Tips and Tricks for your lab

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
If those were layered emax crowns, do I need to be concerned about any cracking due to the hot glue onto a layered frame in a "cold" impression?

I was concerned about that , never tried though. I used this way only once ,yesterday.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If we learn from our mistakes, I must be one of the most learned.

Doing a boil out. Thought I'd leave the flasks in there while I ate. Y'know Self care and the Lab Tech and all...
Get back to the flasks and one of them has fallen open. Hey! I musta done a real good job on flasking that one!
Pick up the intaglio half, rinse.
Pick up the occlusal half. Drop before it gets 2 inches.
Pick up the occlusal half. Drop again, the 'open' side face down.
Pick up the occlusal half. Drop again. Open side down, again.
Finally get the slippery little sucker out of there and notice, of course, 23-26 have fallen out.

They're just swimming around at the bottom of 4.5 gallons of 170ish F water having a great time.
Joy. I can't even see the bottom with all the wax that's floating on top.

Remembered I'd made a (questionably) business purchase of a USB memory stick sized LED flashlight and had a small USB battery. Hummm.
Lithium batteries don't like heat, rapid discharge, or physical damage.
Put it together in 3 nested zippy bags. Didn't want it blowing up in my face. Literally.
Figured I had about 2 minutes tops before it got too hot and did the thermal runaway thing giving off some geek fireworks.

Dropped it in and WOW it worked!
Grabbed the loooong handled sponge holder... Heeere fishy fishy fishy, uh, toothy toothy toothy toothy toothy

I truly hope no one needs this trick!

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
If we learn from our mistakes, I must be one of the most learned.

Doing a boil out. Thought I'd leave the flasks in there while I ate. Y'know Self care and the Lab Tech and all...
Get back to the flasks and one of them has fallen open. Hey! I musta done a real good job on flasking that one!
Pick up the intaglio half, rinse.
Pick up the occlusal half. Drop before it gets 2 inches.
Pick up the occlusal half. Drop again, the 'open' side face down.
Pick up the occlusal half. Drop again. Open side down, again.
Finally get the slippery little sucker out of there and notice, of course, 23-26 have fallen out.

They're just swimming around at the bottom of 4.5 gallons of 170ish F water having a great time.
Joy. I can't even see the bottom with all the wax that's floating on top.

Remembered I'd made a (questionably) business purchase of a USB memory stick sized LED flashlight and had a small USB battery. Hummm.
Lithium batteries don't like heat, rapid discharge, or physical damage.
Put it together in 3 nested zippy bags. Didn't want it blowing up in my face. Literally.
Figured I had about 2 minutes tops before it got too hot and did the thermal runaway thing giving off some geek fireworks.

Dropped it in and WOW it worked!
Grabbed the loooong handled sponge holder... Heeere fishy fishy fishy, uh, toothy toothy toothy toothy toothy

I truly hope no one needs this trick!

View attachment 32452
So, have you processed them yet? Did the separator adhere to the model and investment? They say you're not supposed to let the wax liquify during boilout, supposedly it can cause stone to stick to acrylic. Just wondering how they turned out.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So, have you processed them yet? Did the separator adhere to the model and investment? They say you're not supposed to let the wax liquify during boilout, supposedly it can cause stone to stick to acrylic. Just wondering how they turned out.
Let you know.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
No issues at all with stone adhesion. APS by DVA is the separator I use and I put it on the models before waxing, and everywhere but the basal surface of the teeth after boilout.
That and God really does watch over fools.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thin, tall, magnetic strips for easy boxing for denture models. I've sen these for sale at something like $30 for one 6x10. They are intended for making bumper stickers removable and you can get a 10pk of 6x12 for less than $30 before shipping.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Adding @Jo Chen 's beauty of an idea at the suggestion of @Doris A

I didn't have white locator spacer or a processing pack on hand as dds ' had everything'

So cut up and use a glove for the spacer!

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
did it work?
Really really well. A slight bit of copolymerization. It stuck mildly to the acrylic, but pulled off, didn't have to be ground off or anything like that.

Biggest win is the pt who'd been slamming his keys on the counter and yelling yesterday left happy and content today. Got a call from the office saying it was a quick delivery and they were pleased.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Thin, tall, magnetic strips for easy boxing for denture models. I've sen these for sale at something like $30 for one 6x10. They are intended for making bumper stickers removable and you can get a 10pk of 6x12 for less than $30 before shipping.

My model guy boxed out an impression for epoxy with the cheap duct tape from Harbor Freight and it worked great.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
really really need to make sure you remember something?

Open notepad, type a note, then take a screenshot (print screen button on keyboard)
Open Paint, paste, save to desktop.

Right click desktop, left click personalize.

Choose "picture" from Background drop down list, then left click browse to go find your screenshot that you saved.

Will not be able to use the computer without seeing it every time.

I've had sticky notes fall and get missed.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 28
user name

user name

Reaction score
really really need to make sure you remember something?

Open notepad, type a note, then take a screenshot (print screen button on keyboard)
Open Paint, paste, save to desktop.

Right click desktop, left click personalize.

Choose "picture" from Background drop down list, then left click browse to go find your screenshot that you saved.

Will not be able to use the computer without seeing it every time.

I've had sticky notes fall and get missed.
Seems complicated. Why not just use sticky note from the start menu?

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
IMG-20200924-WA0007.jpeg IMG-20200924-WA0011.jpeg IMG-20200924-WA0007.jpeg IMG-20200924-WA0011.jpeg IMG-20200924-WA0013.jpeg
I casted it up to use it as a furnace tray .
Some friends told me it will harm the furnace muffle and baking ceramic because of the repeated firing of the metal !!!
Do you think so?
4all nickel chrome alloy

C

charles007

Reaction score
Yes it will/can over time, not worth the worry of contamination

Adi

Adi

Reaction score
Yes it will/can over time, not worth the worry of contamination

It will/can , don't worry !!! How come?
And do you have an explanation of the reason , is it because of the oxidation?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It will/can , don't worry !!! How come?
And do you have an explanation of the reason , is it because of the oxidation?
At tye temps our funaces operate they've gone from doing just chemistry to chemistry and physics. You are changing the metal and it is releasing elements (periodic table of elements not the heater elements) the furnace won't like much.

Basically you are degassing/oxidizing that whole himk of metal every time you heat it.