Can anyone recommend a compressor?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Carbon printers require a compressor?
Yes, quite a bit of cfm for the bigger ones. Also, requires a suction with waste gate as well but that's miniscule compared to the air demand required.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Hush, it's a negative 5 degrees F, don't be cold hearted like me. Also, I started just like everyone here...probably worse off. Kitchen table and a pipe dream.
Only -5F ? Rofl lol... The Alberta clipper had warmed up considerably till it got to your place. It was -50F up there a few days ago. Mind ya, it is 87F (~30C) down here at the moment...

Gigieiya

Gigieiya

Reaction score
we got a rotary screw for our 350pro+
MasterAire, and i love it. MORE than enough
We are located in Europe so that's not an option.
Local Atlas made nice $ proposition but it seems their equip is 400 V and this might be tricky...

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Only -5F ? Rofl lol... The Alberta clipper had warmed up considerably till it got to your place. It was -50F up there a few days ago. Mind ya, it is 87F (~30C) down here at the moment...
I was waiting on that 80 degree weather report...87F, you own any pants anymore?

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I was waiting on that 80 degree weather report...87F, you own any pants anymore?
Did you have to add compressors or did you already have the capacity for your pm7 and carbon?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
HahahaShorts only... haven't tried on any of my pants lately, perhaps they won't even fit anymore

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
We are located in Europe so that's not an option.
Local Atlas made nice $ proposition but it seems their equip is 400 V and this might be tricky...
I am sure theres a distributor over in europe for these models. MA isnt the manufacturer, they def come from that hemisphere lol

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Hope you guys never get a PM7 or a Carbon Printer. The PM7 requires a constant 130 p.s.i, the Carbon needs 115 p.s.i.
Not many single phase compressors can do that, almost have to have a three phase compressor to push that much air. Just food for thought.
Yeah, the PM7 is a tremendous air hog. We're running a PM7, an imescore 350i, Two carbon printers, and like 10 Rolands simultaneously, and we bought an absolutely gigantic screw compressor with a massively-oversized air receiver to meet and exceed the lab's needs going into the future... but the air lines installed in the building themselves are now the bottleneck. Trying to feed that entire lab with a long run of iirc 1.25" pipe is a real challenge, and if we add anything else that's air-hungry, we'll either need to lay down a second parallel air line to supplement the first, or replace the current line with something appropriately girthy. The supply is adequate, but we get severe pressure drop because of the line length + draw at the business end, enough pressure drop that we're running the system at 130psi and it's coming out the other end around 100. Trips the PM7's low pressure alert sometimes.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the PM7 is a tremendous air hog. We're running a PM7, an imescore 350i, Two carbon printers, and like 10 Rolands simultaneously, and we bought an absolutely gigantic screw compressor with a massively-oversized air receiver to meet and exceed the lab's needs going into the future... but the air lines installed in the building themselves are now the bottleneck. Trying to feed that entire lab with a long run of iirc 1.25" pipe is a real challenge, and if we add anything else that's air-hungry, we'll either need to lay down a second parallel air line to supplement the first, or replace the current line with something appropriately girthy. The supply is adequate, but we get severe pressure drop because of the line length + draw at the business end, enough pressure drop that we're running the system at 130psi and it's coming out the other end around 100. Trips the PM7's low pressure alert sometimes.
I just added on, and believe it or not, the damn air lines (installing them) cost more than anything else...a 100k just in air lines. I wasn't expecting that, but it's done.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
I just added on, and believe it or not, the damn air lines (installing them) cost more than anything else...a 100k just in air lines. I wasn't expecting that, but it's done.
I think we were trying to cheap out by buying a 200 foot reel of flexible 1" hose and just running it in parallel along the current air lines mounted on hangers from the roof, instead of getting proper steel pipe air lines. Awful solution that'll barely supply one extra machine, but hey, we can get it on amazon and hang it ourselves using ladders, don't even have to call in a pro.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I think we were trying to cheap out by buying a 200 foot reel of flexible 1" hose and just running it in parallel along the current air lines mounted on hangers from the roof, instead of getting proper steel pipe air lines. Awful solution that'll barely supply one extra machine, but hey, we can get it on amazon and hang it ourselves using ladders, don't even have to call in a pro.
HaHa, been there. The only flex lines that rotary air compressors can handle come in the green color flex. The oils in the rotary air compressors will eat through any regular pex air line out there. Our metal lines, the expensive ones are actually aluminum with special connectors. Even had a couple come loose when we first started it up and holy shltballs batman, thats dangerous...blew a hole through the wall, sounded like a tornado hit us. We used Prevost air lines...good stuff, just expensive and very labor intensive to install (had the professionals do it).