For all the mill owners - Was it worth it ?

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
My age ?, well, I used to swedge gold crowns! Now. go figure šŸ˜Š

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. Two more questions
How much time is spent nesting and changing pucks etc as opposed to just outsourcing the design's
Any mills to recommend? Or stay away from?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
To open a disc in the CAM, import and nest the file, for the calculations to complete to be sent to the mill on a single molar 2:15. If I had had to change the orientation more than the "proposal" for it being a gradient disc, may have added another minute. Programill cam is very efficient, especially the calculations. Millbox, from at least 2 years ago, was atrociously slow. I have a single disc holder, clamp style, put the disc in, clamp it down, and away I go. No screws.

I only outsource implant abutments, so I'm not sure of the comparison on my end.

Then my question back is, how much of your time is it worth to know it's been nested correctly, especially bridges when using a gradient like Prime in it's gradient strength zones. How much is that peace of mind worth?

As far as mills, re-read LabGuys post on page 1, and look in the equipment thread and the CAM threads as well for mill suggestions.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
These days age is just a number and my number will be 64 on Saturday.
You're so good at wishing members here HAppy BiRthday, I hope I don't forget to do the same for you, or one of the other members here on Sat :)

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Now back to the OP's thread!

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. Two more questions
How much time is spent nesting and changing pucks etc as opposed to just outsourcing the design's
Any mills to recommend? Or stay away from?
For me a mill with an automatic puck changer is very useful.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I wish our respected sister Doris a happy birthday in advance with health and happiness

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You outsource 120 units a month? o_O

Do you need a new milling center? Im sure youve bought and paid for at least one of your current outsource labs mills, and I could use a new one!

ROI on a mill is one thing, but so is making a profit! How much return have you gotten by spending $4000 a month? Do you get ownership of your milling center? Depreciating assets are a beautiful thing. Sec 179 even better!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Auto puck changer is a MUST!!! Rolands DCI has six, ivoclars PM7 is eight, vhf is eight, aidite is twelve, axysys has a twenty disc changer. Really nice to load up and walk out every evening, come in the morning and your crowns are ready for sintering. We find doing large cases usually take a long time milling therefore we usually run the big cases overnight and mac's n cheese work during the day...that way mills are running all the time.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I got into doing it all in-house about 9 years ago, Everyone here knows how to nest the units, put the pucks into the mill, cut them out and get then into the sintering oven, Two of us are home sick today and we didn't miss a beats.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
You outsource 120 units a month? o_O

Do you need a new milling center? Im sure youve bought and paid for at least one of your current outsource labs mills, and I could use a new one!

ROI on a mill is one thing, but so is making a profit! How much return have you gotten by spending $4000 a month? Do you get ownership of your milling center? Depreciating assets are a beautiful thing. Sec 179 even better!
You arenā€™t wrong! for me it was always ā€œIā€™d rather have the time than the moneyā€ kind of situation - I have to admit itā€™s nice to upload to Argen and forget about it. The lab has always made a very good living for me and I try not to get too stuck on profits.
Iā€™m going to mull it over awhile longer, and in the meantime I can try and figure out how to rearrange the lab to fit all the new equipment ! Iā€™m already cramped