool :D

H

HDL Owner

Reaction score
Going to back off some: I guess I was burned once too often by fast and modern, Fluid resin= fast, changes color to orange, teeth pop off, patient sensitivity to excess monomer, poor fit,: Tri-add light cure, too time consuming, material sucks to trim, poor fit, teeth popping off, color stability: Injection: if not properly done teeth move! but material is stable! Entra by Dentsply-great for producing dentures-if you do not mind selling crappy illfitting dentures! They are all now collecting dust here in the shop. I still go with the tried and true method of 3 trial packs add a pinch and final clooser of flask method.
Perhaps this is the wave of the furture and YES someday it will be but not tomorrow morning or in in working lifetime. ( 10 years) :)
I would also like some input form those that attend the demo how great it is???????

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
I think this is the start of the CAD/CAM wave; my question is when opposing natural dentition and immediates, how does it adjust.
This process takes the small lab out of the picture and pushes to the large box stores, not sure where I will go from here in the next 10 years; may have to expand my other business.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I think this is the start of the CAD/CAM wave; my question is when opposing natural dentition and immediates, how does it adjust.
This process takes the small lab out of the picture and pushes to the large box stores, not sure where I will go from here in the next 10 years; may have to expand my other business.

seeing as you can print virtually all the materials currently used in cad cam with few exceptions, its safe to say really just look at the existing material specs.

if youre printing PMMA, to cast in EMAX then consider emax wear factors.

if youre printing PMMA to seat in an acrylic denture...

if youre priinting zirconia...

imo it doesnt take the small lab out of the equation at all; merely adds a step or two to the existing process; this only means cases will take a bit longer to do, but you know if you ever manage to screw up or break something that it won't take all the other steps to get your work back. thats what its doing.

those times when your patient says "i lost my denture going diving" is no problem, it can be quickly remade and skip all the initial steps.

a business can thrive on remakes too. especially in a scenario like that.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
seeing as you can print virtually all the materials currently used in cad cam with few exceptions, its safe to say really just look at the existing material specs.

if youre printing PMMA, to cast in EMAX then consider emax wear factors.

if youre printing PMMA to seat in an acrylic denture...

if youre priinting zirconia...

imo it doesnt take the small lab out of the equation at all; merely adds a step or two to the existing process; this only means cases will take a bit longer to do, but you know if you ever manage to screw up or break something that it won't take all the other steps to get your work back. thats what its doing.

those times when your patient says "i lost my denture going diving" is no problem, it can be quickly remade and skip all the initial steps.

a business can thrive on remakes too. especially in a scenario like that.

Especially when you are :spider::rip: The File Keeper :rip::spider:

aimages3.wikia.nocookie.net___cb20100602135929_uncyclopedia_images_c_c4_CryptKeeper.gif
aimages3.wikia.nocookie.net___cb20100602135929_uncyclopedia_images_c_c4_CryptKeeper.gif

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
My premium denture already comes with a copy with cheaper teeth.

Materials are just not a factor. Its the price of labor and the guy with the 400k printers will jump flat footed over the small "middleman" lab. Even if you buy a printer the buying power of the big guys will allow them to sell very close to your costs. A denture made by a machine is just that and it will be about speed and price. Look at what has happened to eyeglasses.

H

HDL Owner

Reaction score
Not the time or place: I still get a laugh out of this posting; I am sure someday dentures will be mass produced by a milling process! However, ONLY the small personal Labs will survive. We can produce the custom made smile and fitting, not a machine sorry guys! It needs to produce something in wax first for patient approval first, then a finished product. Today got a case back for re-set because customer didn't like wideth of centrals-everything was fine. Now computer generated dentures can make a new one for sure, but at what cost? I am a small dirt bag operation, however all the Dr's I have talked to are leaving the cad/cam crowns because of failure rates--- now going to sell them a denture with same results? Good Luck! Ask Dentsply why they ran fast from Dicore crowns? Breakage the first year How many use Dicore crowns now?

H

HDL Owner

Reaction score
bck sorry~~~~~~~~~~~ Time is a factor in dentures! A crown not so--temp and gone. A denture is ,"ALL MY TEETH" I need immedate attention! Someone mentioned glasses and the change: Apple and oranges: I lost my glasses-"that will be 6 weeks" Tough ****! Dentists are not so willing to tell a patient= wait six weeks for your denture! I want it yesterday, and I will be taking the impression tommorow!

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
Not the time or place: I still get a laugh out of this posting; I am sure someday dentures will be mass produced by a milling process! However, ONLY the small personal Labs will survive. We can produce the custom made smile and fitting, not a machine sorry guys! It needs to produce something in wax first for patient approval first, then a finished product. Today got a case back for re-set because customer didn't like wideth of centrals-everything was fine. Now computer generated dentures can make a new one for sure, but at what cost? I am a small dirt bag operation, however all the Dr's I have talked to are leaving the cad/cam crowns because of failure rates--- now going to sell them a denture with same results? Good Luck! Ask Dentsply why they ran fast from Dicore crowns? Breakage the first year How many use Dicore crowns now?

i agree with this post.
i have also spoken with quit a few docs that aren't jazzed with the cad crowns anymore. (but they love them milled bars). cad dentures will happen for sure but when its all said and done i think there place will settle down in the quick, cheap all denture clinics. not a market i've ever cared about servicing anyway.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Relax guys, your jobs are safe.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I find this rather strange because my turn on anything is 7 working days including shipping. I do over 50% removable work and lots of dentures with premium teeth and I throw in a economy backup denture. On the other end the local Affordable Dentures is in and out in one day and their parking lot is alway full. Lots of ways to remove the cat fur.

Dentures labs and their service time is real different from one area to the next and is usually handed down from the labs doing this before we got there. I work with offices all over the country and most are without a local removable lab and they have no problem with my service time. There is no shortage of ceramists but there is a shortage of trained removable techs and they still jump when the dentists says frog. I just don't understand.

What happened to those techs that said chrome will never replace a gold framework. You saying it will not work will in the long run have little to do with how it shakes out. I'm going to be there bright and early in the morning to watch.

I'm not saying it will work but I'd pay $99 to watch a pissant try to eat a bale of hay.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
About 50% of the dentist out there barley have the clinical chops to do any sort of C&B well. They just can not understand why their slightly modified gold crown preps they got to work most of time on their pfms is failing with emax and YZ.

I have dentists that love the cnc work and never have a problem but have more that blame the cnc for its ability to only see what they sent for information.It does take a trained tech to do the work for these dentists. Had one call me and say the emax had a soft spot in it and thats why the almost knife edge margin broke. I started sending his non conforming prep designs back and he called to fire me and said I didn't know what I was doing. Oh yes I did.