Exocad Hardware Requirements

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Im not a computer guy. Im taking small steps and trying to learn. Where are my mistakes in this...
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nNCbm8
I would probably steer you away from the Vega 64. If you're set on AMD, I would recommend the 56. Better performance per watt. And a custom water loop might be a bit much if you've never built a PC.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
My Re-build:

Alienware R1 Platform

ATX 58 MB
i7 930 2.8 gbs
Samsung Pro SSD 256 g ... boot drive
Samsung 500 g storage ( dual and mirrored)
Zotac AMP 1060 GTX 6G GPU
Crucial 24 G, 6x4 DDR3;RAM 1600MHZ

K

Kan

Reaction score
Sorry Contraluz, I haven't logged in for a long time and didn't read your comment until just now.

I ended up buying a Lenovo gaming desktop. I didn't got a workstation because the workstation video cards seemed overpriced to me. I would have build my own desktop if it was for myself. But since I am getting it for the lab, I want some kind of service in case I am busy and cannot attend to its problems.

I compared a few brands (Dell, HP and Lenovo) and Lenovo ended up to be the cheapest of them all. It was around US$1500 and I could have probably saved a few hundred bucks by building my own and skipping some of the bundled software (like Microsoft Office... I don't need Office for this PC).

We have been using it for a few weeks and it's very very smooth. I run 3shape CAMBridge on as well and it "seemed" to run quicker on the new PC.

I think I might have over-speced a few things (might not need the SSD and could have used a slower CPU),but I think I would be save and still run new version of the different softwares (for hopefully 5 years?),it should still be ok.

If I may, what did you spend on this configuration? You can PM, if you don't want to put it in public. I am in the same boat and looking around. thanks in advance!

M

K

Kan

Reaction score
I just got a hp omen 870-240
I7 7700
16gb ram
Gtx 1070
1tb had

No ssd but still is fast. There was another hp omen with the exact same specs as yours for 1399.00 from best buy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I kind of think SSD was a nice to have, but an overkill.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry Contraluz, I haven't logged in for a long time and didn't read your comment until just now

No worries, Kan. Thanks for the update! I have not done anything on my end. I will have your comments in mind, when upgrading.

Thanks again,

M

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I beg to differ, SSD's have a much higher read/write time, allowing any software to access data and save data much faster then a 7200rpm HDD. It takes a normal hdd drive pc about 1 min to load fro m a cold start, ssd pc's are around 30 seconds depending on the ssd and amount if data on it. Upgraded our 2016 3shape pc to an ssd and noticed a drastic change. Expensive yes overkill, no.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

L

Leejh

Reaction score
you can get the same spec as that omen but with a +ssd for 1k in US microcenter.