What Would You DO?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think this at the point where you people whip out your assault rifles and start spraying a Walmart or something.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
One day and the thread has three pages,sounds like a lot of thought. Should you wish to keep the DDS sit in on impressions if they agree. It might be an assistant that let the impression wait until the end of day or forgot util next morning to pour it up. Now fretting about it will do no more than upset your stomach steal sleep & give you cranial pain. If you did tryin you have at least 4 trips and models articulation baseplate setup & processing the material isn't all that much but you time is. If the DDS returned it and you still have the models well at lest you have a demo to show new possible accounts.
I still have something called a rolodex with little red tape on about 35 DDS, these are DDS that I wouldn't take work from but some still call. When they call now I suggest they send to Tom, thanks to the forum for resources. I'min IL there are so many DDS I don't know how they survive, your state might have fewer at which time you need to work with them.
Should you be new you will probably have to work with them or remember 1 unhappy customer talks to at least 6 friends.

Karabear I like your new avitar.

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I'd eat it...but that's me. I would however chalk this up as a learning experience and recollect whether or not you tried everything in your power to work through this with the Dentist. If it's permissible, I would of taken the Doc the models and present it to him, he's a DDS and if it fits the impression but not the mouth then that should send up a red flag to him and his staff. Ask to sit on the next impression, read the impression instructions, see if you can spot something they are doing wrong, but at the same time let it be the moment you and Doc aren't focusing on the blame game and working towards a solution. I know it all sounds easy, but most labs only need one case to reel in a Doc, figuring out the Docs dislikes/likes and quirks are all about keeping that Dentist. In fairness, there is a very minute group of Dentists that have no hands whatsoever, for whatever reason, you'll never find that median in the road. Good Luck

ditto, i'd be likely to think about a visit too, and try to identify the source of the problem and therefore a solution. Getting a good reputation for problem solving and teamworking will be a great marketing asset in the long-run.
Bdf, could you organise a presentation involving the material manufaturer? advice on techniques may be more readily accepted from an authority on the subject, and take pressure away from you through a constructive approach.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
One day and the thread has three pages,sounds like a lot of thought. Should you wish to keep the DDS sit in on impressions if they agree. It might be an assistant that let the impression wait until the end of day or forgot util next morning to pour it up. Now fretting about it will do no more than upset your stomach steal sleep & give you cranial pain. If you did tryin you have at least 4 trips and models articulation baseplate setup & processing the material isn't all that much but you time is. If the DDS returned it and you still have the models well at lest you have a demo to show new possible accounts.
I still have something called a rolodex with little red tape on about 35 DDS, these are DDS that I wouldn't take work from but some still call. When they call now I suggest they send to Tom, thanks to the forum for resources. I'min IL there are so many DDS I don't know how they survive, your state might have fewer at which time you need to work with them.
Should you be new you will probably have to work with them or remember 1 unhappy customer talks to at least 6 friends.

Karabear I like your new avitar.

And I dont think anyone learned anything from it???

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's easy to eat it if it tastes like sushi,

but if you made it from your own blood sweat and tears, then it becomes a bit harder to stomach.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
I'd eat it...but that's me. I would however chalk this up as a learning experience and recollect whether or not you tried everything in your power to work through this with the Dentist. If it's permissible, I would of taken the Doc the models and present it to him, he's a DDS and if it fits the impression but not the mouth then that should send up a red flag to him and his staff. Ask to sit on the next impression, read the impression instructions, see if you can spot something they are doing wrong, but at the same time let it be the moment you and Doc aren't focusing on the blame game and working towards a solution. I know it all sounds easy, but most labs only need one case to reel in a Doc, figuring out the Docs dislikes/likes and quirks are all about keeping that Dentist. In fairness, there is a very minute group of Dentists that have no hands whatsoever, for whatever reason, you'll never find that median in the road. Good Luck

Mr.Rob offers wise counsel. This is how i would do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

B

Bdf

Reaction score
ditto, i'd be likely to think about a visit too, and try to identify the source of the problem and therefore a solution. Getting a good reputation for problem solving and teamworking will be a great marketing asset in the long-run.
Bdf, could you organise a presentation involving the material manufaturer? advice on techniques may be more readily accepted from an authority on the subject, and take pressure away from you through a constructive approach.

1. This dentist DID NOT give me an option to solve the problem.

2. He solved it himself! He knew it fit the master model which I made the flexible on. He took a new impression and it would not fit the new model. The case would have fit the new impression if he would have relieved the flexible 1/2 MM.

3. IS adjusting partials and dentures not a common practice?

4. He did not call me to tell me it would not fit. His Office manager called me when they were billed for the case and told me that it would not fit therefore they were NOT going to pay for it.

5. I went to the office at that time (two weeks after the case had been tried in) and saw the new model and compared it to the master model.

6. AGAIN I would have fixed the case at no additional cost if they would have given me the option

7. I spoke with the dentist BUT you could tell that he did NOT want a solution to the problem

8. They sent the case to another lab.

9. Under these circumstances I feel that he owes me for this case

user name

user name

Reaction score
Sorry to be an ass, but we've all been there. Learn a lesson. Move on.
imagesCAKZX0TL.jpg

B

Bdf

Reaction score
Sorry to be an ass, but we've all been there. Learn a lesson. Move on.

There is only ONE lesson to learn here - don't do anymore work for this dentist.

SO most you are afraid of standing up for what is RIGHT?

I am NOT afraid of losing my reputation it was established years ago.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Instead of cryin over spilled milk......go milk another cow.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yes we've all been there,in fact I'm being there as we speak.
I'm having a hard time letting go as well ,so I know how you feel, but the others are right.

It especially pees me off when you get the attitude from the gate keeper who is relaying the attitude from the dr.I think it becomes a cancer that carries through the dental community.

There are better offices out there!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
There is only ONE lesson to learn here - don't do anymore work for this dentist.

I'm sorry, I thought you were asking a question, sounds like you've already ran over the dog.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Walk away fast, very fast. If the guy wont let you sort out a problem on a simple flexy then just think how you would of felt on an implant retained case
Now that would make your blood boil, he is a ****! You know it, we know it and you can bet his staff know it. Walk away and just say thank god we only got shafted on a simple case. Pete

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score

It sounds like you are answering your own question. Send him the bill, if its not paid, Take it to small claims.

End thread.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score

i feel you pain brother. but like someone said already. it happens to all of us. and yes.. it sucks.
now, i know this is not what you want to hear but you came on here asking.. so you get to hear it anyways... :)

a few weeks ago i made a clearsplint nightguard and got the call that it would not seat. that was a first for me and i have been making these things for a long time. anyways .. so i walk across the parking lot to the office to see if i can help while the patient is still in the chair. they always get the original model back and sure enough it fits on the model just fine. doc says make another one... i said no prob can you get me another impression.

we get the new imp poured up and im comparing the new with the old..
there were two fillings and an inlay done after the original impression was taken. of course it wont seat.
i called the doc and asked about it. he said .. that was not the case. said he was looking at dates on the chart and the original imp was taken after the work was done. so... i said.. sorry doc my mistake. but.. i had the two models in my hands. clearly he is wrong.

i immediately made him a new nightguard. and.. i relieved the other one so it fit the new model and delivered them both. so now the patient has two. no charge for the second. all done same day.

why didn't i just take the models over and show him?
because i know he knows the truth. he just didn't want to look like an idiot. and.. im sure i have been there before.

but the other reason is this..

i get about 135.00 for the nightguard.
but he can do around 15k annually. maybe more.

im not going to risk 15k for 135.00.

so now its in the past. and i know our relationship will be even better.

yes, i know this was not standing up for what is right but i know what really happend. and that will be good enough.

look at everything long term.
always, always .. keep the idea of a good relationship first and foremost. and you will stay as busy as you want to be.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I was going to post a similar story but stopped writing as every lab owner has gone through the exact same thing. I was going to ask if the OP is new to the game but then he said he already has built up his reputation.

I think his situation is a little different. It sounds like he isn't going to be getting anymore work from the dentist and he doesn't want to do anymore work for the dentist anyways. This case will be the final case and final payment so he just wants what he is owed and doesn't have to worry about the future with this client.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
When someone disappoints you in a relationship, the question is not “Why did he or she do that?” It’s “Why did I attract this relationship into my life and what am I supposed to learn from it?”

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
Hi, my opinion about this kind of problems that the dentist knows that its not the lab the problem but its him because he's been in this situation before with other labs so what i'l do in this situation is i would leave his office on a friendlier note by telling him you will be there for him for any kind of help...
that's my opinion and 22 years of experience. You don't know one day he might come back like it happened to me ...
one thing we should know that some times its very obvious the impression not being good and communicating with the dentist about the problem before it
occurs and if we don't see any problem then we go in the grey area that who's right and who's wrong saying that we have to be a mind reader some times
to tell the dentist about the obvious mistake or suck it up and go on doing business.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

Last edited: