Porcelain build up techniques and color mapping .

D

dabza

Reaction score
Hello guys , if anyone can guide me to where i can find books on how to read cases and get exact shema of color and shape for percelain build up i will be grateful , thanks in advance

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
There’s lots to see and learn from in this thread

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hello guys , if anyone can guide me to where i can find books on how to read cases and get exact shema of color and shape for percelain build up i will be grateful , thanks in advance
To add, look for books by Gerald Ubassy:

Or Oliver Brix:

D

dabza

Reaction score
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Personally I try to focus on contours and do minimal layering. Complicated builds = starving artist.
My # 1 technique 99% of the time is full contour design facial scooped out cut back,
Stain color and character to match.
Then a thin layer like a skin of incisal over.

1644170131367.jpeg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
All these the same 1 powder builds maybe sometimes 2 powders. A regular incisal and a whiter incisal or in the case of zirconia with a cut back to the gingival I add dentin there.
But all stain underneath with skin over no complicated shade mapping or 10 + powder builds anymore.
Much more predictable for single anteriors for me and very fast.

339DA434-53C0-42DE-8B4E-FCFF167919AC.jpeg F3074995-4BEF-491F-9582-BBF12787B680.jpeg 67608771-383E-4713-91C1-5E5D77019CC9.jpeg

D

dabza

Reaction score
Personally I try to focus on contours and do minimal layering. Complicated builds = starving artist.
My # 1 technique 99% of the time is full contour design facial scooped out cut back,
Stain color and character to match.
Then a thin layer like a skin of incisal over.

View attachment 40326
Wirh zirconia . it works like a sharm yea
All these the same 1 powder builds maybe sometimes 2 powders. A regular incisal and a whiter incisal or in the case of zirconia with a cut back to the gingival I add dentin there.
But all stain underneath with skin over no complicated shade mapping or 10 + powder builds anymore.

View attachment 40327 View attachment 40328 View attachment 40329
First thing , your work is great🤩🤩 , iam happy for the patients . Iam new to layering and ceramics in general . Ill follow the cutback technique and internal staining a for most cases as you said . Thank you so much .

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Wirh zirconia . it works like a sharm yea

First thing , your work is great🤩🤩 , iam happy for the patients . Iam new to layering and ceramics in general . Ill follow the cutback technique and internal staining a for most cases as you said . Thank you so much .

Then also notice his tooth form, line angles, embrasures, tissue emergence, his surface contours and effects, and the satin sheen. Yes, we all have a ways to go, but at least when we see work like this, it gives us something to encourage us and to aim for, so that our patients will be happy, too :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

View attachment 40327 View attachment 40328 View attachment 40329
When are you offering in person old-school hand layering classes? w will be there, just tell me when and how much sir.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Then also notice his tooth form, line angles, embrasures, tissue emergence, his surface contours and effects, and the satin sheen. Yes, we all have a ways to go, but at least when we see work like this, it gives us something to encourage us and to aim for, so that our patients will be happy, too :)
Yes I think contours are # 1

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I use a small brush a a sharp pointed instrument to add some of the dark lines.
I would not know how to begin a case like that with multiple powders.
I know several that map it out and mix 15 to 20 combinations of powders.
Would make my head explode.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Funny, Like and Agree.

What if you were to show the 15 - 20 powder builders what can be done with a good background and stain, would probably make their heads explode :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Funny, Like and Agree.

What if you were to show the 15 - 20 powder builders what can be done with a good background and stain, would probably make their heads explode :)
i think those guys are being shown new competition with things like Miyo on the market. it sure makes it easier to get more depth and life like results with relatively little skill.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
i think those guys are being shown new competition with things like Miyo on the market. it sure makes it easier to get more depth and life like results with relatively little skill.
I haven’t tried Miyo
Is it worth buying the kit ?
I guess I can order a shade at a time
I figure the full kit would probably cost $2,000 at least ???

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
we don't have to prove how to wax or build up a crown anymore

1644339037161.png