what compressor to go with????

M

MoonShaun

Reaction score
We have gone with the Mini, will be getting it in 3 weeks after training. Heres my question, we are looking into getting another compressor to run the mill and possible another mill later on. I am not looking to run the whole lab and building off of it, so what would your alls suggestions be? I know thatI need to maintain a constant 110 psi. I would just like to have everything set up so when i bring the mill back i can go ahead and start milling that day, I have a couple of weeks to prep for it and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We have a stand up 80 gallon IngersolRand 2HP that runs the lab and one VHF Mill, same as the mini. I have the output PSI up near 110 and all our lines are underground, that compressor is maxed out and I can see the air level fluctuating up and downin psi levels by 10-20psi We are planning to upgrade very soon to a rotary driven compressor. What you want to look for is the CFM out put of the compressor, I think the Mini takes around 2-3 cfm. so for two minis you will need at least a 8CFM output compressor most likely a 4HP compressor. I highly suggest a Rotary Drive over a belt drive, Rotary will cost more but pumps the air in the tank much faster and you will ALWAYS have a constant air flow, no more air fluctuating up and down in psi levels.

Atlas Compressors are very good as well as Kaeser

Atlas Cost less, is rotarty driven, you can personally service it when needed, parts are cheaper and you can run it indoors and no one will know it is one unlike the belt driven compressors.
Kaeser Costs more. is rotary driven as well, you will have to have a service guy service it cause it is a pain and much harder then the Atlas, Parts are more, and the Kaeser is sold in pieces, you have to buy the tank and air conditioning unit all separate from the motor as were the Atlas is sold as one complete ready to run unit.

Be ready to spend some good money if you want to run two minis, just plan for the future and purchase that way, upgrading in this section will cost you time and money, then you have to sell the first compressor you bought just cause you wanted to save a few $$$ not worth it in the long run.

Hope this helped

Sevan

gatorteeth87

gatorteeth87

Reaction score
We got ours off Craigslist for $300. It is an ADP (Apollo Dental Products) dental office compressor with two separate oiled compressors. The thing is build like a tank, took three guys to lift it up into our Uhaul. Each compressor is mounted to the chassis with four large springs to keep noise and vibration down and has an electric cooling fan that stays on. It runs our VHF mill, as well as the rest of the building with five technicians without blinking and these Dental Office compressors have receiver driers built in, so air is always clean and dry. We used to fight with the ones you buy from hardware stores and install inline with compressor to dry air and they just don't do the job. Its also much quieter than the Craftsman compressor we used to have.

Look around for used dental office compressor, these things are the bizzniss.

Top Bottom