Pontic side scanning of wax-up in Exocad / MultiCAD (KaVo)

C

CADCAM

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to scan the pontic side of a wax up?

We are new with ExoCAD, and have a large bridge to copy mill. Is there a way to scan the pontic side of the wax-up bridge? I don't seem to find an option to do that. We are using MultiCAD, which is the KaVo version of ExoCAD.

Any recommendations?
Thanks

3ShapeTrios

Reaction score
I can't say for sure, sorry, but you will most likely need a special fixture to hold the bridge up so that it can scan the top and bottom of the bridge. That, or possibly adding scans later to fill in the voids. For 3Shape you need a special wax-up bridge holder that holds the bridge so both sides are visible to the cameras.

C

CADCAM

Reaction score
I can't say for sure, sorry, but you will most likely need a special fixture to hold the bridge up so that it can scan the top and bottom of the bridge. That, or possibly adding scans later to fill in the voids. For 3Shape you need a special wax-up bridge holder that holds the bridge so both sides are visible to the cameras.

Thanks 3ShapeTrios, obviously you are correct about 3shape. Same with our older KaVo EnergyCAD. But with ExoCAD, the sofware is asking to scan the waxup on the model only, no option of scanning the pontic side to fill in the voids.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Good question, not had to do this one yet! but it will come up at some point, I would of thought you could of scanned it on the preps and then just turned it upside down and then use the align mesh mode but like I said I have not had to do it yet, I know its over kill but one way that would work would be to scan it in old software as a wax up bridge, go all the way through including the upside down scan and then do the reference point section so it merges the two images and saves them in Geomagic. Make a note of the mess file where your image is saved then scan it through Exocad/multiCAD and just swap the .stl (wax up) files over. Easy as that Lol Like I said a bit long winded but if you cant find what you need in Exo then this will work. All the best Pete

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
I should just fill in under the pontic where you will have to cut to the gingival site later. It may be different on different scanners as Kavo has their own scan software. It just assumes what it can't see should be closed.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
I know what you mean Rej but if its something complex like a Hader bar then you need that info...........

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Flip it over and scan.

What the problem?

Then, add the two scans together to make one file to be used as the waxup.

Should be a piece of cake.

You will need to align the two meshs in scanner software.

C

CADCAM

Reaction score
Good question, not had to do this one yet! but it will come up at some point, I would of thought you could of scanned it on the preps and then just turned it upside down and then use the align mesh mode but like I said I have not had to do it yet, I know its over kill but one way that would work would be to scan it in old software as a wax up bridge, go all the way through including the upside down scan and then do the reference point section so it merges the two images and saves them in Geomagic. Make a note of the mess file where your image is saved then scan it through Exocad/multiCAD and just swap the .stl (wax up) files over. Easy as that Lol Like I said a bit long winded but if you cant find what you need in Exo then this will work. All the best Pete

Thanks Pete, I may have to follow your suggestion unless I can figure out if I can do what Scott is suggesting, or I may have to go with it with GeoMagic all the way :(

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Don't be sad my friend Geo is still a very cool program, we use it everyday with MultiCAD, If you use the two of them together you can pull off some very smart stuff. Hope you sort it out and if you do figure out what to do in exo then please let us know. Pete

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I just scan what it will and in Exo just grab the Pontic and pull through the tissue. Select the "Adapt Pontic to tissue" button and your good to go;)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
yes, that is good, and you can even dial in the space for porcelain....or leave flush with the ridge.

(simple parameter change)