Shade taking question

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
Any good devices to take teeth + ceramic checking after that of the shade ? was thinking about vita easyshade advance 4.0 but after hearing the price i was disappointed :( , any similar device on market or its the only one ?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
No device that I know is good enough . Spending 2-3 k for just showing off to the patient is not a good enough reason for me . DSLR camera with ringflash and Smilelite from Smileline is all I use .

Saluki

Saluki

Reaction score
Any system only gives you a starting point. None that I now of do an accurate job of measuring value.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Vita Easyshade is a great idea for your accounts to use.. very fast to get the shade, then verify with shade tabs.. Cameras are great so us labs can see the teeth. A great software called Clear Match is another tool to use with cameras. I hope this is the correct name !! please correct me on this, I think the name may have been changed with the company that now sells it..
I had planned to buy Easyshade for my lab many years ago until I learned Easyshade can not check all ceramic crowns...
I basically see it as a tool for the doctor to use as a time saver..

Last edited:
Smilemaker1234

Smilemaker1234

Reaction score
Any good devices to take teeth + ceramic checking after that of the shade ? was thinking about vita easyshade advance 4.0 but after hearing the price i was disappointed :( , any similar device on market or its the only one ?
I have one. Do not waste your money!
Disappointed in product.

Smilemaker1234

Smilemaker1234

Reaction score
I was talking about easy shade
I do not have experience with others.

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
Drizzt i understand that the camera with ringflash is very good option but the docs are in a hurry and i have the feeling they wont photograph each patient .
Charles they are having now a new easyshade model which does check the ceramic shades too , still i want to look more about this product before i buy it , its too much expensive ..

M

martintay

Reaction score
Edy I have the "Easyshade" - it is good for a basic guide in any light ! It needs a quality photo follow up as well to see the true picture IMO.

M

martintay

Reaction score
It will check shade ( Put it in verify Restoration mode ) It gives a graph + or _ hue / value etc. Good /fair / poor !!

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
So martin u recommend me to buy it ? it checks for you porcelain crown too ??

M

martintay

Reaction score
Edy if I was honest I probably would not recommend you spend the money on this machine . I would spend on something that gets used daily and makes you money . IMO its a tool for the dentist and beware you will have a nightmare if they start using it to "Verify the shade". Especially if you are not using VITA porcelain !!

M

martintay

Reaction score
Also if any of your dentists buy one of these . make sure they keep the "calibration-block" clean and recalibrate every time they use it ! After recalibration put it in "Shade Tab" mode and scan the shade tabs - as it can regularly give false readings ! When taking tooth shades use it in "Tooth- Area" mode - ie three separate readings , cervical area , body area,and incisal area.The one shade mode ( can`t remember what its called ) is a waste of time as it just gives an average shade. Also if its set in 3D shade mode as opposed too "Classic" you will end up with lots of interpolated shades-ie a mixture of 2 X 3D shades ! Pain in the ass if you don`t have every 3D shade in the lab !! I does not read translucency :( - therefore it will give you an incisal reading like "EN1" etc. Its pretty basic, so you need to interpret the true characteristics by "Eye & Photograph" I think a nice DSLR
, macro lens (105mm for patients) and a dual flash would be money better spent - and you will have money to spare :)

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
Your great Martin , i will start searching then for a good camera with dual flesh or ringflash like Drizzt recommended and leave the device for now . .

C

charles007

Reaction score
martintay, I totally agree with you. 3-4 years ago I got to demo the easyshade for several day and took several patients shades with it. Vita rep told me to calibrate, calibrate, calibrate. He said you couldn't calibrate to much !While I had the demo I checked all my shade guides and learned 2 of my classical shades needed to be replaced. As I kept checking my tabs I kept getting false reading and had to recalibrate again before getting an accurate shade. :( I guess the newer software on the Easyshade would be much improved !
For doctors I do see it as a great tool to save time but for labs a better idea would be to buy expensive corrective bench lamps and camera setup. New camera/ corrective lighting would be a lot cheaper than buying the Easyshade for labs

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The most shade problems we have is with those accounts who use this contraption exclusively for shade taking :mad:

C

charles007

Reaction score
The most shade problems we have is with those accounts who use this contraption exclusively for shade taking :mad:
Ask your accounts if they updated the software ,, and tell them to calibrate on each use, and confirm with shade guides.. Also ask to check the tabs on all their shade guides.. Do you or the doctor use shades tabs with the darker necks cut off ... Everyone must be on the same page, and proper lightly on both ends..
So many variables in getting a good shade match...

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Why is it some Docs stick with a shade range all the time?, I have a doc who prescribe shades from D2-D3 95% of the time. I call him the D doc. While I have one doc always proscribe A2-A3. That is the A doc. It seems that patients with an A shade goes to the A doc etc.:banghead::D.

M

martintay

Reaction score
Why is it some Docs stick with a shade range all the tim spelling)e?, I have a doc who prescribe shades from D2-D3 95% of the time. I call him the D doc. While I have one doc always proscribe A2-A3. That is the A doc. It seems that patients with an A shade goes to the A doc etc.:banghead::D.
Lol I have this scenario - I think its a combination of their décor/lighting conditions and partial colour (Yes English spelling) blindness ? I`m also amazed how many dentists when I visit them have a load of shade tabs missing from their guide. They lose or break them over the years and are too tight to replace them !!

Top Bottom