Titanium Inodizing - Gold easy and Pink problem

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
How much do you charge for anodizing? I dont charge for it because they dont ask for it, but maybe if I stop, they will request it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Argen will anodize my custom abutments for free.
Straumann will not.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I think Atlantis charges a "gold hue" fee as an add on option.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
The gold hue on Atlantis and Straumann ti abutments is titanium nitride. Much more durable than anodizing. Both charge extra for this enhancement but the extra cost is negotiable depending on volume

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We charge around $40 to gold hue an abutment.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The gold hue on Atlantis and Straumann ti abutments is titanium nitride. Much more durable than anodizing. Both charge extra for this enhancement but the extra cost is negotiable depending on volume

In the oral environment, will an anodized surface eventually fade or leach off, and would that "stain" the tissue?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
In the oral environment, will an anodized surface eventually fade or leach off, and would that "stain" the tissue?
It will not stain. Staining is a transfer of coloration, usually with a transfer of material. Iron rust stains as it grows thicker and rubs off the outer layer onto objects brushing against it.

Anodizing doesn't go as deep as the Nitride treatments, and is a different chemical reaction. Both can be scraped/worn/rubbed off, but it's (hopefully) sub-g so it would be a real trick to do it without a metal tool probing. But an anodized layer will be removed with less effort.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Annodizing just creates a very thin layer of titanium oxide on the surface of the abutment. The thickness of that layer is what creates the colors. It could be worn off if something was abrading it.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you, JMN and Brett :)

So since the anodized layer is below the tissue, we should be fine. I appreciate the feedback :)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
But since it's October, I'm just wondering if Frankenstein had some anodized Zimmer abutments placed by the good Dr Frankenstein,
if when he placed the roach clips on frankies battery post terminals, then was hit with all that electricity, if that changed the color of franks anodized abutments? :)

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
But since it's October, I'm just wondering if Frankenstein had some anodized Zimmer abutments placed by the good Dr Frankenstein,
if when he placed the roach clips on frankies battery post terminals, then was hit with all that electricity, if that changed the color of franks anodized abutments? :)

View attachment 31102
Depends. Was Frankenstein's Monster in an appropriate solution at the time of energizing?

Edit: I take the wrong things way too seriously.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Depends. Was Frankenstein's Monster in an appropriate solution at the time of energizing?

Edit: I take the wrong things way too seriously.

I think so, as in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, the body was in a chamber in a water solution with electric eels.
lol...now I'm taking it to seriously? :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I think so, as in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, the body was in a chamber in a water solution with electric eels.
lol...now I'm taking it to seriously? :)
If they were young enough they'd give only around 100v so he have a nice green hue, but adults give over 700v, so it might not be a color we could see.

oh, wait they give off AC not DC, so there's no constant direction of charge flow and no, not gonna anodize his plugs.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Frankenstein is one of my favorite all time novels.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
kudos, if I charged $40 for that Im pretty sure it wouldnt be requested, maybe for certain cases..

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
also, the instructions say that for colors higher than 75v you need to make sure the probe is sanded and clean
the oxidation on the end of the probe, and the piece itself, will add/subtract from the final outcome. definitely sanding helps conduct the current so effective voltage at the piece to be anodized is higher, yielding crisper and cleaner looking coatings.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Straumann still doesn't offer retention lines which makes any extra cost too much.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
@rkm rdt nice change up to the Herman Munster avatar with all this Frankenstein talk :Top:

Last edited:
G

grantoz

Reaction score
some people use diet coke ive tried sugar soap and washing machine powder they work.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Is there any zirconia that will mask these abutments out, without anodizing them? 1541016791361.png