Whats the best way to spend $20k toward building CAD/CAM dept

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
The E1 scanner is only $10k which equates to about $200 a month over 5 years. Leasing it makes so much more sense as you don't get locked into one milling center and you also get teh CAD software..

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The E1 scanner is only $10k which equates to about $200 a month over 5 years.
5 years x 12 months x $200 = $12000 ... I think is better just to save up and pay cash, why pay 20% interest ?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
by the way 7.5 in Euro maybe at Christmas for zero

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
by the way 7.5 in Euro maybe at Christmas for zero
I'm not sure what's in the basic CAD package, but for $10k (or 7.5k Euro) and no annual fees it does sound attractive...

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score

Sorry, i don't have the exact cost. Nor is this a 20% rate. That said, if you want to wait 5 years why are we contributing to this thread?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's in the basic CAD package, but for $10k (or 7.5k Euro) and no annual fees it does sound attractive...
did you ever get something for free or low value without these two nice alligator eyes just waiting ???

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
That Argen flyer says "Minimum of 10 Argen Cases/Month". I wonder if it's open to send files to anyone as long as you send Argen the 10 cases a month? Hmmm...

D

Denko

Reaction score
This is a great option, but what stops a doctor from purchasing this and doing just what a lab would do. It's like Argen is turning into a lab now (think GW) instead of a milling center. All the doc would have to do is have his assistants pour up the models and scan them. Then glaze when them when they get cases back...or I would imagine Argen would do that for a small charge.

I asked Argen about getting finished crowns and they don't really want to do it. They prefer to send the case back unfinished so the lab can stain and glaze they way they want it.

D

Denko

Reaction score
If your going to do the Argen thing you may as well save your $200 a month and just ask a local lab to do the same thing for you. I don't know what Argen is charging but if its me I'd just hook up with someone in my area. You are getting the convenience factor through Argen.

I haven't found anybody local as low as the Argen Price.

D

Denko

Reaction score
The E1 scanner is only $10k which equates to about $200 a month over 5 years. Leasing it makes so much more sense as you don't get locked into one milling center and you also get teh CAD software..

We wont be locked into using Argen. But We will be very connected to them. Their support appears to be really good. They will download their design/milling parameters to our software and work with us to dial the variables for more accurate and consistent results. They seem to be on top of their support.

D

Denko

Reaction score
Unfortunately we do have to wait 3-5 weeks for delivery of a scanner. We will be getting financing the scanner and saving our available funds for rainy days and unexpected expenditures to be safe. Argen is who we chose but not the offer that was on the flyer. The details haven't been completely figured out yet but we are in the works. Their pricing and level of support was a major influence.
Thank you to everybody that gave advice. I very much appreciate that you took time to help.

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
  1. Get a Medit T300 or T500 scanner. Use the bundled scan software (colLab 2017) to scan cases and generate .stl files. Outsource design.
  2. When you are happily scanning buy Exocad and start doing your CAD design in house. It will take time to learn Exocad. Outsource milling.
  3. Pay off your scanner and Exocad or if you paid cash use the monthly profit to save for your mill.
  4. Buy your mill and furnace and begin doing production in house.
If you don't know CAD/CAM it is better to learn in stages: Scan, Design, Mill. Buying everthing at one time and trying to learn all of it while under financial pressure is not pleasant. Get your scanner, learn how to use it. Then get CAD software and learn how to use it. Then get the Mill/CAM and learn how to use that.

Can these scans be used with 3shape ? does also support the Stratos to scan mounted cases ?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I haven't found anybody local as low as the Argen Price.
you never will, either. argen is one of the biggest players in the game, so they have to have among the lowest prices. everything else if its local or smaller than argen's 3 digit employee roster, will necessarily have higher prices.

accept that, and redefine your strategy. don't ask little players to give you argen prices when clearly they can't match it.

they don't offer expensive models because they need to turn a profit. they are expensive because they cannot produce for lower. most labs who have argen's scanners and dongles are already paying argen for the right to play the game, so argen is already making their cut.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Can these scans be used with 3shape ? does also support the Stratos to scan mounted cases ?

Yes, you can scan with Medit scanners and colLab 2017 scan software, save as .stl and design in 3Shape CAD. There is a simple settings change in the scan software that will output the file in the correct orientation for 3Shape.
You can scan a full size articulator in T-Series scanners (included with T500, optional for T300)
We offer a single jig to support for Artex, Kavo, SAM articulators. We also offer jigs for Mark 330 and BIOART A7+ articulators.

More info on articulator scanning can be found on page 11 of our brochure: http://meditcompany.com/s/2017-NEW-IDENTICA-T-SERIES-catalogue-en_170315-final.pdf

Articulator scanning workflow video:

Virtual articulator mounting plate video:

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Looks like your back in the past century with your jigs . 8 minutes respect !! Looks like you made the things complicated.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
impossibly-cute-puppy-6.jpg

D

Digital Dental 1

Reaction score
The Argen package is open and doesn't lock you into a specific vendor and probably the best price/value around

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
hit right on the head. besides that get a Wacom Cintiq 22" at least we like the 27", and a CLEAN space (like a drafting table)
Oh I have to pick your brain on the cintiq. I am itching to get one, but wanted to see how you design with the pen. How do you do the right click, left click and scroll command of the mouse? I have an employee with some handicap on her right hand. She managed to learn how to use her left hand, but I am hoping to help her out with the cintiq that her work goes smoother and faster. She can close her fingers but can't open them. I can not find a video on youtube that is in English ( or German)