Full Zr implants\Straumann pure

• Thread starter David Kamarauli
  • Start date
D

David Kamarauli

Reaction score
Guys, please tell me what you have heard about all-ceramic (ZR) implants (for example, straumann pure).
I have two questions that interest me:
1. If the implant is made of zirconium, what should be the connection with it? Zirconium with titanium?
2. How can I make abutments if Straumann Pure scanbody was used? Because I didn't find Ti base in their catalogue
Screenshot-2023-11-07-145329.png

J

J Pierce

Reaction score
Think its a zirc stock abutment you prep, similar to Nobels Pearl implant.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Honourable mentions go to true root analog implants, where the implant is custom-milled from zirconia to match the original root anatomy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_analogue_dental_implant
2560px-Root_analogue_ceramic_dental_implant_vs_titanium_screw_type_implant.jpg
The one on the left, alongside a conventional Ti implant.
In principle, you can just extract the original tooth and then pop the implant in there immediately after, it's far less traumatic/invasive than conventional implants. Not many complications are possible if the RAI is designed correctly to not apply pressure to areas of thin bone, comparable success rates to conventional implants, and if the implant doesn't take you just pop it out and are back to the original socket. And it frees labs from the tyranny of the implant manufacturers to boot.
It's an emerging/experimental technique and is not yet commercially available, but I'd be amazed if it doesn't get regulatory approval in some form sooner or later, now that it's practical to manufacture a bespoke implant within hours (or ahead of time!) of the extraction being performed.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
These all zirconia implants look like a nightmare. We have one local doc placing them. His GP's are not happy. They have to modify the zirconia "abutment" in the mouth. We all know the vast differences in the abilities of our doctor's are. Some will do a great job and others????

I assume the theory behind these implants is how great polished zirconia is under the tissue. However, these implants seem extremely technique sensitive and aren't really solving a problem. If the Ti implant is placed at the proper depth, then I can design a Ti abutment that is about 2-3 mm sub gingival with a zirconia screw retained crown. We remove the glaze on the zirc sub G to get the great benefits of the polished zirconia/gingiva interface.

I am sure there are people far smarter than me that can explain why we need this implant. To me, it seems like it is going to create far more problems that it will solve...and what was it solving anyhow?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
“Game changer”

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
some well-accredited lowest-in-his-class dds will install that zir guy upside down, hammer it in and wonder why it was so hard to do, leave a bad review on the company site, and contribute to the failure rate.

1699392468638.png

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Where is Disturbed?...If he seen this he would have a nuclear meltdown.
As for me, not my cup of tea at all...I've been burned by so many Atlantis Zirconia Abutments back in the day I won't go near it, and now the knuckleheads want to make the actual implant out of zirconium. Come on Man, use your brain, this isn't going to end well.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
they have been around for 20+ years, sky implants from bredent were some of the earliest they integrate very well but having to prep them is hard for the dentist i think they will be more custom made as we go along . they look great when all is done well but i worry about the screw retained ones you really cant rethread them etc. for single ants i would consider one for myself . And yes thelabguy disturbed would be having a heart attak right now and saying we should make them out of emax. heheheh

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Guys, please tell me what you have heard about all-ceramic (ZR) implants (for example, straumann pure).
I have two questions that interest me:
1. If the implant is made of zirconium, what should be the connection with it? Zirconium with titanium?
2. How can I make abutments if Straumann Pure scanbody was used? Because I didn't find Ti base in their catalogue
Screenshot-2023-11-07-145329.png
Just wait for multiple units on a bridge being torqued...you can Hear what I'm Banghead :rolleyes:o_O saying

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
1. see the pic attached
2. yes there is a Ti base
Untitled.png
The best part is the zirconia screw.
It is a Ti screw

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Where is Disturbed?...If he seen this he would have a nuclear meltdown.
As for me, not my cup of tea at all...I've been burned by so many Atlantis Zirconia Abutments back in the day I won't go near it, and now the knuckleheads want to make the actual implant out of zirconium. Come on Man, use your brain, this isn't going to end well.
I stopped using zirconia for abutments about 6 years ago or so now. I had a few from Atlantis break and I had a few from Straumann break(one from straumann that broke was done on a molar at the sales reps advice to the doctor!!). Once I figured out that annodized Ti doesnt effect the esthetics of the crown and it won't gray out the tissue, I never went back to Zirc Abutments.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I believe the zircona screw was a little tongue-in-cheek comment by rkm to go along with the rest of this "all zirconia" implant thread ;):)
You are correct sir.
Sometimes you have to spell it out for our friends south of the border.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
You are correct sir.
Sometimes you have to spell it out for our friends south of the border.
Hey! We aren't the ones paying for things with Loonies and Toonies!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Weird you left out the biggest clown of them all

Top Bottom