Zirconia Implants....Why?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
What's the point of an all zirconia implant?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Reading this, titanium is a superior material for implants. So my question still stands

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
read closer then, because the article cited showes them to be mostly equal.

one material has a clearly simple/easier/cheaper processing method, leading to far cheaper implant production and once passed, will lead to in house production of custom implant bodies or single piece implantation in the future thanks to its ease of manufacture.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
What's the point of an all zirconia implant?
I have restored a couple. Ti implants are much simpler to restore. But since some brand offer a screw retained option, vs one piece implant/abutment, it got a bit easier. The main selling point, at least for now, is the Holistic approach and non metal option. There are plenty of people out there needing implants but don't want metal screws in their head...

Will it outsell Ti implants at one point? I doubt it.

For more info:

doug

doug

Reaction score
We have an account that places zirconia implants. I'm not a fan. Maybe if there was an actual margin prepped it would be nicer.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
We have an account that places zirconia implants. I'm not a fan. Maybe if there was an actual margin prepped it would be nicer.
Picky picky!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I have restored a couple. Ti implants are much simpler to restore. But since some brand offer a screw retained option, vs one piece implant/abutment, it got a bit easier. The main selling point, at least for now, is the Holistic approach and non metal option. There are plenty of people out there needing implants but don't want metal screws in their head...

Will it outsell Ti implants at one point? I doubt it.

For more info:
Actually Ti and it's oxide formation is not considered to be metal rather "Self" This is why it was so easily adopted into implant dentistry. Biomedical inert and accepted. Tons of studies support this if you have a Pt upset about metals in their mouth. Starts with 1st Branemark studies., Hope this helps 🙂

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, are you putting All-zirconia abutments on those zirconia implants? If you are, I just want to commend you for putting your pants on everyday. You have bigger balls than me!!!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I have to ask, are you putting All-zirconia abutments on those zirconia implants? If you are, I just want to commend you for putting your pants on everyday. You have bigger balls than me!!!
I remember a case of a colleague of mine about 10 years ago. Dr. was torquing down a full arch implant bridge. He was there to hear " Click, Click, Click. 3 fractured IMPLANTS and Bridge abutment . All his blood was in his legs. Just sayin.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I remember a case of a colleague of mine about 10 years ago. Dr. was torquing down a full arch implant bridge. He was there to hear " Click, Click, Click. 3 fractured IMPLANTS and Bridge abutment . All his blood was in his legs. Just sayin.
Under compresive forces Zr is unmatched, tensile less so and remember, this its NOT metal. With some of it's most desirable attributes, Zr Can "Snap" where metals will yield given certain forces. Torquing down a bridge is such an example. Something is off in fit and Purely Tensile Forces are in play.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Actually Ti and it's oxide formation is not considered to be metal rather "Self" This is why it was so easily adopted into implant dentistry. Biomedical inert and accepted. Tons of studies support this if you have a Pt upset about metals in their mouth. Starts with 1st Branemark studies., Hope this helps 🙂
Oh, its not me, but tell that to somebody with 'really strong' believes...

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
The first couple were one piece, One of them with a very unfortunate angulation and almost impossible to restore. I think it got placed somewhere in Europe... The last one was a two pieces, with a Zr abutment and an oversized 'plastic' screw (to be honest, I am not sure what material). It's been a while, now, and I haven't heard back. Many of the bigger brands offer Zr implants now.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Now that would be terrifying!

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
FYI:

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
While this is off topic a little, any suggetions how to remove Zr abutment connection from sub gingival implant as it broke under the screw?? I had a client ask and thought some here may have a solution? Thanks In advance!
I guess this would be a reason not to use Zr implants???

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
While this is off topic a little, any suggetions how to remove Zr abutment connection from sub gingival implant as it broke under the screw?? I had a client ask and thought some here may have a solution? Thanks In advance!
I guess this would be a reason not to use Zr implants???
This isn't a great solution, but it will work as long as the doc has calm hands. If they use a long diamond cutter, they can insert that into the middle of the broken piece of the abutment and start grinding into the fractured piece. It is just being held in by friction so the vibration should dislodge it before they cut all the way through it. Just need to be careful not to hit the threads or the side wall of the implant.