What Would You DO?

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
What state are you in? That doesnt sound right, so in your state you can go to a dressmaker give them your wrong body measurements have a outfit made then turn around and make them make it again for free? These are custom products we manufacture their has to be responsibilty from the other party as well. That can not be the "law"
You guys all seem very professional and I like to get paid as much as Im able, but...
If my work doesnt go in the mouth, I dont get paid. Regardless that the work fits the model, it must fit in the mouth and be suitable for the intended purpose. I dont get paid to create models or assign blame. Im hired to provide a prosthetic. For whatever reason...no fit, no pay.

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Charge him, yes
no question

1. This dentist DID NOT give me an option to solve the problem.

2. He solved it himself! He knew it fit the master model which I made the flexible on. He took a new impression and it would not fit the new model. The case would have fit the new impression if he would have relieved the flexible 1/2 MM.

3. IS adjusting partials and dentures not a common practice?

4. He did not call me to tell me it would not fit. His Office manager called me when they were billed for the case and told me that it would not fit therefore they were NOT going to pay for it.

5. I went to the office at that time (two weeks after the case had been tried in) and saw the new model and compared it to the master model.

6. AGAIN I would have fixed the case at no additional cost if they would have given me the option

7. I spoke with the dentist BUT you could tell that he did NOT want a solution to the problem

8. They sent the case to another lab.

9. Under these circumstances I feel that he owes me for this case

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
There are some instance where someone borrows $10 from you and you never see them again - dont view it as a loss - it's value for money!

J

Jmichael

Reaction score
I normally bill remakes at 50% (and tooth resets for retrial),unless the dentist is really a repeat problem. If working with them and attempting to suggest solutions or alternatives does not get positive results, I charge full price for remakes & resets. Thankfully, I get VERY few remakes, but do have an account with a bite-taking problem, resulting in some full price tooth resets for retrial. For the OP's dentist, charge him for it. He ain't worth keeping.

1959cutter

Reaction score
Hi,I'm new to these forums and this is my first post.
if the denture/partial doesnt fit,then I get the work back before I give credit for it(this way,the doc isn't giving the PT two for the price of one)
I had one doctor not want to adjust a one tooth flipper,and sent it back,because it didnt drop right in.
after 30 years I am able to do a complete F/F set up without wax biteblocks,just measurments(VDO,incisal edge and midline) with no try-in and no remakes.
but I still feel insecure about my work,as i have worked by myself all these years,and have no comparison,other than what my dad taught me working with him.
the doctors pushed my dad around all those years,because they could,now that he is gone,iv'e changed the rules a little.
no pay,no work from me.
after fifty years,our lab has outlasted any removeable competitor to come to town.
just keep your head down and ears open, and after throwing-up every morning,go to work and do your best.

it's worked for me

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
Hi, my opinion about this kind of problems that the dentist knows that its not the lab the problem but its him because he's been in this situation before with other labs so what i'l do in this situation is i would leave his office on a friendlier note by telling him you will be there for him for any kind of help....
I think your being generous, the Dentists that I've seen with that attitude are too narcissistic to except any responsibility for a negative outcome.

MagicMo

MagicMo

Reaction score
You guys all seem very professional and I like to get paid as much as Im able, but...
If my work doesnt go in the mouth, I dont get paid. Regardless that the work fits the model, it must fit in the mouth and be suitable for the intended purpose. I dont get paid to create models or assign blame. Im hired to provide a prosthetic. For whatever reason...no fit, no pay.

Anyone else have blood pressure issues right now?! And that works for you? Really? I always assign blame along with a an invoice and I explain why if I'm asked. I'm not a martyr, I'm a working professional, my time is money and I'm worth every penny. I may however, give a discount depending on my mood. If it fits the model, my job was done. I have a few Drs that would love to send work to you. I guarantee after a few cases you would change your mind, if your still working at that point. Seriously, your time is worth charging for. It's perfect timing to start a new charge for a remake in 2013.
My two cents, Maureen

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
When someone disappoints you in a relationship, the question is not “Why did he or she do that?” It’s “Why did I attract this relationship into my life and what am I supposed to learn from it?”

Exactly.