need dry air for mill

E

Ethan Thompson

Reaction score
This is my setup

Do you use this setup to supply the whole lab or is this just for your mill? If the whole lab, what all are you supplying, how many people?
Thanks!

K

KIM

Reaction score
Brett, Good to see you on here!

I have been doing this from the get go. Last month, however, it got to the point where I was doing this a couple times a week. If we were milling 40 units a day, I might not think this so bad, but we don't, I might do 15-20 units a day. That might get bumped up when e.Max work load is heavy, as we mill wax patterns in addition to the zirconia.
Username made a pretty good point above, that if I don't get this moisture issue buttoned up, I'll continue having problems like this.
We have sold MANY of the VHF K4 mills (That's what your Mini is) so we know them very well. Even once you resolve your air issue, it is possible that you will continue to have touch point issues because the damage caused to the spindle is irreversible. Not saying that will be the case for sure but we have seen a number of situations where there was damage caused to the spindle by blowing moisture (Water, oil, contaminants, etc) through the spindle.....Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that we can help you with. Not sure if you heard, but it sounds like Wieland will not be selling this mill any more as they have their own line of mills now (IDS announcement).

E

Ethan Thompson

Reaction score
We have sold MANY of the VHF K4 mills (That's what your Mini is) so we know them very well. Even once you resolve your air issue, it is possible that you will continue to have touch point issues because the damage caused to the spindle is irreversible. Not saying that will be the case for sure but we have seen a number of situations where there was damage caused to the spindle by blowing moisture (Water, oil, contaminants, etc) through the spindle.....Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that we can help you with. Not sure if you heard, but it sounds like Wieland will not be selling this mill any more as they have their own line of mills now (IDS announcement).

I didn't know that they were going to discontinue this, that is quite unfortunate. I've been told by one of the hardware tech guys at weiland that our spindle could actually be the issue, I'm taking the machine apart tomorrow and checking the spindle to confirm for sure if it is, indeed, a bad part. I am only vaguely aware that the VHF and Mini are the same machine, while looking up how to fix the issues I've been having, I did see where VHF had made a mechanical though plate that remedied the conductivity issue. Why Weiland hasn't addressed this issue, I can only assume, is because they like the fact that I'm forced to buy my burs from them, of course now hearing that they are discontinuing these mills could be another reason.

I know that the mechanical touch plate can be added aftermarket to the VHF, do you know if this is true for the Mini as well?

doug

doug

Reaction score
Do you use this setup to supply the whole lab or is this just for your mill? If the whole lab, what all are you supplying, how many people?
Thanks!
I got this setup to use for the mill ( we now have 2 VHF mills). I added a couple of extra drops for the Alo2 blaster and the Excavator. I could probably run the entire lab off of it since the tank is a pretty good size and the pump ramps up quickly. I have a smaller compressor for the rest of the lab, but will be adding a refrigerator drying unit to it to make life easier. Much like clean air (HVAC) in the lab, you can never have enough good dry air either.

K

KIM

Reaction score
I didn't know that they were going to discontinue this, that is quite unfortunate. I've been told by one of the hardware tech guys at weiland that our spindle could actually be the issue, I'm taking the machine apart tomorrow and checking the spindle to confirm for sure if it is, indeed, a bad part. I am only vaguely aware that the VHF and Mini are the same machine, while looking up how to fix the issues I've been having, I did see where VHF had made a mechanical though plate that remedied the conductivity issue. Why Weiland hasn't addressed this issue, I can only assume, is because they like the fact that I'm forced to buy my burs from them, of course now hearing that they are discontinuing these mills could be another reason.

I know that the mechanical touch plate can be added aftermarket to the VHF, do you know if this is true for the Mini as well?
The haptic touch point (Mechanical) cannot be added to the original VHF K4's, FYI. Also, this mill will not be discontinued by VHF, it's a great mill all around. We prefer to sell the new 5 axis K5 but still sell the K4 if someone really wants it.

E

Ethan Thompson

Reaction score
To everyone that has given their advice, again thank you. It appears however, that we had a bad spindle. After many sessions on the phone with tech support, both the IT guys and the hardware folks, they have decided to have us send it back in for repair. Also, thanks to some helpful advice from a guy out at Brehob, we are going to feed both air tanks into the air dryer that we already had for the Lab air. With any luck we won't need to add anything else to the air system and it should be smooth sailing (knock on wood) from here on out.