New Haas Metal-Mill today?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We did a test fit for the Trunnion brace to table this morning.

Needs a little trimming, and tapping...then off to get Black Oxide treatment.

Then we bolt on the trunnion for good and calibrate it's position into mill.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0963.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_Untitled_3.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0963.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_Untitled_3.jpg

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Dang Scott, wouldn't it have been easier to just buy one already set up, plug and play? I realize this is your hobby too, but man, seems like a time sink.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I'm having fun. It's great!

Trunnion bracket is finished....now it comes off again and goes to get treated for Black Oxide layer.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0967.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0966.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0967.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0966.jpg

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I am glad your having fun!

Only way I can see this being productive is when you get all of these issues set up and perfected to be able to offer turn key systems that is indeed plug and play for substantially less than what is out there now. Only problem is I would bet there are others looking to do the same thing right???

The more I look into milling my own Ti abutments and bars it seems like it has many many hurdles that even with my volume it just doesn't make sense. Then there are all the FDA issues and legal crap that I wish I didn't have to worry about but I do.

Its fun watching you though.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I am learning how to do things with a mill, in general.

What if I wanted to set-up a mill to make ?xyz? parts out of ?xyz? material. How could/would I do it without buying another mill?

It's this exact thing I am doing now that I am after.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hi Scott ,

Can you recomend any tools for metal milling ? In a previous post you said that if you look outside of dental industry you can find cheaper tools . Unfortunatelly here in Greece there are not that many options to choose from . Thanks .

P.S. The mill looks great !!!

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
The more I look into milling my own Ti abutments and bars it seems like it has many many hurdles that even with my volume it just doesn't make sense. Then there are all the FDA issues and legal crap that I wish I didn't have to worry about but I do.

John, I was approached by a decent sized implant company about opening a West Coast milling center for their bar and abutment solutions and after doing a very in depth analysis, we just felt it wasn't worth the hassle even if they were going to hand feed me the referrals.

Stepping up to that level is a whole new ball game in terms of regulatory affairs and the liability side in the event something fails, even if it's not your fault. Nobelbiocare, Atlantis (Astra) ID (Niznick-yikes) Zimmer, 3i...these people have sizable resources and they will litigate my little lab right out of business if they perceive me as taking money, or wrecking their waranty program with my titanium.

I expect a britzkrieg of FDA inspectors up my behind in a second once the implant related parts start milling.

Better left to someone a little more cavalier. There are lots of other work out there for me if I try hard enough.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I am glad your having fun!

Only way I can see this being productive is when you get all of these issues set up and perfected to be able to offer turn key systems that is indeed plug and play for substantially less than what is out there now. Only problem is I would bet there are others looking to do the same thing right???

Its fun watching you though.

So, where are all the turn-key Metal milling systems? Nobody tackled the Haas yet. I think i am the first to work it out for the US market.

Daytron - cooling system stinks and is only a mist system....also very expensive.
B&D - bad solution for metal. period. Weak spindle.
DMG, Roders, Micron, all too expensive for me. $500k+
KaVo - no tool changer and limited application. Weak spindle.
Haas = perfect for US economy.

Metal is tricky to make profit. You can't label Titamium or Cr-Co "Lava brand" or "Glidewell's secret formula". So, there will be little profit from name brand selling and general raping of customers due to marketing hype up. This is from persepctive of manufacture. Not from the eyes of a lab.

Now, a lab would indeed benefit from such a system I think. So, yes....I am chasing a very minimal profit by selling a mill that is open and no name brand material associated with it. Maybe this will work?

There is only a chance for small profit on the initial purchase and training, and any future service or modifications.
Not much to work with I guess? It's enough to pay for the project and to make me want to do it. (obviously)

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
So, where are all the turn-key Metal milling systems? Nobody tackled the Haas yet. I think i am the first to work it out for the US market.

Glidewell will sell you one, with software and fixtures ready to go.
>

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
All that work for nothing..

No, Scott loves this stuff, but I have no patience for it. As I said in another post, my R&D costs far exceeded the benefits of doing it. It's fun but not cost effective for MY lab. It makes you appreciate how much work something like this is...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Trunnion mounting bracket is complete. Again, with the Black Oxide coated Steel. Grade 8 hardware used only.

Time for final assembly and calibration of physical layout. I will let all parts sit for 24hrs in 68 degree room to settle into shape.

Then we dive into the software. I enjoy doing things myself when possible. The outcome pleases me more so sometimes.
I ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0970.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0969.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0970.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0969.jpg

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Any new ideas on dust control and extraction?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
This is going to be better than Glidewells OM2-a I think Mark? and cheaper to boot!

And, it's all mine! Don't need their help this time.

Have not looked seriously at using mill dry. Just no time yet.

Not even one second really.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I guess a dome shaped suction-cage below the disk fixture would be the trick. But still, the dust gets everywhere!

The mill does "bleed" Red oil from all joints in it's body. It always pushes out the dirt, but Zirconia is nasty stuff!

Needs more thought.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The mill is tight!

Trunnion is square within 2um. I triple checked it!

Still more measuring to come....

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0972.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0971.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0972.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0971.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Dialed in One Rotary axis to make table perpendicular to the spindle.....

Measures perfect using 1/1000" meter going top to bottom of rotary face.

This is software parameter for 0 degree for that axis in the mill. Trunnion assembly is super tight onto the table. No way it is moving.

BEEFY support structure that we made today. The top surface of the outrigger-arms of brace are just below the table height (Couple thousandths). This is so that surface will not alter the table flatness? The Trunnion base will basically only touch the table, and have the smallest in the world air-gap below it and the brace.

One Shield of trunnion was removed, and the other was heavily modified to allow different exit of wires and hose. Another lower guard was removed as well to expose the wires and hose to re-route differently. And finally, the B-axis motor was re-clocked onto the A-Axis by 60 degrees. Tada!

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0974.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0975.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0973.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0974.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0975.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0973.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I think I have the "Angle of the Dangle" going on. We are looking at around 33 degrees rotation in either direction from center.

Meaning, Any Two Implants can be maximum of 66 degrees divergent from each other.

This is approx. the limits of the Haas I am building. (I figure out now) My workspace is around 130x110mm with maybe a maximum of 45mm Z-thickness of material? Maybe more? Could be a whole lot more if 4th/5th axis angulation is kept at minimum. Minimum material thickness is 7-7.5mm Z-thickness. Square, Rectangular, or Disks up to 110mm x 110mm. With, or without a notch on side. Not a problem.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0976.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0977.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0976.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0977.jpg

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
do have a boy? if so his pinewood derby car better kick arse!

Top Bottom