New PC for Industrial scanning

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
My new PC specs....will arrive Mon or Tues.

I ordered this to utilize my new Steinbichler scanner, Very new version of 64-bit exocad (week old),and Tesla K20 GPU and Quadro K5000 Graphics cards.
The Steinbichler software for meshing the data points uses the GPU, just like AutoCAD would. Exocad also is now written to use the GPU mainly! PERFECT Combo! :p

The Steinbichler requires a motherboard that has
room for a PCI card with Texas Instruments Chip-set on it to run the Firewire to the Industrial, Point Grey Research "Flea" Camera for fastest data transfer. (Expensive camera IMO) It has a USB for controling the rotary tables and connecting to the scanner, but camera uses a weird ass system that is very picky about firewire connections.
You pretty much need a WorkStation class motherboard and Xeon processor(s) to use the scanner. No Alienware or anything else will work. I have Ten computers around me, and nothing would work!! LOL

The Motherboard has a very new style PCIx slot that is Gen 3.0
Actually, many of them. The latest Graphics Cards are able to work with "regular" PCI express 2.0, but they really ROCK with Motherboards that have the newest 3.0 architecture. (I think for now, only Workstation class?)

I got Four SSDs in RAID 10 config. This means that Two are striped (2x the speed as single) and Two are striped-mirrors (For redundency and safty) 1080Mb/sec performance.

Anyway....here is the build, minus the K20 and K5000 nVidia cards, that were around $4500 or so?

(The upper 2x PCI-E x16 Gen 3 slots are enabled only if you use 2 CPUs. This gives you the ability to install video card and GPU one far from the other for better cooling
2- With 2 CPUs the unit comes with a kit to improve airflow for RAMs. CPUs and PCI slots
3- Gives you the possibility to install the H310 controller. Amazing card! )

Server Type: DELL PRECISION T7600 WORKSTATION
Operating System: PRE INSTALLED WINDOWS 7 PRO + LICENSE
Processor(s): 2 X INTEL XEON 6 CORE PROCESSOR E5-2640 2.50GHZ 15MB CACHE 7.2 GT/S QPI TDP 95W
Memory: 24GB MEMORY (SUPPORTS UP TO 512GB OF MEMORY TOTAL, 16 DIMMS)
Hard Drive(s): 4 X SAMSUNG 256GB SSD SATA 2.5 INCH 840 PRO READS 540MB/S WRITES 520MB/S 15W HARD DRIVE
Drive Bays: 4 X 3.5 INCH SAS/SATA/SSD DRIVES
Drive Controller: DELL PERC H310 6GB/S RAID 0,1,5,10,50
Optical Drive(s): DVD-RW DRIVE
Video: NO VIDEO CARD
Slots: 2 X PCIE X16 GEN 3, 2 X ADDITIONAL PCIE X16 GEN (WITH 2ND PROCESSOR),1 X PCIE X16 GEN 3 WIRED X4, 1 X PCIE X16 GEN WIRED X4, 1 X PCI 32BIT/33MHZ
Networking: INTEGRATED INTEL 82579 AND INTEL 82754 GIGABIT ETHERNET CONTROLLERS
Ports: FRONT: 3 X USB 2.0, 1 X USB 3.0, 1 MIC, 1 X HEADPHONE. INTERNAL: 3 X USB 2.0, 2 X SATA 6.0 GB/S. REAR: 5 X USB 2.0, 1 X USB 3.0, 2 X PS2, 1 X SERIAL, 2 X RJ45, 1 X 1394A (OPTIONAL),1 X PARALLEL (OPTIONAL)
Power Supply: 1300W EXTERNALLY ACCESSIBLE POWER SUPPLY
Documentation: FULL DOCUMENTATION
Dimensions: 16.95 X 8.50 X 20.67 INCHES (438 X 216 X 545 MM),38 LBS MINIMUM WEIGHT
WARRANTY: 5 YEAR IT CREATIONS WARRANTY
Shipping: Free US ground

$5350

aregmedia.co.uk_2012_04_23_dell_precision_t7600_workstation.jpg
aregmedia.co.uk_2012_04_23_dell_precision_t7600_workstation.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thats a beast!

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Nice! My new one arrives Monday;)

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD

doug

doug

Reaction score
Can you play Spider Solitaire on it?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you sure 1300watts is enough? the two pcie cards need 375w each. what kind of passive cooling are you using for your ssd's? simple case fans?

why not use your upper case's pcie slots for drop-in fans ? or are you saving that for an s10000 (gen2)?

seems an awful lot for angry birds.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
CHL I think 1300watts will be plenty.

Scott

For $5350.00 they better of given you free second day shipping.

Wait, did i read right NO GPU?! for 5350.00 Good Lord!!!

You know Scott, you probably could of pieced one together for half the price and with better parts, but that 5 year warranty is nice!

I am more of a build it your self person, my Hex core at home rocks pretty nice on 16GB of ram, all 6 cores clocked at 4.1Ghz.

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
AMD Overclocker's Black Platform
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.6GHz Overclocked
Seidon 120XL Water cooler
32 Gig DDR3 RAM 2x8gb PC1600 CAS 8-8-8-24 Gigabit network interface
THX Certified Sound
ATI Radeon XFX HD7970 3gig Dual Fan
256gig Samsung PRO SSD Drive
Asus 24x DVD RW drive SATA
4 - USB 2.0 ports
4 - USB 3.0 ports
Asrock 990FX EXTREME 4 mainboard
CM Storm Scout Mid Tower

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
nice, but your motherboard does not properly match your Graphics Card Jason.

I would have gone with a board that has PCIx gen 3.0 slot because your graphics card was made for that, and not the 2.0 slot that you have bought.

It just puts a limit on your GPU and you don't get the full performance out of your investment.

Last edited:
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
So you gonna go quaddros? or get the Titan? nice specs

What kind of memory ram is it and @ what speed?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Quadro K5000 + Tesla K20 = 10GB total GPU power! MAXIMUS TECHNOLOGY

Both require PCI Gen 3 slots and to do that requires dual xeon processors on a big workstation motherboard.

I have to ask about the RAM specs, but usually it is workstation/business class RAM with ECC of course and of a high frequency and timing, but I really don't know to tell you the truth. I let the pros pick out the proper RAM for the build. I will ask.

Y

Yellowstone

Reaction score
Great computer.

What happens as you increase memory to the maximum(other than the Bitcoin outflow)?

Any advantage for the scanner?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
nice, but your motherboard does not properly match your Graphics Card Jason.

I would have gone with a board that has PCIx gen 3.0 slot because your graphics card was made for that, and not the 2.0 slot that you have bought.

It just puts a limit on your GPU and you don't get the full performance out of your investment.

Benchmarking the Benefits of PCI-E 3.0

One of the points about the Southern Islands products that are bound to come up in countless marketing documents is their use of the new PCI-E 3.0 specification. Much like the switch between PCI-E 1.1 to 2.0, this certification incorporates several new features that could prove to be hugely beneficial to graphics card manufacturers. First and foremost among the improvements is a brand new encoding scheme that helps it effectively double the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 to 8 GT/s.

While current generation single and dual GPU cards still fit well within the bandwidth limitations of PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots, Tahiti’s creators will be trumpeting PCI-E 3.0 to anyone within earshot. However, does it really make a difference in gaming scenarios? More importantly, will upgrading to a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard allow the HD 7970 to pull further ahead of the competition? To find out, we used an ASUS P9X79 motherboard (which allows users to switch between Gen 2 and Gen 3 PCI-E functionality in its BIOS) along with our usual stable of games and benchmarks. To ensure outside factors didn’t play into the equation, the highest resolution and image quality settings were used in every game.

Starting things off was 3DMark 11 and the differences between a Gen2 and Gen3 interface was effectively nil. From the perspective of 3DMark, it really doesn’t seem to care whether the HD 7970 runs on a higher bandwidth interface or not.

The results couldn’t be any clearer: the HD 7970 doesn’t benefit in any way from a PCI-E 3.0 link to the CPU. Granted, there were a few small increases (and decreases) here and there but these are a result of averaging out the results from multiple manual benchmark runs and fall well within our margin of error. So to the relief of gamers and reviewers alike (hey, we still love our X58 test systems!),a next generation PCI-E interface isn’t needed to get the most out of the Tahiti XT core.

However there are a few caveats that should be mentioned. Even though a single HD 7970 may not saturate a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot, things could change drastically once two of these cards are installed into a Z68 motherboard which uses a dual 8x setup for Crossfire and SLI. Things will likely get even more complicated when AMD’s new dual GPU product is released in the first half of 2012. We’ll likely revisit this topic throughout 2012 but for the time being, rest assured knowing that AMD’s HD 7970 is in no way limited by current PCI-E certifications.

R

Rune

Reaction score
Awesome rigs :)
But... i was quite certain exo had to have nvidia gpu?
I've been running ati in my gaming rigs for years, but when i built a new design rig in november, i went with nvidia gpu :-(
I'll bring my 7970 to work, and test it.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
It will work fine. But exocad recommends nVidia for maximum preformance. Don't ask me why. ??

This is the RAM I bought.... HMT351R7CFR8C-PB - HYNIX 4GB 2RX8 PC3-12800R REGISTERED ECC DDR3-1600 MEMORY MODULE

Nothing special I guess, but the speed of which it can be accessed is rediculous.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
nice pc. Love the enclosed innards, should be some help against the dust.

Cant imagine why you were/are? offering a water cooled PC for a workhorse/lab environment scott??

ive pimmped me home pc to the nines with water cooling, UV's etc, but water cooling does NOT belong in a mission critical pc in a lab.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
There are no filters, and air goes right into and out of all PCs. Same/Same. (Along with airborne particles)

Does not matter if it is air or water...you always have to keep you heat-exchangers clean weather they be a radiator with liquid, or just an aluminum sink.

I see no difference. The Liquid cooling is much quieter and is fine in a lab. The radiators do not get packed up any faster than an air-cooled processor.

Both are equally at risk of dust, unless you add a tampon filter in the intake vents of your PC.

So, I disagree and do not see your point at all. If anything, the radiators for my liquid cooled PCs do not get as packed with dust as air-cooled. The holes are much larger and smoother, so as not to hold the hairs and dust.

Last edited:
Top Bottom