Facepalm cases

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Agree, and no intra-oral digital scanner would make them a better dentist. A good impression is only part of a successful restoration. No one is looking to play a blame game. It's cooperation you look for. But you can only be responsible for your work and in order to guarantee a minimum standard you need good foundations. If you can't see a margin you just can't, you have to inform the clinician , ask for a new impression and if the answer is "no, patient doesn't like impressions" or whatever bullish.... just inform that you only guarantee that your work fits the model and bite provided. This is not a blame game, it's called being professional . Of course you can offer to help and find ways of solving those problems. If he or she can't understand what you are trying to do ( creating a healthy and profitable relationship) just kiss them goodby. It is always worth a try, give everyone a chance ( or two).
Remakes can kill your business.

An intra oral scan can determine missing data such as missing margins and undercuts. The scan can be accepted or rejected in real time by the click of the mouse rather than involving a courier pickup and model pour and a day after phone call.

With my business model , the lab trains the dr to scan so that the digital process functions smoothly. This takes time and for those that don't get it ,they don't get it.

As 2th has said repeatedly , good tissue management is key to any successful impression. We find that it is far easier to enforce that through a digital scan than to attempt to teach anyone how to take an impression.

We use the scanner as a communication tool to address and solve the problems we have all encountered for most of our careers.

Give me your tired, your remakes,
Your huddled dentists yearning to impress free;
The wretched refuse of your steaming model pour,
Send these, the marginless,
Bubbled distorted-tossed to me
I lift my Trios beside the golden orafice door!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
An intra oral scan can determine missing data such as missing margins and undercuts. The scan can be accepted or rejected in real time by the click of the mouse rather than involving a courier pickup and model pour and a day after phone call.

With my business model , the lab trains the dr to scan so that the digital process functions smoothly. This takes time and for those that don't get it ,they don't get it.

As 2th has said repeatedly , good tissue management is key to any successful impression. We find that it is far easier to enforce that through a digital scan than to attempt to teach anyone how to take an impression.

We use the scanner as a communication tool to address and solve the problems we have all encountered for most of our careers.

Give me your tired, your remakes,
Your huddled dentists yearning to impress free;
The wretched refuse of your steaming model pour,
Send these, the marginless,
Bubbled distorted-tossed to me
I lift my Trios beside the golden orafice door!

Traditional impression taking has been around for a hundred years along with all the techniques of fabrication that go along with it.
We are in a transitional period similar to those who were in the industry at the turn of the 20th century. We are finding that older clinicians
who are progressive thinkers see this technology as just another tool while the conservative types who fight change of any kind just don't get it.
The younger generation of clinicians who have had computers in their lives all along get it and get it quick. A certain university in my state has recently
purchased several IO scanners and chairside milling units. This is the technology these doctors will know and embrace right out of school. Resist as you may,
but change is coming. It won't happen over night, traditional methods will be used along side digital probably for many years to come. (Still hope for you cutthroat labs)

I'll add a quote from Max Planck:

A new scientific truth does not, generally speaking, succeed because opponents are convinced or declare themselves educated, however because they die and the new generations
from the beginning learn about it as the truth.

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
robodenteck and robodendoc will solve all your problems guys just wait for them.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That's a great quote 2th.

I still don't understand what a robot has to do with digital impressions.Hmmmm2

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This is a dental robot
dental-robot.jpg

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
no my invention is totally different the robodendoc has 14 hands.

G

GypsyDoc

Reaction score
Wow CreDes, more info on this one please!

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
Wow CreDes, more info on this one please!

The surgeon placed two implants angled toward each other and angled toward the buccal. The patient needed grafting obviously. Custom impression copings had to be made just to take the impression. My solution was to make one unit out of the two implants with a PFG prep and gingiva. I baked dSign on the framework, roughened the porcelain on my prep, etched it, then made an emax crown to cover up the mess.

G

GypsyDoc

Reaction score
Being a rookie, not that everything is about money..., but is this work being billed as 1 unit or 2?
Given that this is a compromise in a lot of ways, did the restoring doc request this solution?
Also, hypothetically, if the posterior implant fails how would the abutment access hole be closed if the patient wanted to retain the original restoration (i would bet anterior implant failure would mean the end of the whole situation)?
Thank you!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Cool case. What is the tissue? D.sign? Is the purplish black on purpose or just the picture?

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
It was
Being a rookie, not that everything is about money..., but is this work being billed as 1 unit or 2?
Given that this is a compromise in a lot of ways, did the restoring doc request this solution?
Also, hypothetically, if the posterior implant fails how would the abutment access hole be closed if the patient wanted to retain the original restoration (i would bet anterior implant failure would mean the end of the whole situation)?
Thank you!

It was billed as 2 custom abutments and one crown. I had to use 2 UCLA's. If one fails it would ruin the case, but they will help each other being joined together. Single units would be near impossible on this case.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
Cool case. What is the tissue? D.sign? Is the purplish black on purpose or just the picture?

Thanks. It is dsign tissue. This doc likes some purple and different shades in his tissue. It's emax stain.

Top Bottom