Wire bending frustration

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Sorry about the long rant. Warning: Very long!
But, I figure it is safe to complain about this here, I bet all the ortho techs here "Get it"

I guess I never realized how anal I was about my wire bending until we started to hire people to help me out in the lab. But geez! I can only compromise so much!
We have interviewed 4 people for the wire bending position and only one has turn out with any promise. Which we promptly hired and flew him down from the east coast. One month later as he was really starting to learn my ways, he has to move back due to family problems.:(

THe first guy we had in hasnt been an ortho tech for 15 years. I knew he would be rusty, but it took him over an hour to bend a hawley with adams clasps. Not only that he didnt even make adams clasps but 4 finger clasps. We didnt call him back.

THe next guy we had in said that he could make 3 retainers from start to finish in an hour. He had 30 + years experience. I was intrigued and thought I could learn something from his experience. I asked him "does that include curing time?" he said he cures his appliances in the pressure pot for 3 minutes and they are done :0 -->at 40 lb of pressure and 220 degrees! WOW. Anyway it didnt take him long to bend wires about 24 minutes ( hawley with adams clasps) but the whole time he was complaining about how big my pliers were! ( I have the usual Great Lakes Pliers:confused:)
a. I wonder what size wire he is using
B. How is he using smaller pliers on the bigger wires?
Anyway when he got done, I looked at his work and thought to my self " Are you done"? The labial bow was uneven, they wernt adapted closely over the embrasures his anchor bends were all over the place ( at least have some kind of tidiness with these at least!) some were pointing one direction some were pointing another, a couple of them would be sticking out of the acrylic if you poured up right then.
If he looked at that and told himself that is done im scared what his retainers looked like!
He was expecting $6000 a month! we didnt call him back.

Maybe Im just too anal

The next guy, used to manage the ortho department in a huge lab here in town. He is working in-office right now, but not as a lab tech. He said he was rusty too( can you get rusty?),just give him some time and he will get better. He does a decent job and so I use him as a back up and he comes in and helps after hours if im there and behind on work.
I think he wants a full time job here. but considering he spent a swift 3 hours bending 6 basic retainers I thought he would work out, but then I spent another 1.5 hours Rebending/replacing some of his wires. ARG! At this rate the $23/hr he wants would kill us until he could knock the rust off.
And would he ever? Wouldnt you think if he was rusty he could still recognize an ill-bent wire? If he was good once, dont you think he would spent more time getting the wire right the first time? or is that what his retainers looked like before he was rusty. THey are so tight! he honestly was scraping off the fronts of the teeth shoving the wire down to get it to fit! I asked him to lighten up, I want the wire passive when they go on. but I guess he was taught differently than I was, because the labial bow will still spring off like a grasshopper if you touch them! He is a great guy, a joy to be around but I dont think he will ever "get it" or had "it"

WHich brings me to my next point. THe new doctors we are picking up around here are dumbfounded by how well our retianers fit. "It just pops right in" "I didnt have to spend 30 mins adjusting it" are just a few of the comments. now, I dont consider myself the best in the world just average, so im thinking " What kind of retainers were you getting?" and Exactly how hard is it to make a retainer that fits." I should feel elated about all the good comments, but I just feel sad for our industry. And sad for the previous lab, were they told by the offices that their retainers weren't fitting?, or were they told and didnt care? or (most sad of all) were they told and didnt know how to fix it?

A couple of stories to prove my point:
1) I was told by one of my new accounts of their old lab that used permeant marker to make the zebra stripes! I didn't believe it until they showed me one that they never delivered to the patient. And sure enough there it was, a pink retainer that they had scribbled zebra stripes on with a Sharpe! Unbelievable! It didn't even look good! they weren't even solid black, imagine using a sharpie to try and black out a window and you get the picture.

I guess im just too anal

2) I did a rush case for another new account where a retainer (from their previous lab) had broken in the patients mouth at the wire on the labial bow where it crossed the occlusion. Thats not the bad part. the assistant told me that my new retainer I made ( I had to make a complete new one, because of where the break was at and I couldn't get the old retainer to fit the model) snapped right in. THe patient looked at her and asked "Is that it?" she said was expecting a 30 min appt. like when she got her last retainer.
Really? It was a hawley with 2 ball clasps.
Again Im not tooting my own horn, but really? it was a hawley with 2 ball clasps? How hard is that? If the offices give you a good impression, how can you mess it up?

I guess i'm just too anal!

Thanks for letting me rant, I feel better now:D

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Okay, now take 10 deeeeppp breathes and say Ommmmmmmmmm

I feel your pain, that is the one reason that I won't expand my business. I myself am very anal, especially when it comes to the work I put out with my name on it!
The stories you told are atrocious, I am not the best but that is just sloppy craftsmanship if you can even call it that.

Take care,trisha

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
The hardest thing I have encountered in the lab is running an efficient and high quality wire bending department. You have to remember that no one will care as much as you do on the appliance quality. That's why you're the boss. We are located right down the street from great lakes and we usually get interviews from those who leave. Sounds great right? Not right , they all have to be retrained so heavily it's almost easier in some cases to start with someone from scratch, which us what we normally do.

If you are going to expand, those who bend your wires have to be great or it's not worth it and then you are constantly babysitting, I mean managing them.

I feel your pain, this is very difficult business to manage internally, but is worth it if you find the right people. Remember you can always train the hard skills but not the soft skills. Hire on soft skills, motivation, attitude, dexterity, hand eye coordination and you'll have yourself a solid tech.

Last edited:
Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I feel your pain brother. It is amazing how some people don't get it. Lloyd Miller (who recently died) told me, "Now is the time to adjust your 'good enough' meter." Successful people are always adjusting this "meter", for the better. When you look at something you've made... is it good enough? Could it be better? Those that know and admit they could do it better than they just did will constantly improve, ie. more passive, better margins, smoother polish, smoother bends, less knicks etc.

Those that say, "It's good enough" and do not see room for improvement... can their a$$e$, cause you can't teach a worthless, lazy, stupid dog anything.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Cade:

Welcome to my world!
We spend tons of money to grow our business only to stumble when we need to hire wire benders. We seem to be able to train all other positions from scratch but wire bending is different. The good news is there are great wire benders out there that started their own labs only to find the hours of kiss ass and mundane book keeping do not agree with them....these are the people you must find.

I feel our business is extremely difficult compared to most other businesses to grow. The only business I know for sure requires more work is the restaurant business.
One thing is almost a given...a good wire bender will want to own his/her own lab.
I have had several leave me to do so and stayed friends, I have others that I feel treated me less than honest and I want nothing to do with them. I do understand people wanting to better their situation and many times in their minds that means owning their own business, even though just because you can bend wire does not mean you can run a business.

When I retire I will write a book that nobody will ever read about the wasted interviews we have given, the abuse we have taken from staff from offices we serve and how I still loved my chosen path with all my heart.

Hang in there Cade...you will do great!

Don

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
hey are you the one that is running a continuous ad looking for techs in texas? every time i come across the ad i feel sorry, i don know how hard it is. thr frustrations of trying to train someone!!! some can't even tell an upper arch from a lower?!? yeah- i feel your pain!
hang in there!

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
You gotta wonder, are there independent benders out there you could send the work to as piece work, ship it out and have it shipped back, loss of all control on the work but without the hr headaches. As long as they're good at what they do

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
hey are you the one that is running a continuous ad looking for techs in texas? every time i come across the ad i feel sorry, i don know how hard it is. thr frustrations of trying to train someone!!! some can't even tell an upper arch from a lower?!? yeah- i feel your pain!
hang in there!

No not us, we took our ads off. But I know what your talking about. Im thinking that that is a "head hunter" Kinda suspicious.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
It looks like I have come to find our what you guys already knew. Train a wire-bender not hire on already "trained"

Get someone enthusiastic, and willing to learn
I have already started a small little training class for a couple of the wifes that want to learn wire bending. If i could find a wire bender like the acrylic guy I trained that would be awesome! In just a little over 3 months, learning from ground zero he has come to duplicate my acrylic work, where even the doctors cant tell a difference between his finishing work and mine! I sometime can tell a difference!
I think I will see what he can do with a pair of pliers and a wire! His wife is one of the wife's Im training for wire-bending.

L

labdude

Reaction score
:first:
Sounds to me like it is a matter of who teaches them.
Don't ya' think??? Way to go Cade.
M.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Those that say, "It's good enough" and do not see room for improvement... can their a$$e$, cause you can't teach a worthless, lazy, stupid dog anything.

I think that sums up my frustrations.
I knew this was the place to rant, with all you like minded people. You guys and gals being attracted to this site and sharing ideas kinda proves my point.

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
3 retainers from start to finish in 1 hour that there should have told you to stay away. I found with working with many people that one person working to fast and cutting corners only makes others work harder and in the long run doesnt really save anytime hence the assistants spending 3 more second vibrating the plaster to prevent bubbles that we later need to fill.

My suggestion for you is to hire someone green with a natural talent advertise for someone wanted with artistic skills. And only teach them ONE part of the process NO start to finish. You'll have less of a chance of them leaving you to become you competition and you can handle there quality control better. And it should be easier to teach them less....