What Would You DO?

B

Bdf

Reaction score
I just finished a flexible case, We did a try-in, the doctor sent it back to be finished. The finished case looks really good and fits the master model well.

When the doctor delivered the case it would not fit the patients mouth. He took another impression, and it won't fit the new model. You can look at the models and visibly see that #15 tooth has shifted. The doctor sent the case back to me, wants credit for the case because he is sending it to another lab.

If he had sent the case back to me I would have remade it on the new models and not charged him but i wasn't given that option.

Because the case fits the master model I feel that he owes me for this case. This is the second case on which he has done this and most likely the last case I will get from him.

What would you do?

Would you insist that he pays for the flexible denture or would you forget about it?

Thanks

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I hope you have his cc #.

I would send him the invoice.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
I'll never forget this, Dr. XXXXX, "I know it fits the master model, but you didn't make to fit the mouth".

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Charge the DDS and when sending the statement send it signature required, second statement the same and if DDS is a putz send a letter of intent to small claims with the third. The account is gone anyway go all the way if it is your first time enjoy the SC experience bring the original model & denture to court (really shine it up) let the judge decide (I've noticed lately Judges not happy with rich DDS abusing little poor labs). Have all your paper in order and no smart a55 stuff (it only backfires).
Ahh my first time the anticipation the nervousness, the initial fear & a little pain and then at least on the second time I had my paper work right and had the sanctification of the win, & each time just think how much money the DDS looses just to have to take a day off!

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Charge the DDS and when sending the statement send it signature required, second statement the same and if DDS is a putz send a letter of intent to small claims with the third. The account is gone anyway go all the way if it is your first time enjoy the SC experience bring the original model & denture to court (really shine it up) let the judge decide (I've noticed lately Judges not happy with rich DDS abusing little poor labs). Have all your paper in order and no smart a55 stuff (it only backfires).
Ahh my first time the anticipation the nervousness, the initial fear & a little pain and then at least on the second time I had my paper work right and had the sanctification of the win, & each time just think how much money the DDS looses just to have to take a day off!

Judge Judy was on her game that day .

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Judge Judy was on her game that day .

Now wouldn't that be a great show? letting the country know how little the DDS actually pays the poor lab tech!!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We would need a handsome dude like you for the ratings week.

B

Bdf

Reaction score
Thanks,

I think we have everything covered on the back of every invoice and statement the following is printed

Our Guarantee
For a period of one full year we guarantee (1) the workmanship of new removable restorations and (2) that all new removable restorations will fit the master model and bite assuming abutment teeth were prepared to industry standards appropriate for the prescribed restoration. Failure due to accident, neglect, abuse, changes in tissue or bone structure, additional tooth loss, or improper dental hygiene is not covered.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
Our Guarantee
For a period of one full year we guarantee (1) the workmanship of new removable restorations and (2) that all new removable restorations will fit the master model and bite assuming abutment teeth were prepared to industry standards appropriate for the prescribed restoration. Failure due to accident, neglect, abuse, changes in tissue or bone structure, additional tooth loss, or improper dental hygiene is not covered.

Hey BDF I like that and I'm stealing it, Think it'll work for an in-office lab tech?popcorn

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I have this directly above the DDS signature. when I reprint the work orders I will add something Jackson has on his mostly that the court will be in his county. I prefer the DDS to pay court costs.
Warranty as Per Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) ¶2-315 Particular
Purpose. As per trade practice there is NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANT-ABILITY.
I reserve UCC ¶2-508(1) Right to Cure & UCC ¶2-709 Action
for Price. "Dentist agrees to pay all reasonable collection costs including
Attorneys fees, court costs, and interest on unpaid invoices/statements,
interest on late payments to be 2% per mo. compounded monthly."

rkm rdt I've only seen Judge Judy a few times but it seems that it is mostly big people and I'm just a skinny old guy.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
You guys all seem very professional and I like to get paid as much as Im able, but...
If my work doesnt go in the mouth, I dont get paid. Regardless that the work fits the model, it must fit in the mouth and be suitable for the intended purpose. I dont get paid to create models or assign blame. Im hired to provide a prosthetic. For whatever reason...no fit, no pay.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
You guys all seem very professional and I like to get paid as much as Im able, but...
If my work doesnt go in the mouth, I dont get paid. Regardless that the work fits the model, it must fit in the mouth and be suitable for the intended purpose. I dont get paid to create models or assign blame. Im hired to provide a prosthetic. For whatever reason...no fit, no pay.

that is no excuse. you can only be AS accurate as your impression; if the case came out of the mouth wrong it will go back into the mouth wrong. no way in the three circles of hell can you make something fit someone's mouth when your impression has spears, or lacks data.

proper case planning prevents piss poor performance.

knowing you don't get paid unless it fits is giving your dentists licenses to abuse you and do lazy lazy work.

user name

user name

Reaction score
that is no excuse. you can only be AS accurate as your impression; if the case came out of the mouth wrong it will go back into the mouth wrong. no way in the three circles of hell can you make something fit someone's mouth when your impression has spears, or lacks data.

proper case planning prevents piss poor performance.

knowing you don't get paid unless it fits is giving your dentists licenses to abuse you and do lazy lazy work.

Absolutely correct...we can only work with the impression, so we need to be on our toes and not let sloppyness become acceptable. In my State, (may be different elsewhere ?),regardless of the product...it must fit, do, function, perform, etc. as expected or theres no obligation for the purchaser to pay. Not my rules. The law.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I believe that any lab will work with a DDS to come to the desired result. The need for court time is when in my case a DDS chooses to not to work things out, or chooses to be unreasonable. The goal is to have a patient that can use the appliance as long as possible. Should I be required to take responsibility for things that I do not do? I do not take an impression, why is it that so many DDS want to blame me for their inability to deliver to me something that is relevant to be useful for the purpose needed. I generally do not see the patient I can only work on what I have to work on.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Absolutely correct...we can only work with the impression, so we need to be on our toes and not let sloppyness become acceptable. In my State, (may be different elsewhere ?),regardless of the product...it must fit, do, function, perform, etc. as expected or theres no obligation for the purchaser to pay. Not my rules. The law.

in that case then, do you not make try-in jigs? surely everyone who does a denture will do such for the denture before proceeding of course, but i mean for even C+b work ? there has been one case i can remember where we had to make a tryin jig to verify the validity of the impression before proceeding with any of this guy's work. it amounted mostly to a semi- useable Essix retainer really, to verify dimensions and arch form.

this guy was some piece of work too, he got so PO'd that we were doing this, that he wanted us to pay for the chair time.

hellz no.

P

paulg100

Reaction score

just to clarify, are you running a business or a charity?

Here's an idea.. how about you SHARE the blame, both technically and financially.. thats what teamwork means!

Last edited:
karabear

karabear

Reaction score

With all due respect, isn't this argument irrelevant?

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I just finished a flexible case, We did a try-in, the doctor sent it back to be finished. The finished case looks really good and fits the master model well.

When the doctor delivered the case it would not fit the patients mouth. He took another impression, and it won't fit the new model. You can look at the models and visibly see that #15 tooth has shifted. The doctor sent the case back to me, wants credit for the case because he is sending it to another lab.

If he had sent the case back to me I would have remade it on the new models and not charged him but i wasn't given that option.

Because the case fits the master model I feel that he owes me for this case. This is the second case on which he has done this and most likely the last case I will get from him.

What would you do?

Would you insist that he pays for the flexible denture or would you forget about it?

Thanks

I'm always suspicious when the remake gets sent to another lab, sounds like the dentist is pulling your chain. How long have you worked together?

End of the day, clients like that aren't worth having, life is much easier without them.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

Last edited: