Titanium denture frames

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Do not have much call for titanium. Would you also be able to mill chrome? Where are you located?
Still trying to.nail that down. For.now the options are Saskatoon or some small town in the GTA.

Hard no on the chrome. Its possible but i would rather not try to compete, but offer service complementary to other labs that want to be able to offer ti AND chrome instead of pure chrome.

Y

Yuugen

Reaction score
I've seen old Zr/TI hybrid implant when i Was in Auckland that i remake the zirconia and the Ti base is still nice and shiny and did not turned black or tarnished, So maybe something to do when its casted

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I I'm also having a problem sourcing bar stock for cobalt chrome.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
chrome is way too expensive and annoying to mill anyway, might as well stick to casting that...
I have no idea what people are talking about with the comments about oxidation and deformation....I have never seen it

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Maybe cast titanium might do some of that, but milled titanium probably won't. Ti is not a reactive metal so blacking would be tarnish and inert metal like ti and gold don't tarnish.

So i don't believe you.

No worries, you can believe what you like.
I cast, finished, polished and ultimately remade them in wironium. But, hey, Im just some schmuck in a lab...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure it was titanium frames that did this and are you at all clear if they were milled or cast

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Every site i have reviewed about any grade titanium indicates titanium does not blacken or tarnish in water or exposed to oxygen. TiO2 layer in fresh ti forms in 5 mins but doesnt go deeper than 25um even many years after initial formation due to density of titanium.

Blackened frames may have been due to plating, or anodyzation, or impurity. I am seriously doubting here but willing to entertain you if you have more info because i know i dont know it all.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Every site i have reviewed about any grade titanium indicates titanium does not blacken or tarnish in water or exposed to oxygen. TiO2 layer in fresh ti forms in 5 mins but doesnt go deeper than 25um even many years after initial formation due to density of titanium.

Blackened frames may have been due to plating, or anodyzation, or impurity. I am seriously doubting here but willing to entertain you if you have more info because i know i dont know it all.
I have 0 experience with cast titanium, however I have yet to see any factory machined implant abutments turn black in the mouth. Impurities for casting is my guess on the discoloration.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure it was titanium frames that did this and are you at all clear if they were milled or cast

This was in the 90's... I was casting Ti with a Dentaurum casting machine. Still have it in storage. The blackening was intermittent, but on a majority of the frames. We didnt have an answer for why it happened. More of an annoyance was the fact that all the clasps would bend out and lose retention constantly. The metal is too soft, and doesn't have any elasticity to retain it's shape. The doctors were seeing patients for adjustments to tighten clasps often.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Casting ti needs such high temps that the ti needs to be liquified, not just molten to be cast, because it takes mere seconds to solidify and cool.

If it had blackened, i really cannot see many ways it ciuld happen, because as you maybe aware billets of ti are cast into pucks, or rod stock to cut into discs, and nobodyreports discs that have gone black.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Casting ti needs such high temps that the ti needs to be liquified, not just molten to be cast, because it takes mere seconds to solidify and cool.

If it had blackened, i really cannot see many ways it ciuld happen, because as you maybe aware billets of ti are cast into pucks, or rod stock to cut into discs, and nobodyreports discs that have gone black.

I retract my blackening statement. I talked to another guy here who was doing them with me at the time. The blackening was caused by medication interactions; but we had a good number of them. Never tracked the medication down.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I retract my blackening statement. I talked to another guy here who was doing them with me at the time. The blackening was caused by medication interactions; but we had a good number of them. Never tracked the medication down.
Interesting. Curious now if the meds changed the patient's ph enough to cause this??

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Interesting. Curious now if the meds changed the patient's ph enough to cause this??
That pH increase or decrease would have to also combine with dissimilar metal corrosion in order to effect the metal because as it is just acid the metal should not react being an inert metal. A change in voltage due to dissimilar metal corrosion would cause a slight colour change due to anodeization.

Or, the partials were coated in some kind of gunk that built up with meds and food and adhesive over time. Or even brushing with toothpaste.

Regardless, milled metal clasps would be different to cast, or even printed ti. I don't think clasp loosening will be a big deal.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
And, drumroll please. It causes me immense anxiety to sign papers that go to any government, but i will be attempting to stomach the articles of incorporation by the endof the week.

I cant stress enough how immense that anxiety is. I lose sleep. I get faint. I cant see straight.

This is hard for me.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
And, drumroll please. It causes me immense anxiety to sign papers that go to any government, but i will be attempting to stomach the articles of incorporation by the endof the week.

I cant stress enough how immense that anxiety is. I lose sleep. I get faint. I cant see straight.

This is hard for me.
Have a beer (or two) get over it and move forward. Soon the signing of paperwork will be the least of your stress. Then, have a beer (or two) move forward.......

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

This is hard for me.
welcome to my world.

D

Dzimp

Reaction score
Titanium of any grade can be anodized in any color. pink, gold, green) Don't thank)))

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in order to fund this adventure, i'll be spending the next couple years milling zirc instead. i should be able to turn tidy profit, and save enough cash to self-fund the purchase of the CNC i'd need for Titanium, or at least the one i'd trust to help bring the costs down to where i can make a profit and do what i love.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Where are you setting up shop?