New PC for CAD

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Charles, sounds like you have a great computer.

You don't need the lastest top-of-the-line processor.
That costs too much for what you need.

The i7 you got should be a rocket! Most all of us jelous are using slower computers.

I only upgraded because the CAM software really eats up processing power.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
tom's hardware is the site you are looking for Colin.
Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews
Charts, benchmarks 2010 Gaming Graphics Charts (High Quality),3D Noise

I just ordered a new Alienware with six core i7 overclocked.
Dual solid-state hard drives in RAID 0 config.
I like nvidia graphics cards, as their drivers are more stable.
GTX series is good.

That should kick some asswhole. Being built now....

I passed on the Dell workstations with the Xeon processors.

From what I've seen....the 3Shape scanner isn't exactly high-resolution. The output files are kinda small and not very detailed.

I will be running CIMs Sum3d for CAM and Rhino w/Dental Shaper on it mostly.

oooh.... nice... please, do tell us the full specs!

is alienware worth it? it seems to be about double the cost...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It's just a high end Dell.
Better customer service, and on-site repair.

Everything is faster in the Aliens. Dell starts off with faster processors as the base model for Aliens, then goes up to crazy fast. Power supplys are bigger to start off with. The whole computer is physicaly BIG and heavy. Can hold four hard drives. Internal wiring always looks very professional with a little art work in the layout. RAM and other componants are always high-end.

Regular comsumer computers start off with the bottom of the bottom processors and go up to the middle.

Mine runs at overclocked 3.36ghz I believe with liquid cooling and active vents to keep processor from overheating. I guess you could make your own, but often they are not stable. It takes tinkering to find a stable set-up. Alienware has had great reviews for years with many happy customers who demand high performance for games or CAD.

The extra $1000 or so will be made-up very fast in reduced labor and waiting for the calculations. 100% sure of that.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about poor service and support... is there anything to it, or has it improved under Dell?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The 3M scanners are 3-5x more data points per sq mm. than most all other scanners. German made.

The file size also is 3-5x larger. I don't know how all the others are considered OK for Dentistry ???

Here is the non-Dental version. http://www.steinbichler-vision.com/pdf/COMET_xS_04_2009_en_A3_SVS_screenVersion.pdf

Check out the specs and how much it really costs. I'll bet the 3Shape scanner is worth around $5000 in reality, and the 3M more like $30,000.

COMET 5 with robot on Vimeo

The 3M scanner is actualy $65,000 without the Dental software from Steinbichler Optiks. Called the Comet XS...Same thing, but Black in color. I just tried to order one!
http://www.steinbichler-vision.com/pdf/COMET_xS_04_2009_en_A3_SVS_screenVersion.pdf

It really is an amazing scanner. I can't say enough about it.
The next model up scanner is over $100,000 from the same company.
(Regular Comet, not the XS version)
They make the worlds best, most expensive scanners that I can find.

Nothing like a $3,000 NextEngine

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
5-7 micron accuracy..did I read that correctly?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
....then add the slop for the big mills (+/- 4 microns when it was new) + other variables and you end up still within the specs of Dentistry.

If you start off with a scanner of +/- 25 microns, or even 50 microns...then you are not allowing any room for error in the mill/manufacturing or software. Which is impossible.

I thought 3M said Four micron accuracy for the first generation 3M scanners (I still love them),then I guess Five micron for the newer models. (camera has wider field in newer models)

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
The 3m scanner is pretty impressive. Maybe we should get a thread going to discuss the differences between....

-data accuracy
-data precision
-data density
etc etc

and get a table sumarizing the different scan/mills/prints out there just to show the spectrum from Cerec in office all the way to mega 3m super Comet. Even if we just use the manufacture's claims we should be able to get a decent handle on what is within the realm of good or not good.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I will have the tools to do a "scanner shoot out" soon.

There will be a master die we all will scan. The results will be examined in .stl format and data points can be measured in distance apart, quantity, and overall file size.

Do you think we should scan a quarter coin? Just to see the detailed surface? (or not)

Some scanners have less data points just above the margin to aid in computer processing.

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
That is a great idea. I'll brainstorm about what a good "test object" or calibration item might be. Quarter seems pretty dang good. The problem is, how do we know the "true" specs of the quarter? We would have to get some caliper measurements for a real world comparison. It would be nice if we had something that was not metal, as then we could get a CT scan of it too. Maybe there is a very high tolerance ceramic part out there that is not too expensive with high detail.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score

What if we designed something in software so we know its "ideal" specs. Then milled it with the best mill out of eMax. Then we would have a test object with +/- 10 micron ish accuracy that could be both scanned or CTed.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Hey you'all plastic gun token scumbags. I'll meet you at the OK Coral for the shootout . Must warn you, I'm packing a 22kg stainless steel cabinet that might be bullet proof to my hip, that has white light that will shoot your plastic tinted piece of crap play toy scanners to pieces. I'm also totin 9 position bullets, so be very scared you hear !
To make it more fair, I will only carry my 5 position die holder.. meant to say bullets. Been told that I can hit a moving object at 2 microns. hehe . Will learn soon just how accurate I am soon.

I'm calling out first, all the cerec in-lab babies, I'll take you guys 2 at a time, with one eye closed . You cad/cam want to bees, want to play house with the doctors, you over paid, you fools you......AOL....

Next I'm taken on all the 3Shape plastic tinted labs ... you'll be eating my dust and wishing you had stayed away from plastic toys you hear.

Scott, I'll be looking for you next....you toy making, Santa wanna be, Lava boot legging punk. Don't go hiding behind your big ass Lava Mill, or take off on your slick little home made motor cross moped. I'll find you if it takes me light years.

OK, WHO'S FIRST !!

Scott, how accurate are you little play toys you print.....Can they be scanned to test .

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm gonna give you a piccolo where yor white light don't shine...

:boink::caked::fish::whoo:

C

charles007

Reaction score

that piece of crapola is an antique, might want to save it for a rainy day to sell.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Hey you'all plastic gun token scumbags. I'll meet you at the OK Coral for the shootout . Must warn you, I'm packing a 22kg stainless steel cabinet that might be bullet proof to my hip, that has white light that will shoot your plastic tinted piece of crap play toy scanners to pieces. I'm also totin 9 position bullets, so be very scared you hear !
To make it more fair, I will only carry my 5 position die holder.. meant to say bullets. Been told that I can hit a moving object at 2 microns. hehe . Will learn soon just how accurate I am soon.

I'm calling out first, all the cerec in-lab babies, I'll take you guys 2 at a time, with one eye closed . You cad/cam want to bees, want to play house with the doctors, you over paid, you fools you......AOL....

Next I'm taken on all the 3Shape plastic tinted labs ... you'll be eating my dust and wishing you had stayed away from plastic toys you hear.

Scott, I'll be looking for you next....you toy making, Santa wanna be, Lava boot legging punk. Don't go hiding behind your big ass Lava Mill, or take off on your slick little home made motor cross moped. I'll find you if it takes me light years.

OK, WHO'S FIRST !!

Scott, how accurate are you little play toys you print.....Can they be scanned to test .

LOL,,,:D:D:D:D You go get em Charles.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

OK, WHO'S FIRST !!

Thanks Charles, Now I have to clean coffee off my monitor, that was hilarious :)

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Thanks Charles, Now I have to clean coffee off my monitor, that was hilarious :)

So funny, only you Rob,,, Naw been there before. Cant remember which was better the original laugh or laughing at myself for doing that. :D:D:D:D:D:D
Dis b sum gud chit.

C

charles007

Reaction score

rkm,,, take your axe to your antique piece of metal, and chop it into several piece. Scott and I will scan the remaining parts for accuracy. The plastic 3shape scanner is to small to scan these pieces. They will have to withdraw from the shootout.......:p
I think the inlab guys are still crying over the no trade-in policy over the red cam, or is it blue... who cares..... cerec users are full of crap anyway ! aol :D

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Boy, dems fighting words.... I'll just stand clear. Wait till the smoke, ahem,,,BS clears.