Whites vs. Coloreds

user name

user name

Reaction score
If you are operating a mill, I would assume its more efficient to mill all out of the same blocks...but as an outsourcer, my question is on precolored stock vs. white. Please educate me about the choices.
I would imagine that for the more chroma-rich shades that there would be some advantages to starting with a precolored stock...? My only concern is the end result; not the cost.

BTW, Merry Christmas to you all.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Oh I see what you did here LOL>

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Dang! I was hoping this was another racist thread that would go on and on forever.

By the way, I vote for the coloreds if anyone is keeping track.

user name

user name

Reaction score
:frusty: Seriously?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Why can't we just be.......? :D

[YOUTUBE]TZtiJN6yiik[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i lol'd so hard @thread title.

i operate a mill. for shaded zirconia frameworks and substrates, it really doesnt matter if the block is pre-shaded or if you dip the cores. the end result tends to show through the porcelain in a small way, so getting good shades is really quite easy.

for full contour its another matter. never use pre-shades blocks. never. never. never. never. post-sintering they look TERRIBLE.

i can take a few pics of some of the multi-shaded "sample" full contours (not glazed, only polished) that shading liquid can give you.

takes more time, but the quality is worth it. let me know if youre interested in pics.

Last edited:
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We make our full contour Zir crowns out of Zirlux. We are having trouble getting the shades right. CMC is gonna send me chips from their preshaded Zirlux blocks so we can make our own shade guide here. That way I will pick which block to use instead of giving them the final desired shade and them making the decision at the mill. I am a noob at this full contour Zir stuff, so I would love to know if there is a better way to get a good result as far as shade goes.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
We make our full contour Zir crowns out of Zirlux. We are having trouble getting the shades right. CMC is gonna send me chips from their preshaded Zirlux blocks so we can make our own shade guide here. That way I will pick which block to use instead of giving them the final desired shade and them making the decision at the mill. I am a noob at this full contour Zir stuff, so I would love to know if there is a better way to get a good result as far as shade goes.

Diadem uses the same type of pre shaded material. They will send you each material milled in the shape of #2. It has the corresponding shades that each blank works with out beside it.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
it is probably a good idea to sort whites from coloreds.

by dark colors and light colors, plus keep anything white separate. cold water will sometimes help prevent coloreds from fading...but not always.

you can either do small loads of each, or wait until you have full loads of each...depending on how many you have. also.. ALWAYS wash new items alone the first time. just in case. most articles have directions on them and it is advisable to follow them, not only to prevent color transfer but also to extend the life of the item itself.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
ok, pictures time!!!

these have NO glaze, NO stain, they were painted with ZirkonZahn prettau liquid, in Metoxit high translucency pucks. anteriors all milled from the same design, posterior bridges designed in 3shape on the Left quadrant, Laserdenta on the right quadrant.

aimg638.imageshack.us_img638_3536_img128tb.th.jpg
aimg847.imageshack.us_img847_9224_img127w.th.jpg
aimg847.imageshack.us_img847_9559_img124k.th.jpg
aimg705.imageshack.us_img705_1665_img123qs.th.jpg
aimg337.imageshack.us_img337_1290_img122j.th.jpg
aimg69.imageshack.us_img69_5621_img121k.th.jpg
aimg821.imageshack.us_img821_6602_img121h.th.jpg
aimg94.imageshack.us_img94_7130_img120u.th.jpg
aimg854.imageshack.us_img854_5119_img119gn.th.jpg
aimg638.imageshack.us_img638_3536_img128tb.th.jpg aimg847.imageshack.us_img847_9224_img127w.th.jpg aimg847.imageshack.us_img847_9559_img124k.th.jpg aimg705.imageshack.us_img705_1665_img123qs.th.jpg aimg337.imageshack.us_img337_1290_img122j.th.jpg aimg69.imageshack.us_img69_5621_img121k.th.jpg aimg821.imageshack.us_img821_6602_img121h.th.jpg aimg94.imageshack.us_img94_7130_img120u.th.jpg aimg854.imageshack.us_img854_5119_img119gn.th.jpg

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
it is probably a good idea to sort whites from coloreds.

by dark colors and light colors, plus keep anything white separate. cold water will sometimes help prevent coloreds from fading...but not always.

you can either do small loads of each, or wait until you have full loads of each...depending on how many you have. also.. ALWAYS wash new items alone the first time. just in case. most articles have directions on them and it is advisable to follow them, not only to prevent color transfer but also to extend the life of the item itself.

There's my problem right there. I was wondering why my
bleached shades kept coming out PINK!:doh:

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
glad to be of service mate! :D