Uses equipment pricing question

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am thinking about purchasing some used lab equipment from an individual. Neither of us have purchased or sold used lab equipment before. How do you go about determining the value? Most of it is going on six years old. Ceramic furnaces and a few other fairly major items.

Thanks!,
Jason

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Look at todays new prices for similar from China.

Who cares what it cost Six years ago. Totally not a factor for you as buyer. What matters is todays value, as it sits...

The seller may disagree, and remember the day he paid all that $$..seems like yesterday to some. LOL

Is equipment still sold? For example...the NEY Centurion oven has had zero changes in over a decade. I would value that higher than some obscure brand that is no longer sold, or that model is long history...

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
since sooo much dental equipment ends up there anyway....
try going to ebay..
under advanced search....
click the "completed listings" option...
This will at least give you an idea of what the items youre looking at have sold for recently.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I have bought several items over the years. I have never paid more than 40% and most of the time 15% to 25% of new. Most sellers think their stuff should be worth a lot more than it really is. DUH!
Don't get sucked in. I would rather buy new than pay 50% for a used item. I bought my D/W series 5 for 25% of new and I could have probably gotten it for less if I had been more knowledgeable about scanners at the time. I'm sure there are some here that would say I paid to much. Live and learn.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was thinking no more than 40% just wanted to make sure. Just don't want to get into something just to have it go down in a few months etc.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was thinking no more than 40% just wanted to make sure. Just don't want to get into something just to have it go down in a few months etc.

I think 40% might be high for 6 yr old equipment.

I would look closer to 25% or less, it's electronic equipment and too many things can need replacing.

If he has a porc furnace that is $4000 new today $1000 is the very max I would pay and that may be high.

How do you know he has never shut it down. He could have had it idling at 1000 f for the last 6 yrs.
If you dont buy, its going to sit in his basement till his wife makes him take it to the dump in 5 yrs.

Anything that is not name brand is worth very little. Pennys to the dollar.
High spead hand peice, assume you will have to replace the turbine which can be 50% of the value.
Eletric hand peices assume either the hand peice the electronic box or the foot control will die soon.
I wouldnt pay more than $200 for a 6 yr old electric hand peice that cost $1000 new. And that may be high, think of how many thousands of hours are on that hand peice over the last 6 yrs.

Vacumns like a Vaniman, assume the motor will blow any day and you are buying the box and hoses with out a new motor. Assume that vacumn has ran non stop 8 hours a day 6 days a week for 6 yrs.

Mabey you could bundle items.
Offer him $1000 for that 6 yr old Ney Centurian furnace and vacumn pump.
($3500 new) if he throws in the handpeice and the vacumn.

I dont think they make the Centurian anymore it is the QEX now making the Centurian obsolite?

Assume you will need a new muffle on the furnace and it may not be drawing 100% vacumn anymore, thermacopule is ready to go,front electronic panel is ready to go, a new motor for the vacumn and bearings on the handpeice and a new foot control. The on and off switch on the hand peice box etc.

I have some equipment that has lasted me over 20 years ans still going strong, but figure after 10 years used equipment is worthless and you are saving him a trip to the dump.
Except for stuff like a castiing well which is a heavy duty peice of furniture
and you know it wont break or metal cabinets.

A new bowl for a vacumn mixer can be $200 and there is alot of electronic stuff in a vacumn mixer that blinks out.
For a 6 yr old vacumn mixer 20 % of todays value, Mabey 25% if he throws in a vibrator and rubber mixing bowls and spatula and plaster bin and scales.

Model trimmer 25% mabey 30% if he throws in a lathe with a quick changechuck.

Most used lab equipment is worthless except for stuff like a low hour Ivoclar pressing furnace and IMO if he has old equip or if he cant make it in this business you are doing him a favor takiing it off his hands and he should be thankful he can sell any of it because in 5 more years he wont be able to give it away. So I for sure would bundle related peices.
Pay for one take 2 off his hands for free.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Depending on the quality and what shape it's in I pretty much fall into line with the folks that already posted 20-30% of new. Especially the way the economy is these days.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have sold Three Centurion ovens in the past few years..

I got well over 70% of what I paid! Crazy huh! (I paid less years ago when they were cheaper)
I felt bad for buyers, but oh well? I did a nice ad on ebay...downloaded the manual from dentsply and printed it out in pretty handbook. took very good photos.

Same with decades old model trimmer that I spray-painted. I couldn't believe what it sold for!

C

charles007

Reaction score
I think Al and Rob nailed it 20-30% Tops. I have 2 Brasseler Upower UP500 electric hand pieces that need repairing... Will cost $500. to replace and almost the same to rebuild. Basily worthless since the foot controls are old and the control box is worthless without the handpieces..These were $1000+ new. Have 2 old outdated porcelain ovens worthless, with vac, will cost more to ship than the value to sell..
Good news, going to bury my casting machine and Harris torch next year and take pictures if anyone wants to buy a picture :D Hech its Christmas, send a stamp and I will sent for free :)

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
10 cents on the dollar. Its always harder when you know the seller as then they are always thing you are screwing them.

If their is ONE good item that you want bundle and give him a bit more. Only buy what you need or it will soon become your head ache to resell these things.

Scott is right EBAY is an amazing placed filled with fools that over pay on things. Back in the 90's it was a place that I scored many many thousands of dollars worth of dental equipment at below 10cents on the dollar. Today its way harder to find that gem of a deal but they are still there if you think like a person that doesn't have a clue what they are trying to sell.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I think Al and Rob nailed it 20-30% Tops. I have 2 Brasseler Upower UP500 electric hand pieces that need repairing... Will cost $500. to replace and almost the same to rebuild. Basily worthless since the foot controls are old and the control box is worthless without the handpieces..These were $1000+ new. Have 2 old outdated porcelain ovens worthless, with vac, will cost more to ship than the value to sell..
Good news, going to bury my casting machine and Harris torch next year and take pictures if anyone wants to buy a picture :D Hech its Christmas, send a stamp and I will sent for free :)

Yeah I agree about the porc furnaces It can cost more to to ship and repair than they are worth.
Its like buying a used computer.

A 2 or 3 yr old porc furnace is different but 6 yr old.

In 30 yrs I have taken 8 porc furnaces to the dump and gave one away. They discontinue models and you cant repair them anymore or the parts and labor cost too much.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Hey Al, told you not to buy cheap ovens back when you were a Viking .. Unitek CDF would have oulasted them all :D

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It was all those extra bakes:)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Hey Al, told you not to buy cheap ovens back when you were a Viking .. Unitek CDF would have oulasted them all :D

My first furnace was a water cooled Hubert furnace.
Then I had 2 of the old crank up Jelenko furnaces. Manual vacumn on and release and dial the temp for the buzzer to go off 100 degrees early then release the vacumn.

Then the Jelenko Flagship and then Commadore came out. Cats meow, auto furnaces. It was like something from Startrek. Top of the line stuff.

I see one is on sale on ebay for $600. Thats alot for a 25 yr old oven.

What was your first, one of the Neys manual furnaces?

Thes were my 1st and 2nd furnaces.

Check out the hand crank on the side and the knobs that shut and opened the vacumn valves. The dial on the left controls the temp increase you would have to set it and time it to tweek how many degrees it would increase per minute.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_jelenkoa.jpg

This was a big upgrade. Knob on the front to crank it up, built in vacumn gauge switchs to turn the vacumn on and off rather than valves.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_jelenkob.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_jelenkoa.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_jelenkob.jpg

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
And here I thought my Intratech Pro90 were archaic LOL

Wow them are some old school ovens Al!

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Guess I was spoiled. My first experience was a ney centurion and a jelrus VIP. My old boss treated that jelrus like gold. It was almost four grand if I remember right and that was a big deal at the time. We spent many a night burning up synspar in those furnaces lol. I grew up in a lab where we over built and over cooked everything lol.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Lol! just remembered something. He used to get so upset if he had to add a contact. Would round everything to hell Haaa! I remember thinking to myself, I never want to try ceramics. I thought it was an extremely difficult time consuming task that would still end up bad if you could not get it built in one lol. Sorry had to reminisce.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Mabey you could bundle items.
Offer him $1000 for that 6 yr old Ney Centurian furnace and vacumn pump.
($3500 new) if he throws in the handpeice and the vacumn.

I like the bundle idea. It has worked good for me. Just be patient.