Digital Model Charge Per Arch

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I get about 80 to 100 models out of a spool of filament.Probably 75% are quads.
I pay about 35$ for a spool of pla to produce those models.
That works out to about 35-43 cents per model.
Do you find you get good quality out of the filament printers? Or are you printing like antagonist and less accurate models with that printer?

What printer are you using? If you don't mind me asking

I couldn't imagine it would be suitable for preps and implants, but hey would love to be told otherwise haha.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Do you find you get good quality out of the filament printers? Or are you printing like antagonist and less accurate models with that printer?

What printer are you using? If you don't mind me asking

I couldn't imagine it would be suitable for preps and implants, but hey would love to be told otherwise haha.
The Renfert Simplex is marketed to orthodontics with a 50 micron accuracy. 50 microns is accurate for occlusion and contacts but not margins. However accuracy as you know comes from the design and the milling machine. This allows me to use “ Prints Hairy “ for c and b as well as removables and ortho. The c&b model is mostly theater when you accurately designing crowns and implants. For implants, I merge the abutment with the model and eliminate the surrounding tissue in model maker. For more advanced implant bridge cases requiring analogs, I’ll outsource the model to Argen and change extra.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
The Renfert Simplex is marketed to orthodontics with a 50 micron accuracy. 50 microns is accurate for occlusion and contacts but not margins. However accuracy as you know comes from the design and the milling machine. This allows me to use “ Prints Hairy “ for c and b as well as removables and ortho. The c&b model is mostly theater when you accurately designing crowns and implants. For implants, I merge the abutment with the model and eliminate the surrounding tissue in model maker. For more advanced implant bridge cases requiring analogs, I’ll outsource the model to Argen and change extra.
Makes sense, we have a similar setup were lower accuracy, lower cost printers/materials for ortho, removables, antagonists and basically anything that does not need sub 50 microns accuracy.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Makes sense, we have a similar setup were lower accuracy, lower cost printers/materials for ortho, removables, antagonists and basically anything that does not need sub 50 microns accuracy.
Exactly.
I researched the filament printers available on Amazon thinking I had overpaid. I probably did but soon realized that the Simplex is a beast compared to most of the hobby printers.
This thing is built like a tank. I downloaded the Benchy stl which is the go to object to test for accuracy and it passed the main criteria.
The nesting software is so easy to use and the build plate can handle all I need in a day although I’m getting busier lately and usually run a build overnight and another in the day.
No one has complained about either the basic model appearance or the accuracy of my restorations which means I made the right decision for my situation.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Exactly.
I researched the filament printers available on Amazon thinking I had overpaid. I probably did but soon realized that the Simplex is a beast compared to most of the hobby printers.
This thing is built like a tank. I downloaded the Benchy stl which is the go to object to test for accuracy and it passed the main criteria.
The nesting software is so easy to use and the build plate can handle all I need in a day although I’m getting busier lately and usually run a build overnight and another in the day.
No one has complained about either the basic model appearance or the accuracy of my restorations which means I made the right decision for my situation.
Pics or it didn't happen! 😂

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Benchy, the most 3D printed part in the galaxy.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Like quadrant bite tray casts are so accurate with the pulls and holes. God forbid someday had to take an extra 10 minutes to make $900 on a crown.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Like quadrant bite tray casts are so accurate with the pulls and holes. God forbid someday had to take an extra 10 minutes to make $900 on a crown.
Not every patient is comfortable with that wad in their mouth . That extra ten minutes puts extra strain on the barfometer
puke GIF

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Not every patient is comfortable with that wad in their mouth . That extra ten minutes puts extra strain on the barfometer.
I thought the extra trouble is why they take a $200 crown and charge $1100. You mean they charge 500% mark up just for glueing it on?
money cash GIF

Last edited:
LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Exactly.
Damn thats good to know, and if in the end it works then even better haha, I haven't used filament printers almost at all so its coming as a surprise that there are some more accurate than I expected.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Damn thats good to know, and if in the end it works then even better haha, I haven't used filament printers almost at all so its coming as a surprise that there are some more accurate than I expected.
Well from what I know it uses a regular 0.4 nozzle, but I would say the accuracy comes in a better than average rail system and stepper motors. Probably a good leveling setup too.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Check out Renfert Simplex. Debar Gold in Kanata sells them and stocks the filaments. They have more plans for this printer down the line.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Well from what I know it uses a regular 0.4 nozzle, but I would say the accuracy comes in a better than average rail system and stepper motors. Probably a good good leveling setup too.
Yes a .4 nozzle however I just received a.2 nozzle from them.
Austin Powers Evil Laugh GIF

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Yes a .4 nozzle however I just received a.2 nozzle from them.
Loolol
Well that'll definitely improve your print quality.... But the trade-off is you'll halve your print time. Maybe I would say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It probably uses standard nozzles, so you can go for a 1mm and print some doodads in triple speed

Last edited:
LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Check out Renfert Simplex. Debar Gold in Kanata sells them and stocks the filaments. They have more plans for this printer down the line.
Yeah going to check them out for sure! It could be nice for the bulk ortho models as our biggest issue is material cost. Not that its overly expensive, and we charge for it but if we can reduce the cost to filament cost it would be really nice for those.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Loolol
Well that'll definitely improve your print quality.... But the trade-off is you'll halve your print time. Maybe I would say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It probably uses standard nozzles, so you can go for a 1mm and print some doodads in triple speed
Ya, I’m not sure what the smaller nozzle is for but if I could print temporary crowns with it that would be cool. The printer comes with 2 custom settings but I’m not smart enough to know how to use them.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Ya, I’m not sure what the smaller nozzle is for but if I could print temporary crowns with it that would be cool. The printer comes with 2 custom settings but I’m not smart enough to know how to use them.
Its simple.... The smaller the nozzle, the increase in detail. Given a defined object to print, let's say a pencil. The software calculates say 500 build layers with a 0.4 nozzle to complete.

When you switch to a 0.2 nozzle and change in the printer setting, it will calculate 1000 layers to build the same size pencil. Therefore it will take twice as long to print. However the benefit is the details will be smoother because those layer lines will be cut in half.

You will just have to determine if it's beneficial or not for the extra print time.

Whether you want VHS quality or DVD quality. At that point you're going to find the ceiling for FDM printing. You'll have to have a resin printer if you want that HD/4k look.

As far as printing crowns, the nozzle will add no further capability. And to my knowledge there is no thermoplastic that could be used to make crowns. It is possible you could do something like a "snap on smile" if they made an appropriate filament. However most thermoplastics that can go through that hot end and also have sufficient pressure to extrude, probably would be unbondable with cement.