New Haas Metal-Mill today?

ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
That system seems to be a war of attrition... I would have tapped out by now ;) T

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
This is one of the best threads on here. Thanks for sharing mate.

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
you have done your homework, my questions are what does the rotary have for scale, encoders. The dance the mill does for homeing is because it has to trip physical swithes to reset and is the reason you can't change the homeing dance.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That was what the Haas people told me....

BUT, I did change the homing positions anyway! LOL (Don't like to hear the words "Can't do it")
Haas people freaked out, then next day were impressed and we continued....

Yeah, I have been trained to fix other machines. I knew what I was doing when I took apart the Trunnion. Very familar with Polorized strips, and opto-sensors, and hall-effect, and various encoders and such. I was hoping I could write a custom homing dance. Home Z- , GOTO ?? Z , HOME X and Y, after home then return to ?,? coordinates, then home A or B, etc.....

But I cannot edit the order of homing, or any positions inbetween. Bummer....

This mill's rotary has a very new "Sigma 5" (whatever that is) style of motors/encoders made by Haas. New stuff for 2011/12 I believe with improved movements and resolution.

My dealer has never seen them before, and as a matter of fact we are still contacting Haas to get more info on the exact parameters of the Rotarys.

Today, we did a Seven Hour Spindle break-in, while we measured temps the entire time. Soooooo boring! Gheeez.

Nothing to report, other than a wasted day. :confused:

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0980.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0980.jpg

Last edited:
Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
Hi Scott.
You are going great and the fixture seems safe from all angles. You have sufficient length to avoid the bolt or other collisions. I liked the other fixture which could hold plates. Should save on the cost of your blocks. Titanium plates shall be available at on third the price of the discs.
You can get some titanium from here Titanium Industries - stocks and distributes Titanium mill products globally

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, makes me feel better.

This is scary to start such a project, without me having machining background or CNC training.
It is a dream I had years ago. Just never had what it took to even piece it together, until recently?
It will be good, and my next build will be even better, etc...

www.supraalloys.com is where I am trying first. I am using Two different grades for different applications.

I will check the the link you provided as well. Thanks!

Scott

Last edited:
greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
So, where are all the turn-key Metal milling systems? Nobody tackled the Haas yet. I think i am the first to work it out for the US market.

Daytron - cooling system stinks and is only a mist system....also very expensive.

Hi Scott, I don't intend to derail your thread but I've seen you mention the cooling system on the Datron D5 a few times on the forum now. Does your impression of the oil lubrication mist come only from the single instance in which the user disregarded extremely clear instructions to clean the machine between all wet and dry milling cycles? Because this is the only problem I was ever aware of between the 70 or so machines producing 1000s and 1000s of hours worth of Ti parts right now.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I am using high volume water (approx 90%) with a special Vasco 3000 lube, made for cutting Medical Titanium and Aerospace parts.

It is the most common set-up I think. Real oil makes metal too slippery and is not a good cutting lube. At some point, we want the tool to not slip and begin to cut. We are also washing away heat at the edge of tool. That's the enemy, no?

The stuff I am using is a Vegetable based, micro-emulsion/water mix made by Blaser Swisslube.

I am friends with owners of your mills. I know what they do and don't do.

Don't know what else to tell ya. I think a misting system would limit feed and cutting in gerenal.

It is not the ideal way to cut metal at high RPMs and feeds. We can race one day if you like? Same files from same material.

You make strategy and choose your weapons (tools),and I do the same....The winner would be based on cost to produce (ruined tools) and time to complete?

At this point, I am keeping the Haas a wet-only mill. Mill Zirconia on something else for now.

Trying to get the best of both worlds is hard in a machine.

Scott

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Getting closer to making the mill move!

Employee from CIMSystem is drawing my machine fixture in CAD right now to program into SUM3d Software.....

We need to set-up tools and probing system today and tommorow.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0981.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0981.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Enough d1cking around....tommorow, we mill.

All Simulations test OK. I will post videos of mill in action. It is very fast!

Very accurate! We do simulated milling with no material in holder so far.

All is perfect so far.... 5-axis simulation is good. The tool Length test Macro sub-programs I made are good and updates a new "tool-group" offset for that tool being used in the spindle that we have pre-defined. We have many tools as "members" of a tool-group. (back-up tooling) We can add milling time or milling length as limit of tool life.....then CNC Controler looks for next tool in that tool-group when current tool in use expires. The function seems to work perfectly. This is getting very Pro-level! CNC Controler can be set to STOP, or re-mill if broken tool is detected. I have range set at +/- 0.1mm from beginning measurement.

This set-up was kinda tricky, but works perfectly now!

I cannot decide if I want the mill to try again, or STOP and wait for operator assistance?

I choose STOP for now, and maybe change only the tiny tools?

Again, I LOVE the Renishaw equipment. It is a life saver!

I will work on the program to speed-up the cycle of tool testing. For now, it is about 20seconds (sloooow) and safe. The actual tool change is about 1.8seconds and Rapid movements are at blurry Sonic speeds. I want tool test to be done with in 5 seconds.

I will edit the program next week, after much testing.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1003.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1003.jpg

Last edited:
Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
At last Scott , I can't wait to see this baby of yours in action !!! I bet it will be a killer !! What brand of metal are you gonna use ?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Just to test position if I would hit my fixture, and also testing a Two-stage Roughing strategy of mine....

To be used on any material...

It seems the "Virtual-Machine" simulation is very close to real life, as far as position of tooth in fixture.

I will try to get right to the edge tonight to test for sure! We already tested the Two ends of arms...

Still being a wussy, and have not really cut Titanium or Cr-Co yet.....Tommorow? I'm scared. Need to test everything!

Running out of things to test? LOL

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
(BEEP!)

Tool Probe.....

I am making a guard and flip-top lid to keep chips away.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1016.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1016.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have a new friend in Aussy that has one of these.

Not for dental, but it is 5-axis.

I met him on machinists forum.

Another dude in TX, but I didn;t call him back yet.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Scott, why did you choose this mill over the DT1? Just curious.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
"Drill &Tap" model huh? (DT-1)

Well, it is bigger...and I do not need it bigger.

It is limited to only 12,000RPMs...I need at least 30k.

Spindle is 3x stronger than I'll ever need in Dental. (15HP!)

My OM2-a also has "Tapping" built into the controler.

I needed the mill to roll and fit into regular doorway. Not an aircraft hanger bay door.

My mill runs on regular 220V Single Phase....DT-1 requires Industrial size power lines in 3-phase, no?

I have 8' ceiling. DT-1 will hit the ceiling, and never go pass a doorway.

We are moving soon. I still think I would not get the DT-1 Haas. It seems silly for the Dental world IMO.

The Office Mill is the One Mark.

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
I would question, Why not a already researched Dental Mill. Why reinvent the Wheel? I know Scott would do better than the other Mills, but so much precious time is gone by then.

Top Bottom